Bird Flu Redux

TromboneAl said:
If the virus mutates in such a way that it can drive a car and operate automatic weapons, we'll be in trouble too, but the chances of that happening are pretty small.

Yeah, but it'd be pretty cool.

The mutations are pretty random (combination of replication errors and swapping genes with other viruses). The mutation rates of flu viruses are very high (RNA replication is more error prone than DNA replication). But it's the selective forces that determine which mutations survive. I can't imagine any selective forces that would drive viral evolution towards joy riding in cars.

But, these viruses infect your lungs. We expel matter from our lungs all the time, so there's an easy transmission route. I have no idea why H5N1 isn't easily transmitted from human to human. Maybe it needs a open wound as a point of entry. Maybe it can't survive outside of the body very long. Maybe it infects cells deep in the lung where it isn't easily expelled.

It seems probable to me that it will eventually evolve a means of human-to-human transmission, but I couldn't guess how long that would take or whether that strain will have other mutations that make it less lethal, for example.

Here are some tips somebody in the "biz" sent to me.   Nothing really new here, but useful info nonetheless.

The take-away message is not to panic, but to consider rational, comprehensive preparedness and response in the event of a pandemic.
The first thing to do is to pay attention to news reports. The movement of the Bird Flu virus to Europe is important,
but this is far less important than its spread to people. Thus, our antennae must be tuned to human infection and,
particularly, to the first case or cases of person-to-person transmission. If this occurs, certain preventive measures are essential:

1. Minimize travel
2. Avoid crowded places
3. Wash hands with soap and water and use hand sanitizers
4. Eventually, if the outbreak becomes significant and proximate to your area:
a. Wear a protective mask in public
b. Stay at home if possible
c. Keep your children out of school

Even absent a pandemic, simple preparedness measures are in order. Our staff of medical doctors and public health experts recommends that you have a general prevention and preparedness plan for both home and work. Some of the items to consider are:

• Developing a telecommuting plan to encourage ill employees to stay home and prevent transmission of illnesses to the remainder of the workforce
• Acquiring properly-fitting N-95 filtering facepiece respirators for necessary tasks, e.g. Travel, care of sick family members, etc.
• Acquiring and storing an adequate supply of food and water

Attachments

• Hannibal_lecter.jpg
    Hannibal_lecter.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 73
Here's one of the best stories I've read so far on H5N1. It even tells you how to decode the name!

Canadian Press

Summary: Don't worry about it unless/until you need to worry about it. :)

Anyone know what flu type this year's vaccine is designed to prevent?

Nords said:
Anyone know what flu type this year's vaccine is designed to prevent?

The 2005--06 trivalent vaccine virus strains are A/California/7/2004 (H3N2)-like, A/New Caledonia/20/99 (H1N1)-like, and B/Shanghai/361/2002-like antigens.

CDC

wab said:
The 2005--06 trivalent vaccine virus strains are A/California/7/2004 (H3N2)-like, A/New Caledonia/20/99 (H1N1)-like, and B/Shanghai/361/2002-like antigens.
Man, I knew there had to be a reason for today's 90-minute nap. And I wonder if sabumnim will mind if I catch a snooze between sparring rounds tonight...

Some folks are at greater risk and should get their flu shots early this year...

Attachments

• Bigstrans.gif
    Bigstrans.gif
    32.4 KB · Views: 26
Back
Top Bottom