Bird Flu Redux

Our office manager is kind of a germ phobe. She distributed to all a product called Purell instant hand sanitizer, that purports to kill 99.99% of "germs." So is this a meaningless product or will it really help the spread of colds and flu?

Martha there must be something about the office managers, the one here is like that too, almost to being over the top about it.

I believe if people would practice good hygiene we wouldn't have these problems.

Martha said:
Our office manager is kind of a germ phobe.  She distributed to all a product called Purell instant hand sanitizer, that purports to kill 99.99% of "germs."  So is this a meaningless product or will it really help the spread of colds and flu? 
We are a wholesaler of this product along with all sorts of janitoral supplies and paper products. We sell a lot of hand sanitizers to hospitals and clinics. It is a good product.  :)

I'd love to see a graph of the media's panic-of-the-month versus time. That is, you'd see each panic rise and fall, to be replaced by a new one:

Freeway Shootings
Shark Attacks
Alar on Apples
Anthrax in the Mail (don't forget to stock up on Cipro!)

I'd say that WAB got it right.

The world needs a little culling, on the order of about 2-3 billion. It would be a lot less painful to do it by cutting down on reproduction, but whatever!

I'd love to see a graph of the media's panic-of-the-month versus time. That is, you'd see each panic rise and fall, to be replaced by a new one:

Freeway Shootings
Shark Attacks
Alar on Apples
Anthrax in the Mail (don't forget to stock up on Cipro!)

Makes me long for the simple days of killer bee invasion threats and hiding under tables in the case of nuclear war. I guess it beats duct taping your house in plastic and suffocating yourself.

maddythebeagle said:
Makes me long for the simple days of killer bee invasion threats and hiding under tables in the case of nuclear war. I guess it beats duct taping your house in plastic and suffocating yourself.

Ah yes the good ole days of the cold war...seems so long ago.

I'm not saying it's exactly the same thing, but this reminds me of the "Swine Flu" "Epidemic" and the massive government overreaction back in the 70's. It's very interesting because it's something no one even mentions anymore.

I was still a teenager when the government strongly advised all citizens to take the vaccine. I chose not to take it and was very glad I didn't.

If they crank out a vaccine I guess we will all be faced with the decision of whether or not to take it. I know I would need to do a lot more research and reading before making that decision.

John

Do you remember the symptoms of swine flu?

1. High fever
2. Congestion
3. An irresistable urge to make love in the mud.

Heck, I never got the swine flu and I still like to do it in the mud. :D

Martha said:
Our office manager is kind of a germ phobe.  She distributed to all a product called Purell instant hand sanitizer, that purports to kill 99.99% of "germs."  So is this a meaningless product or will it really help the spread of colds and flu? 

Use soap and water

wab said:

Just be sure to wash at least 10 seconds. Which is a lot longer than the couple of seconds of hand washing I see going on in most restrooms.. :(

EDIt: This reminds me of a couple of years ago when an employee wanted me as president to discipline a lawyer for never washing after using the restroom.

“Being ill is one of the greatest pleasures of life, provided one is not too ill and is not obliged to work until one is better.” Samuel Butler

Martha said:

Purell works. It is just like cleaning your hands with alcohol, except that there is an included moisturizer.

Haha

Vaccinate kids, not the elderly to help control flu?

http://www.slate.com/id/2127860/?nav=tap3

"Because the human immune system weakens with age, only 28 percent of elderly people who get vaccinated develop immunity. The low rate of protection means that 84 percent of all elderly (the 72 percent whose vaccinations don't take, along with those who don't get vaccinated) remain prey to a flu virus that runs otherwise largely unchecked."

<snip>

"For an airborne virus, kids are the conduit of choice. Fortunately, though, kids are also the conduit most easily blocked. Their immune systems respond wonderfully to flu vaccine. A whopping 90 percent are successfully immunized by a flu shot, compared to the 28 percent figure for the elderly and 60 percent for middle-aged adults. "

OK, how many of you think this is a govt. plot to prepare the American public for a possilbe shortfall in developing sufficient quantities of bird flu vaccine? Sounds better than saying "We're going to sacrifice the old and infirm in an attempt to save the next generation."

Remember, you aren't paranoid if they are really out to get you.... ;)

No iddea if its a waste of money, but I ordered some N100 masks. I suppose that if the plague doesn't materialize, I'll wear them when I am painting and sanding.

brewer12345 said:
No iddea if its a waste of money, but I ordered some N100 masks.  I suppose that if the plague doesn't materialize, I'll wear them when I am painting and sanding.

Hilarious, I ordered some earlier this week as well.... same rationale as you too- "If I don't use them for the flu, I can use them for sanding the boat's fiberglass"

I figured it wouldn't hurt to have some Tamiflu on hand, so I called my doc's office and they basically said "what a coincidence; we just had a meeting on this issue, and decided we won't be writing any rx for Tamiflu." Oh, well.

Also, there's some hope that we'll have a one-dose prophylaxis:

Peramivir

wab said:
I figured it wouldn't hurt to have some Tamiflu on hand, so I called my doc's office and they basically said "what a coincidence; we just had a meeting on this issue, and decided we won't be writing any rx for Tamiflu."   Oh, well.

Also, there's some hope that we'll have a one-dose prophylaxis:

Peramivir

Also a coincidence.... my Dr said the exact same thing. Do you live the Seattle area by any chance?

Marshac said:
Also a coincidence.... my Dr said the exact same thing. Do you live the Seattle area by any chance?

I thought you already had some. I was just headed over to your place to nab it. (If you would have caught me, I would have shown you my "Crane Spreads its Wings" Tai Chi move.)

I imagine that docs are saying the same thing all across the country right now. Get it while you can.

brewer12345 said:
No iddea if its a waste of money, but I ordered some N100 masks. 

I think I will get some of these and decorate them to wear in salsa clubs. I think it would be accepted. Going out dancing is a wonderful way to expose yourself to whatever is around. I keep Purell in my pocket. I am considered bizarre by the others, who never give it a thought.

Ha

HaHa said:
Going out dancing is a wonderful way to expose yourself to whatever is around. I keep Purell in my pocket.

Ha's dance parter asks, "So is that Purell in your pocket or are you just glad to see me? :D

wab said:
I thought you already had some.   I was just headed over to your place to nab it.   (If you would have caught me, I would have shown you my "Crane Spreads its Wings" Tai Chi move.)

I imagine that docs are saying the same thing all across the country right now.   Get it while you can.

The lack of Rx is why I ordered online.... believe me, I would have rather paid my co-pay than full price :p

Marshac.....Would you mind sharing where you ordered the tamiflu online with us?

Back
Top Bottom