Bragging about work stuff - SS Disability-good result!

Fireup2020

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Since I am in a new office - and my supervisor is not veteran friendly, I feel the need to brag to those who might appreciate a good story once in a while.

About a year and a half ago, one of my veteran customers (Vietnam vet) came in. We went over his work history, and I (being the green vet counselor) recommended he get his derrier straight over to the VA for PTSD screening. To make a LONG story short - dx of PTSD, severe cognitive impairment due to head trauma (and a few other things) No wonder this guy could not keep a job. After visits with VA counselors, neurologists, psychiatrists, we had tons of documentation. He is still fighting with the VA for a disability rating from them.

I got the green light to do his Social Security Disability application (waaay outside of my job description) I worked on this LENGTHY process with him - job history, tax forms, medical records - all back 20 years or so - with the assistance from his VA counselor - releasing all his med records to me - so that I could submit them with his SSDI app.

The final application was delivered to SS late December or early January 2007. Amazingly, his claim was APPROVED!!!!! First time around! (a miracle in its own sense) He will be recieving about $1100/mo. (better than than the bits he was getting from this job and that job as a welder - keep in mind - he has some extreme medical issues that are not visible)

There is nothing better than to go out on a limb for a "cause" you believe in - only to have it all work out :D

Yes, I do wish I had daily stories like this, but I really put my heart into this case I managed - and WOOOOHOOOO!! Sometimes the systems really do work as they were designed.

Thanks for your time in reading this.

This is great--what a difference you made in this guys life! It is especially impressive to get success the first time around. I currently am helping a young woman apply for SSI based on PTSD. The process has been difficult.

Kudos to the both of you for going above and beyond.

He for his country and you for this soldier. :)

Thank you - it was really a powerful (emotionally) accomplishment. I have said before on this board - you never know how your actions and words will affect someone - so make sure you can live with the results

Good job Fireup! Wish you many more success stories, too.

Great job.....makes me think of that old story about the man who was walking on the beach, and every time he saw a starfish, he would lean over, pick it up and throw it back in the ocean. Someone saw him and said, What a waste of time. There are milliions of starfish, and you could spend your life throwing them back into the ocean without making a dent." And the man said, "well, it's making a heck of a difference to THIS starfish."

Not to compare this person with a starfish, but you understand that you can't help everyone, but the ones that appear in front of you, you do your best for. That's the most that anyone can do.

What a great feeling it must be to know that you were instrumental in accomplishing this for this person. Every month you can think of him getting his check because of you.

LooseChickens

Great work FireUp2025, I know what the SS Disability paperwork nightmare is like. We have been working on it for DW for several months and the hurdles just seem to be getting higher with each round we go through. Getting through on the first round is a huge accomplishment. We are hoping for the same result but there is no way to really tell until you get the letter.

My hat is off to you and Martha for going the extra mile(s) to get these folks their rightful benefits.

Good going. Keep stories of these victories coming!

Ha

Back
Top Bottom