Bought a new PC yesterday. It has wheels!

Southern Geek

Recycles dryer sheets
Purchased a 2015 Prius Four. As a geek, I couldn't be happier to be driving a computer. The operating manuals for the vehicle are as nearly thick as some of my OS manuals. It's my first hybrid. Until I drove it off the lot, I'd never driven a Prius before, although I'd been a passenger in some Gen I and Gen II several times. It is going to take some getting use to, especially the Smart Key technology. I keep taking the darn thing out of my pocket to open the doors and start the engine. :LOL:

The next time you drive another car, you'll find you're sitting in the seat with the keys still in your pocket.

Congrats on the new wheels.

I've never driven a hybrid or electric car, but I like how quiet they are when they drive by.

smart key. hrmph. On my new to me 2008 bmw little wagon the key can be in my pocket, and when the car is locked it unlocks when I touch the door handle. Well and good, but if I DON'T lock the door and take the key (my standard for in the garage parking) the car's electronics stay alert and discharge the battery enough to make it's computer go into conservation mode and kill the memory for the clock/calendar. Saves a bunch of electricity, that. No dip stick or coolant temp gauge either. Bet your 2015 Prius is smarter...

Congrats on the new wheels. I love technology and gadgets. But all our cars are old clunkers... it's a combo of my LBYM mindset and a utilitarian view of cars. Our Ford truck is a '97 that still has manual window cranks. The newest car is an '06 BMW with some very primitive and unintelligible NAV system that we don't even use. BMW wants like a million dollars just to update the maps, which are now ancient and not usable.

Still, I would love to have a car with some of the new technology offered today. We're thinking maybe in 2017 and we're also looking at hybrids... and something that supports Android Auto, which I'm pretty excited about.

Congrats The Prius is my dream car. I should have bought one while I was working and driving 25 miles to work in heavy traffic. Now I'm only driving a couple hundred miles in a month and don't need great gas mileage. But the car is really comfortable to me.

My Car Buying Experience

TLDR: Still a lot of dealerships out there that don't understand how to deal with geeks who buy everything over the Internet

I purchased the Prius using the Web. Spent 2 days doing research. I knew I wanted a Hybrid or EV, and was leaning toward an EV, but my research indicated to me that EVs are still in beta test. Since I buy vehicles new and then keep them for more than a decade, reliability is my #1 criteria when selecting a vehicle for purchase, and research showed the Prius as the most reliable Hybrid. I then did some research to pick the trim that I wanted and decided on the Four.

Next, I visited the usual suspects (KBB, Edmunds, NADAGuides, Truecar, etc.) to get an idea of what I could expect to pay. It appeared to be a good time to buy a Hybrid as sinking gas prices have left dealers with a lot of unsold inventory. Good time to buy a Prius as the 2016 Prius models will be the new Gen IV and dealers are trying to get the Gen III 2015 models off their lots. All the above sites were showing that dealers were selling the vehicle at prices at lowest end of price spectrum.

The Prius was to be a replacement for my Ford Ranger that I purchased new in 1998. It still had some miles left on it, but sometime in the next year I was going to have to spend some significant $ on maintenance. I decided that I'd rather spend the $ on a new vehicle. Still, it was hard to let go of the truck as it has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I took truck down to the local CarMax and got an appraisal.

Appraisal in hand, it was time to start the buying process. I went to the web sites of 5 local Toyota dealers and did a search on their inventory for a base Four. From the returned results, I picked a specific vehicle and used their online form to request a quote on that specific vehicle (VIN#). In the Comments section of the form I stated that quotes were to be in writing to the provided e-mail address; quote was to be out-the-door price listing all taxes, fees, etc.; calls to the provided phone number would not be answered; that I was soliciting quotes from 5 dealers on identically configured vehicle; and that I would purchase the vehicle the next day from dealer who provided lowest quote.

