Join Early Retirement Today

Britishisms
Old 10-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Britishisms

According to this article, a number of British English words and expressions are entering US usage. (A lot of Brits think the traffic is all the other way.)

How many of these do you recognise/know/use? Any others?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #2

I never realized they were British. I recognize about 20 as being common since my youth. But, I live in Canada, so YMMV.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I must be watching too much BBC America because I am familiar with most of them.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
Administrator

All but three of the thirty are terms that I have been familiar with for ages. And, I don't watch BBC.

Some of these terms have never been exclusively British. For example, I was taught "Autumn" and "Fall" as synonyms in elementary school back in the 1950's. I preferred "Autumn" since it had no secondary meaning.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I remember being small and hearing my older sister use "Bloody" at home because she'd heard some British rock group using it, and our Irish mother chastising her for using such shocking language. I took it to heart, and still shudder when I hear someone say something is "bloody" this or that.

Amethyst
Old 10-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #6

I can't say that I have particularly noticed any of those terms being used by Texans where we live.

On this site last year I mentioned my understanding of the word muppet, and not many folks here had the same interpretation. Interesting to see that it is now listed as a Britishism being used by Americans.

My DH has prostate cancer

Muppet, n. A stupid person; from the name for the puppets used in the TV programme The Muppet Show. "I am a Brit living in Idaho. One of the biggest Britishisms I see, and have helped perpetuate, is the term 'muppets' to refer to brainless individuals. I love this term as it conjures images of the loveable Muppets but in reference to a person it definitely conveys a lack of intelligence or substandard education. In this state there are plenty of 'muppets'." George Hemmings, Idaho, US
Old 10-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Can any British people help on a word meaning? "Lights." I have a Maltese recipe for rabbit that mentions sauteing the rabbit along with its liver and "lights." Kidneys?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Can any British people help on a word meaning? "Lights." I have a Maltese recipe for rabbit that mentions sauteing the rabbit along with its liver and "lights." Kidneys?
Sorry Brewer, I've not heard of that one.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #9

Sounds like it might be the lungs and liver.

http://unclestinky.wordpress.com/200...g-lights-stew/

HOG LIGHTS STEW
(“lights” are the lungs and the liver of a pig, cooked together)
  • 1 set of hog lights
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 toes garlic, chopped
  • Salt and black pepper to taste
  • Flour
Chop your lights up into bite-size pieces. Fry down in a heavy pot with the onion and garlic till it is brown. Add water to cover, salt and pepper, and stew till tender. If it’s not thick enough for you, use a little flour to make it thicker. Spoon that over rice and some Scratch Backs* on the side, and you’re fixed.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

ewwww...

I will not be doing that. I generally like British food (I am even a devoted fan of marmite), but I draw the line at offal.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #11

It looks like "lights" means lungs.

Offal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In some parts of Europe, scrotum, brain, chitterlings (pig's small intestine), trotters (feet), heart, head (of pigs, calves, sheep and lamb), kidney, liver, spleen, "lights" (lung), sweetbreads (thymus or pancreas), fries (testicles), tongue, snout (nose), tripe (reticulum) and maws (stomach) from various mammals are common menu items.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
ewwww...

I will not be doing that. I generally like British food (I am even a devoted fan of marmite), but I draw the line at offal.
We ate offal growing up but never lungs or brains.

You are safe with marmite as it is made from brewer's yeast, or the waste product from brewing, IIRC
Old 10-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
On this site last year I mentioned my understanding of the word muppet, and not many folks here had the same interpretation. Interesting to see that it is now listed as a Britishism being used by Americans.
I have never heard an American use the word muppet in that way either.

I've been watching quite a few period dramas recently, mostly set in England in the late 1800's/early 1900's and think it would be perfectly ripping if we still used words like "bounder" and "beastly".
Old 10-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Just a difference in outlook. I've always thought it was offal good.

My favorite offal is heart (beef or chicken), but chicken gizzards is also a favorite snack around my house. Liver and onions or bacon has also always been a treat. Kidneys are very good as well. Does tongue count? That's a delicacy in my book.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I've been watching quite a few period dramas recently, mostly set in England in the late 1800's/early 1900's and think it would be perfectly ripping if we still used words like "bounder" and "beastly".
I also like "getting my dander up", as in the first minute of this clip from Fawlty Towers

Old 10-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
My favorite offal is heart (beef or chicken), but chicken gizzards is also a favorite snack around my house.
Gizzards (gésiers) are a delicacy in France. You'll often find a salade de gésiers on the menu in the South-West, with small pieces of rich, dark-red meatiness. Until you find out what they are, they taste delicious!
Old 10-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
You never think of the dregs of match.com and the like as bounders or cads? I sure do when I hear tales of what they do sometimes.

And the word "beastly " comes to mind when trying to describe New Orleans' weather in August.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I also like "getting my dander up", as in the first minute of this clip from Fawlty Towers
"Would you care for a rat?"
Old 10-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
You never think of the dregs of match.com and the like as bounders or cads? I sure do when I hear tales of what they do sometimes.

And the word "beastly " comes to mind when trying to describe New Orleans' weather in August.
Your beastly summer weather would make me wilt W2R, but it doesn't stop me from wanting to visit sometime.

Caddish behavior is alive and well, sad to say. We just have slightly more graphic terms to describe the perpetrators of such rotten deeds these days.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Back in the day attending USMC radio school, we were taught to never use the word "repeat" while talking on the radio. We were taught to say "say again your last."

We were taught that to the British (including Australians, Canadians, or anyone else in the English-speaking British Empire military, "repeat" meant to repeat an artillery barrage.