Bread Machines

I've been baking bread for > 30 years. I've had and used bread machines. I mostly now do no knead bread, or use my food processor to do the mixing and do the rising/proofing traditionally. The one advantage to the machine was walking into the house with bread ready. I work at home now, so don't need that. I can also keep the bread in the frig until it is ready to bake, so I can have it done in under an hour. I also have a recipe for Cuban bread from the Tightwad Gazette that has bread on the table in about an hour to an hour and a half. Not something I'd do on a work night, but easily do able on a weekend.

Yes, but I think you are speaking of the pans for mixing, rising, etc. Is it also a better outcome to see loaves shaped more traditionally and, perhaps, conveniently?

I was definitely going for the European type bread shapes, and that’s what I got.

I often baked on a a baking stone, and slashed the loaves after the final rise and brushed with water right before baking water to develop the crust.

I did not care for the shape when baked in the machine.

I didn’t use bread pans except for the special pan needed for a baguette. Even then you could probably get away without it - the bottom would just be a little flat.

Last edited:
HadEnuff, this is intriguing. Please do lay it out if you have time, either here or by PM; I recall the NY Times had a famous recipe for no-knead bread.

I really like the idea of learning more about baking and different kinds of wrappings and crusts.

Did you know the Anglo-Saxon root of the word "lady" is derived from "loaf-baker"?

here's a link. It is a Youtube link of a 14 minute lecture by Peter Reinhart. He has a bunch of books, the one I have and like is called "Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Everyday", available on Amazon. I saw they have a used one for like $7.00 or so. I have made baguettes and his pizza dough recipe is my "go to" pizza dough recipe.

He has a loaf of whole grain bread, but don't let that deter you from listening, because what he is talking about applies to all baking. It's pretty cool. If it sparks an interest, get the book, and get started. Have fun.

If you still want me to PM you my technique, I can, but the book is a better source for a more thorough understanding of what is going on...

anyway, the link,

We have a bread machine, and it puts out good bread. We just forget to use it--like so many other kitchen appliances. We do have the biggest Kitchenaid mixer, and it will do bread with its hook--and we use it all the time.

Fedup said:
Wheat in Europe maybe different from wheat in USA. One of my kids friend is gluten sensitive in USA but not in Europe.

I hear that over and over again from friends who visit Europe.

FWIW, one can use einkorn wheat which is supposedly a variety that remains un hybridized, and has a somewhat different gluten structure. I have no idea if it makes a difference to gluten sensitive people.

My main bread machine use is pizza dough.

About 15 minutes from baking a loaf started this morning. Bought several bread machines at yard sales - they are a yard sale staple. They worked, but put out an ugly loaf. I've been going with 3.5 cups unbleached flour, 1.3 cups warm water, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tbsp yeast per loaf. combine ingredients at various times, knead a bit, use a dusted banneton to shape, plop in covered cast iron chicken pan, slash, and bake. Not into the bread machines.

Attachments

• 318.jpg
    318.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 28
About 15 minutes from baking a loaf started this morning. Bought several bread machines at yard sales - they are a yard sale staple. They worked, but put out an ugly loaf. I've been going with 3.5 cups unbleached flour, 1.3 cups warm water, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tbsp yeast per loaf. combine ingredients at various times, knead a bit, use a dusted banneton to shape, plop in covered cast iron chicken pan, slash, and bake. Not into the bread machines.

that's a beautiful loaf. Have you considered weighing ingredients rather than going by volume? I was getting such inconsistent results by volume, that I bought a scale. They aren't expensive. Interestingly, if you get any recipes from European sources, they always go by weight.

Bought one new back in the 90's. It was fun. Recently saw them available at the local thrift store for probably pennies on the dollar.

If you are frugal, maybe start with one of these (thrift store version) to see if it satisfies you.

If not frugal, then go for the one you want.

-gauss

I've been trying to reason myself out of a bread machine for a week! It's not working, I really want one. What are your experiences with bread machines? And is the Zojirushi really that superior? Their mini-maker for 1 lb loaves is (somewhat) on sale right now.

I have the mini Zoijirushi. In fact, I just used it today. I love it. I've had it for at least 10 or 12 years and use it regularly for making bread and pizza dough. I have no experience with other brands, but I wholeheartedly recommend this one. The soft bread recipes are particularly good.

I do make homemade loaves from time to time, but this makes it so easy to just dump in the ingredients and not have to knead or make a mess on the countertop.

