Black Friday 2011...here we go again

freebird5825

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am an anti-shopper, and even more so during the holidays. No way, no how am I going anywhere near the bigger retail stores. :nonono:

Or are these folks the crazy ones for camping out for DAYS before the shopping craze on Black Friday?
Has anyone seen this happening in their area?

I'm continuely amazed that these people do this especially by me up in the frozen tundra with lows usually below freezing this time of year. I went to Best Buy once about 15 years ago and stood in line for 2 hours from 10pm to midnight...never again!

Yep. I drove past a BB yesterday and saw a tent by the front door with two "campers" sitting in chairs beside it.

For me, no way would spending a week 'concrete camping' be worth saving a couple hundred bucks on a TV, but to each his own.

Or are these folks the crazy ones for camping out for DAYS before the shopping craze on Black Friday?

I haven't seen that happening here this year, and I am mildly surprised to read that it is happening in other areas. This economy is the pits.

We went to Best Buy yesterday and there were almost no customers in the store and nobody hanging around. They also wanted $26 for an iPhone USB cord only 3 feet long or so, which was the reason for our visit. :mad: Once I regained the power of speech I politely and very clearly communicated my opinion of that insane price, which stood my hair on end. They had no cheaper off-brands displayed. After walking throughout the store we left (without the cord, obviously).

Bear in mind that the recession after Katrina was kind of a one-two punch in the gut for our local economy, so local conditions may not be typical.

Last edited:
Last tv I purchased was online. Delivered right to the front door. No way I'm standing in a long line, certainly not camping outside a store. Ebay and online retailers have made me a happy camper.;)

We went to Best Buy yesterday and there were almost no customers in the store and nobody hanging around. They also wanted $26 for an iPhone USB cord only 3 feet long or so, which was the reason for our visit. :mad: Once I regained the power of speech I politely and very clearly communicated my opinion of that insane price, which stood my hair on end. They had no cheaper off-brands displayed. After walking throughout the store we left (without the cord, obviously).
Brick and mortar stores usually have huge markups on accessories like the USB cord you're shopping for. Amazon and many other reputable online stores have excellent prices and even if you end up paying for shipping you'll see savings of 75% or more.

Brick and mortar stores usually have huge markups on accessories like the USB cord you're shopping for. Amazon and many other reputable online stores have excellent prices and even if you end up paying for shipping you'll see savings of 75% or more.

Thanks, I'll try Amazon, then. They should have a better price. As the saying goes, "I was born in the morning, but I wasn't born yesterday morning!" and so I refuse to pay $26 for 3 feet of cord... and now I have some ideas of where to look. :flowers:

Edited to add: $0.87 from Amazon, with free shipping! Most of the reviews said it works, but even if it turns out to be junk it's worth a try at that price... I can find that much in loose change under the seat in my car.:LOL:

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll try Amazon, then. They should have a better price. As the saying goes, "I was born in the morning, but I wasn't born yesterday morning!" and so I refuse to pay $26 for 3 feet of cord... and now I have some ideas of where to look. :flowers:

Edited to add: $0.87 from Amazon, with free shipping! Most of the reviews said it works, but even if it turns out to be junk it's worth a try at that price... I can find that much in loose change under the seat in my car.:LOL:
Mr B suggested CyberGuys.com, saying they usually have any kind of cable you could possibly want. :D

What is black Friday and why should I care?

I have very fond memories of Black Friday. Mom was over 80 and the oldest person in line at Circuit City at 5:00 am. Strangers wrapped blankets around her to keep her warm. We teamed up with another family group of women. We would get the USB drives and SD cards and they would get the CDs and DVDs. We would meet in line and exchange. All went as planned. Then the real fun started. There was a young couple in line. She had come to meet his family and cared nothing about geeky stuff but loved him. She acted as the runner, fetching things for others. When a man in line heard that the shredder I wanted was gone, he gave me his because he only got it because it would be free after rebate. Lots of trades ensued. Everyone was cheerful and happy and helpful. We were all in the first 100 in line and received a free digital camera. My family has a $15 limit on gifts and it was really worth a little time in line to stretch that limit.

Now I mostly work the internet -- many doorbusters are also available online.

Yep. I drove past a BB yesterday and saw a tent by the front door with two "campers" sitting in chairs beside it.

For me, no way would spending a week 'concrete camping' be worth saving a couple hundred bucks on a TV, but to each his own.

Sounds like an Occupy BB event is getting started. :ROFLMAO:

I find it depressing that anyone would spend that much of their time to save money on some widget or another.

There is _no_ product in either Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etc that I would wait in line for to get FREE much less just a discount.

Maybe there is a social element to this I'm unaware of...

GM

Friday is also Buy Nothing Day
We're planning a major Home Depot run tomorrow, a major Wal-Mart run on Tuesday, and a restock run to Costco on Wednesday. It's the usual list of home-improvement supplies and weekly groceries.

After that we're not going to the first two stores until 2012, and we won't be back to Costco for over a week.

I haven't been to our closest major mall in over two years. At this point it's almost becoming a personal challenge to see how long we can stay away...

What is black Friday and why should I care?

Black Friday has only been celebrated in recent years. It commemorates an event that almost doomed the Pilgrims. As the Pilgrims approached the new land, still a mile offshore of Plymouth Rock, all three of their ships, the Nena, the Pinto, and the Santa Rudolpho, ran aground at low tide onto a sandbar. It was really a mud bar, but they were always called sandbars back then.

A big storm was approaching, and if caught on the mud bar, their ships would be torn apart. The situation looked real bad. Their leader, Miles Standish, was called upon to save them. He went to the bow, looked down at the water, looked at the thee ships fast aground, then looked up to the heavens and shouted "A RISING TIDE LIFTS ALL BOATS!"

Nothing happened. He walked around the deck, looking East, West, North and South. Still fast aground. He yelled to the heavens again "A RISING TIDE LIFTS ALL BOATS!"... still nothing. The skies were darkening and the wind was picking up. They were in great danger.

One of the worried Pigrims whispered to another "get Standish's cousin, the other Miles, up on deck to give it a try". So the other Miles came up on deck and tooted a horn to the heavens. The ships rocked slowly from side to side, and suddenly they were free!
One sailor was heard to remark "that Miles Davis blows a wicked horn!"

The three ships made it to the landing at Plymouth Rock just in time. The Friday was the day, the Black was the mud that held them back.

Centuries later, we celebrate their victory with the offering of green, and the collection of worthless trinkets.
And Miles Davis did blow a mighty wicked horn.

Apparently some people have taken it to be part of their holiday traditions/preparations. But then, some people like snow too.

I'll never understand either.

Apparently some people have taken it to be part of their holiday traditions/preparations. But then, some people like snow too.

I'll never understand either.

I love snow! More so now that I don't have to deal with it anymore...:D

I scored some super deals in the past few years. I usually go because the hunt is fun. However, I scout what I want beforehand, and it is never the "when they're gone they're gone" stuff. I like the free coffee and doorbuster freebies, I regift the feebies. Plus, people watching cracks me up. Since I get up at 6am every day, what's a couple hours earlier? :)

Since some stores open at 10 PM, you could do both black Friday and buy nothing Friday! ;)

I saw a news article that said that many things were in fact cheaper in the two weeks after black Friday.

Back
Top Bottom