Has anyone participated in a vaccine (non-covid) trial?

Turbo29

Full time employment: Posting here.
I received an email from CVS asking if I wished to participate in a vaccine trial (they had my email due to me getting my covid and flu vaccines there).

I filled out the questionnaire and was contacted. The phase 3 trial is for a vaccine for respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) to be used in adults 60years and older. I thought this was only a children's disease but found out it can be very deadly in older adults too.

If I participate, I will be given a vaccine or a placebo vaccine (50% chance either way). I will then be followed via a phone app for two years. If I develop cold symptoms I will go and have my nose swabbed to determine if the symptoms are caused by RSV or not. They didn't say what company it is but Google strongly indicates to me that it is for a mRNA vaccine being developed by Moderna.

There is a remuneration for participating and remaining in the trial as well as an additional amount for each swabbing visit. It's not a large amount and is not a consideration in my decision to participate or not.

I am sort of on the fence. I've never had a serious reaction to a vaccine although the Shingrix second gave me a very painful arm and a sick feeling for about 18hr. All four covid vaccines I took were very mild. Still, you never know.

On the hand, if no one ever participated in these trials, we would never have any vaccines.

Any comments?

Do what you want to do.

Yeah, it's a choice only you can make.

RSV is no joke. Right before COVID, a 70 year old church friend got it from her grandchild. Pneumonia followed and she passed away. She had risk factors, but man it was a surprise. Your volunteering may save someone like her in the future.

I'd consider a phase 3. I'll leave the phase 1 & 2 to someone else.

Last edited:
I have done phase 1 trials for a living for most of the last decade. I would not do it if I didn't need the money. All of the studies I have done have been riskier than the one you are considering and I have never had any significant adverse effects from any developmental medication in over 40 studies. I don't recall any of them being vaccine studies but I wouldn't be against doing one if the money was right and it worked with my schedule.

I've participated in a clinical trial for a covid vaccine and another trial for a flu vaccine. My wife has also participated in a couple of clinical trials.

It is a personal choice. Thank you for considering participating.

I'm in the tail end of a Phase 3 pneumococcal vaccine trial. I was assigned to the group where I had 2/3 chance of getting Merck's V116 and 1/3 chance of getting their FDA approved Vaxneuvance. Only one more phone screen left to do. Won't know for several more months which one I got.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t do it but the Covid vaccine made me sick for 4 days all three times.

Just be aware that you may receive a 1099-Misc every year if you receive more than $600 from the clinical trial sponsor. Some people seem caught off guard when they receive the 1099, so just wanted to mention it.

Update:

The chance was 50% of either getting vaccine or placebo (saline). I got the shot at about 1pm yesterday; didn't even feel it. I proclaimed, "That was the most painless shot I have ever gotten, it has to be saline." Woke up this morning with a slightly swollen arm at the injection site. This progressed to moderate pain and redness by mid-afternoon. This was accompanied with a slight fever (37.7°C), muscle aches, and tiredness. I hope it resolves by tomorrow. In any case, I think my original guess of saline was incorrect.

Yeah, me thinks you got the real juice. But that sounds like typical "shingles/flu/covid" shot stuff.

Glad you decided to participate. DW and I are in year two of an RSV trial (Janssen Pharmaceuticals). The original trial timeline had us receiving a second dose this month at the start of this year's "RSV season".

But we were informed during our visit that the trial results were favorable and it was determined that a single dose was sufficient. We need to continue using the app to track symptoms for the next year but absent any illness, no more office visits are required

The only negative for us was the need for an office visit and all the associated testing with any cold-like symptoms. That included Covid-19 and one simple cold.

Neither of us experienced any side effects from the shot so we're probably in the placebo group but we won't know for sure until the trial is over. And yes, we get a 1099 and need to account for that in tax planning.

Back
Top Bottom