If you want one, go check out the thrift stores. I bought mine for $5 at GW and had like 20 to choose from many in original box, all the paperwork and looked like they may? have been used once. I had a mishap and mine broke, I won't be replacing it. I think I make better bread without it, it just never got that light fluffiness I got from making it by hand.

that's a beautiful loaf. Have you considered weighing ingredients rather than going by volume? I was getting such inconsistent results by volume, that I bought a scale. They aren't expensive. Interestingly, if you get any recipes from European sources, they always go by weight.
Going by weight is far more professional and superior for sure - I just haven't done so.

If you want one, go check out the thrift stores. I bought mine for $5 at GW and had like 20 to choose from many in original box, all the paperwork and looked like they may? have been used once. I had a mishap and mine broke, I won't be replacing it. I think I make better bread without it, it just never got that light fluffiness I got from making it by hand.

We got one as a Christmas gift about 25 years ago. Used it a few times and then stopped. We finally took it to the Goodwill a few months ago. I would look there first. Try it out and see if it is something you might like.

I have the mini Zoijirushi. In fact, I just used it today. I love it. I've had it for at least 10 or 12 years and use it regularly for making bread and pizza dough. I have no experience with other brands, but I wholeheartedly recommend this one. The soft bread recipes are particularly good.

I do make homemade loaves from time to time, but this makes it so easy to just dump in the ingredients and not have to knead or make a mess on the countertop.

Hausfrau, I did end up recently going with the mini Zojirushi, and I love it too! I have just turned out my fourth loaf. Every one has been excellent! I actually am very surprised at just how much I like it. I had also bought an Instant Pot last year, and I have mixed feelings about it, although I am slowly figuring out how best it works for me. No mixed feelings about my Zojirushi! It was worth the money.

Had one. Gave it away when wife died. Married again. Inherited another one. Just gave it away. End of story

Slightly off topic, this reminds me of a Xmas bread I made for my Czech DIL. I got the recipe from her, had to translate it to English from Czech, then from metric to ounces, then ounces to volume.
It was supposed to be a braided bread, but it came out of the oven looking like a large milk bone:confused:

The biggest downside is putting on too many calories. You don't want to let it go stale, next thing you know you put on a pound.

Same for my wife and I. We made great bread and we ate it.....and our waists started bulging so we chose to stop making bread unless it was a special occasion like Christmas.

I stopped baking bread more than a decade ago as we mostly stopped eating bread except for Mestemacher or sprouted grains and then I stopped eating wheat several years ago.

I got the recipe from her, had to translate it to English from Czech, then from metric to ounces, then ounces to volume.

You'll get far more accurate results by measuring in weight instead of volume. Europeans know this. And most kitchen scales I've used let you switch between metric and US measurement.

You'll get far more accurate results by measuring in weight instead of volume. Europeans know this. And most kitchen scales I've used let you switch between metric and US measurement.

Yes, definitely go by weight on European recipes and modern electronic scales handle grams as well as ounces.

+1

I bought a food scale to weigh food when we were losing weight. I had no idea how inaccurate volume was. The food scale is the number one used appliance in the kitchen.

I made pizza dough yesterday and volume measures would have been way light..

Hausfrau, I did end up recently going with the mini Zojirushi, and I love it too! I have just turned out my fourth loaf. Every one has been excellent! I actually am very surprised at just how much I like it. I had also bought an Instant Pot last year, and I have mixed feelings about it, although I am slowly figuring out how best it works for me. No mixed feelings about my Zojirushi! It was worth the money.

Glad you like it! I was thinking about getting an Instant Pot, but I am on the fence.

Glad you like it! I was thinking about getting an Instant Pot, but I am on the fence.

Hausfrau, an Instant Pot can be used in different ways. I don't find that it saves much, if any time, for most items, because of the time it takes to come up and go down from pressure. Nor do I find it to be useful for casseroles. Where I do find it useful is for single items - a whole cauliflower, rice, a winter squash, dried beans - that will later be incorporated into another dish. It also saves stovetop cleanup, which is a kitchen task I loathe.

But other people use it differently. Many, many people use it as a "fast cooker," that is, tossing in a bunch of ingredients, and then just cooking away. Same as a slow cooker, but faster (but you can throw the ingredients in a slow cooker, walk away all day, and return to a ready-to-eat meal, so that time difference is negated, and then the slow cooker incorporates flavors better and also adds those wonderful smells!)

And then there are the other buttons ...

I have made no knead bread from time to time and it is very good. The long rising time is often called the 'bakers secret' as it lets the good flavors develop and hinders the development of the bad tastes.

OTOH, a good bread machine is great for making pizza dough at the last minute. And waking up on Sunday morning to the smell of fresh bread is very nice.

I don't eat a lot of bread these days since high bread consumption does not fit into my slower-carb way of eating. So occasional pizza dough is the main output from my Oster bread machine.

Back
Top Bottom