What happened next I found to be interesting. Dealer A responds within 5 minutes with a written quote just as I had specified. Dealer B responds within 15 minutes, also with written quote as specified. Dealer C calls several times, but I don't answer so he leaves voicemail asking me to call him back. Eventually, Dealer C sends me an e-mail, but the mail is not the requested quote. Instead, it extols the virtues of the Prius and asked me what day/time I would be making an appointment to test drive the vehicle. I send a reply informing the salesman that I had requested a quote on a specific VIN# and that I would not be visiting any dealerships except to complete paperwork to purchase the vehicle. He replies OK, he would send me a quote shortly. Never heard from Dealer C again. Dealer D calls several times, but never e-mails requested quote prior to deadline. Dealer D would send an e-mail later the next day asking what day/time I wanted to make an appointment to visit the dealership. I don't get any response from Dealer E prior to deadline. Later the next day, I would get several calls, but never an e-mail.

So by next day I had quotes from 2 dealers. I had hoped for 3. Both quotes were lower than the lowest average sales price at the car sites. Dealer A was ~$400 less than Dealer B. That morning, I replied to Dealer A quote, accepting the offer, and asked what info was needed to expedite paperwork to minimize my time at the dealership. He told me what was needed (DL# and POI) and I provided it. I also told him that I would like to offer my Ranger in trade if dealer paid competitive price (didn't tell him that I had Carmax appraisal in hand). I arranged for DW and I to meet him at dealership in 45 minutes. By the time I got there, he already had the vehicle prepped. He took my keys to get truck appraised, and while that was happening, we did a walk around, and he went over all the manuals and papers that came with the vehicle. The appraisal on the truck was a lowball, but when I showed them that I already had a much better offer from CarMax, they matched it. After that, it was just a matter of signing paperwork (I paid cash, but there was still a lot of paper to sign). When that was done, the salesman got in our new Prius with us to go over the operation and features. When he learned I'd never driven a Prius, he insisted that I do a standard test drive to make sure I understood how to operate the controls. All in all, it was a pleasant experience.

I will admit that I am mystified that in this day and age, a lot of car dealerships still don't know how to use the Internet to make a sale. Most of them use their Web portals as a method to gather sales leads, not make sales. I did discover that if a communication was from someone in a dealership whose title included "Internet Sales", then that person was actually interested in selling you a car over the Internet. OTOH, if the communication is from someone in the dealerships Sales department, they are just looking for a lead in the hope of selling you a car 'the old fashioned way'.

Just as an FYI, I did buy my 2015 Honda Pilot via the internet and all 3 dealers I requested quotes from (out the door like you) responded quickly...

None had the color that we wanted and I said I would wait... after a month, we got an email from one of them that was already low say they would take another $500 off if we bought one they had... so, we changed the color we wanted and bought it... now, we like the color we bought more than the other color!!

I will admit that the Toyota dealers here are more like what you described... wanting to 'set up a time' to do the hard sell....

Recently got a "computer on wheels". Lots to learn. The worst we've done so far is trying to adjust the rearview mirror and accidentally calling 911. Just a heads up. New cars are fun. Enjoy yours.

My Prius (2010) definitely feeds my inner geek. Enjoy watching the HSI and trying to get the gas mileage higher! PriusChat.com if you haven't found it is the source for all things Prius.
Enjoy!

I would not want my desktop PCs to have wheels and go 75 mph on the road, even if they weigh only perhaps 30 lbs each.

They occasionally hiccup and stutter on boot up, sometimes freeze, and egad, crash.

I have a 2012 Prius, it's been a great car so far, and I expect to drive it for at least 100k miles. My wife's 2007 Camry Hybrid just passed the 105K mile mark.

We are hot on the trail of either a Nissan Altima or Sentra. Trying to get dealers to do business my way, (respond to a written RFP in a meaningful way) is like herding cats.

We then tried Truecar and when we got results that gave us specific cars with VIN numbers and bottom line pricing, I emailed the dealer and asked "So you have car 1Axxxxxx123 in stock for $15,000 including dealer fess and I only need to add tax tag and title, right. They confirmed, in writing. When I got to the dealer, they said that specific car (and all of them) get a speeecial clearcoat protector, nitrogen in the tires and pixie dust and that adds $717. So their written offer, and confirming emails were lies.

So they are still up to their usual bs. Haven't bought a new car in 19 years, and may go for 20...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom