Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-13-2017, 08:10 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just curious.... are you not supposed to have some kind of safety strap to prevent this kind of fall

I remember the guy who used to change out the light in the lobby of our building (3 stories high) and he had a safety strap....

Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2017, 08:12 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Wow! YOU ARE FINE then for weight. No problem there. You just took away the biggest risk for your joint replacement.

Sorry to hear you have to deal with this.
My weight is a plus for postponing future hip replacement but a negative for lack strength now for rehab. Speaking of, I have to go to PT now then OT 90 minutes from now.

aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ouch. wishing you a speedy recovery.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:16 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Just saw pacergal's signature: "Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime."

Nowadays, it's "Teach me to fish, and I will have to borrow money to buy a boat and all kinds of fishing gear".
Old 04-13-2017, 08:23 PM   #45

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:14 AM   #46

My physical therapist pushed me too hard too soon and as a result the screws being used to keep my bone in place moved more than they should have. This means several extra weeks of rehab and possibly worse long term results. If I am unable to go back to standing 8+ hours a day then I will not be able to return to my current job. If I don't return to current job then I may not be able to make $12K+ in MAGI. Right now i'm paying $82/mo for HI thru the ACA for a policy that would cost around $382/mo. If I fall below the eligibility income for ACA do I then have to pay the full premium for the whole year? That would mean paying $3600 at tax time because my income is too small. That can't be right can it? There is no way I could pay that. How could anyone in that position? What would be my best option? Should I cancel my ACA policy and go on Medicaid and then make sure I stay under the $12K MAGI for the year? I will have $1600/mo in Worker's Comp income to cover my expenses for the next several months but that income is not taxable which causes some problems. Suggestions?
Old 04-30-2017, 09:52 AM   #47

Well, it partly depends on which state you are in and whether or not you qualify for Medicaid at all. Some states (like mine) have requirements in addition to the low income.

More importantly, the current law limits repayment for people under 200% FPL and single to only $300: https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-...ium-tax-credit

Finally, there is are some Medicaid-related exceptions to the ACA coverage requirement which might exempt you from penalties for going uninsured - if you're willing to go that route, which right now you probably aren't - https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-...ion-exemptions
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:01 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Well, it partly depends on which state you are in and whether or not you qualify for Medicaid at all. Some states (like mine) have requirements in addition to the low income.

More importantly, the current law limits repayment for people under 200% FPL and single to only $300: https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-...ium-tax-credit

Finally, there is are some Medicaid-related exceptions to the ACA coverage requirement which might exempt you from penalties for going uninsured - if you're willing to go that route, which right now you probably aren't - https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-...ion-exemptions
If I can keep my ACA plan all year, have an MAGI income under the poverty level and still only have to pay back $300 max, I can live with that.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:36 AM   #49

Update from OP:
After 7 weeks in rehab, I have finally moved back home. I am still unable to walk without crutches/walker but making progress. I still have a lot of pain especially while in bed at night. The screws moved early in rehab and as a result I will have pain every time I move my leg until they take the screws out. They can't do that until the bone fully heals in another couple months. Then I will need a new surgery so it'll be several months before i'm back to anything close to normal. Despite that, the doctor says I can go back to work on June 6th for 6 hours a day if my employer can find a job where I sit 100% of the time. If not, then I stay home and continue to get $400/wk in Workers Comp.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:38 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the update, aaron. What a horrible ordeal, but it sounds like things are moving in the right direction at least.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:13 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I fell off of a stand-up forklift at my new job. About 4 feet onto cement. I guess I should feel lucky I landed on my arm and hip instead of my head. My head never touched the ground.
Just seeing this thread. Sorry for all you're going thru.

Question: How were you 4' off the floor on a fork lift? On the forks? On something the forks were holding? From what you've said, seems like someone was violating common safety practices.
gerntz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:28 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Just seeing this thread. Sorry for all you're going thru.

Question: How were you 4' off the floor on a fork lift? On the forks? On something the forks were holding? From what you've said, seems like someone was violating common safety practices.
I wasn't standing on the forks, I was on the platform on a forklift like this.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:33 AM   #53

Quote:
I wasn't standing on the forks, I was on the platform on a forklift like this.
Thanks. Seems to lack fall safety protection in the design. You proved how dangerous 4' of height is.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:54 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Thanks. Seems to lack fall safety protection in the design. You proved how dangerous 4' of height is.
That was what I was thinking. I've never had anything to do with designing things like that forklift but I was thinking it should have at least a couple of safety straps and preferably a cage for the operator to keep him from falling.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:27 PM   #55
Administrator

Quote:
Update from OP:
After 7 weeks in rehab, I have finally moved back home. I am still unable to walk without crutches/walker but making progress. I still have a lot of pain especially while in bed at night. The screws moved early in rehab and as a result I will have pain every time I move my leg until they take the screws out. They can't do that until the bone fully heals in another couple months. Then I will need a new surgery so it'll be several months before i'm back to anything close to normal. Despite that, the doctor says I can go back to work on June 6th for 6 hours a day if my employer can find a job where I sit 100% of the time. If not, then I stay home and continue to get $400/wk in Workers Comp.
Thanks for the update. Hope your rehab goes well and your work is able to accommodate you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
That was what I was thinking. I've never had anything to do with designing things like that forklift but I was thinking it should have at least a couple of safety straps and preferably a cage for the operator to keep him from falling.
I drove one of those for 4 summers and am surprised there aren't more accidents. There's a cage, but only to protect the operator from stuff falling from above. Other than that, it is designed for productivity, not safety.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 02:40 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

To the OP - here's wishing you a speedy and full recovery.

The title of this thread speaks to me. Back in 1998 I broke my right hip and dislocated my right shoulder. I was 39 at the time. I don't mean to take away from the OP but wanted to chime in to indicate how just a slight fall can turn out to be very serious.

I was on an extension ladder - but only on the second step from the ground. I must have had the ladder at the wrong angle. Somehow it slid backwards and I rolled/fell off on my right side. For many years I could still see my fingerprint trail on the gutters of the house where I attempted to grab the gutter to arrest my fall.

After surgery I used a wheelchair for approximately 6 weeks and performed physical (leg) and occupational (arm) therapy during that time. For all practical purposes I recovered but in reality I'm probably at 90% of my full potential. My shoulder will sometimes wake me at night and sometimes my hip bothers me. Both seem to be more problematic with age.

So to the OP and others... yes, a slight fall can be very serious and depending on age and health factors can be even more serious for you that somebody half your age. Fortunately the OP seems to be in good spirits.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:38 PM   #57

Aaron - continued wishes for complete recovery.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:36 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

I drove one of those for 4 summers and am surprised there aren't more accidents. There's a cage, but only to protect the operator from stuff falling from above. Other than that, it is designed for productivity, not safety.
Regardless of what anything is designed for, it does not relieve that design from meeting OSHA protections. Seems to me Aaron should be talking with a competent lawyer.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:39 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
To the OP - here's wishing you a speedy and full recovery.

The title of this thread speaks to me. Back in 1998 I broke my right hip and dislocated my right shoulder. I was 39 at the time. I don't mean to take away from the OP but wanted to chime in to indicate how just a slight fall can turn out to be very serious.

I was on an extension ladder - but only on the second step from the ground. I must have had the ladder at the wrong angle. Somehow it slid backwards and I rolled/fell off on my right side. For many years I could still see my fingerprint trail on the gutters of the house where I attempted to grab the gutter to arrest my fall.

After surgery I used a wheelchair for approximately 6 weeks and performed physical (leg) and occupational (arm) therapy during that time. For all practical purposes I recovered but in reality I'm probably at 90% of my full potential. My shoulder will sometimes wake me at night and sometimes my hip bothers me. Both seem to be more problematic with age.

So to the OP and others... yes, a slight fall can be very serious and depending on age and health factors can be even more serious for you that somebody half your age. Fortunately the OP seems to be in good spirits.
You say you were in a wheel chair for 6 weeks? I assume you then went to crutches/walker? How long before you were able to walk without assistance? Tomorrow will be 8 weeks since the accident and I still can't walk though I am making noticeable progress.

This was an on the job injury so there will be some compensation. After one full year I will be considered as recovered as I will get. At that time the surgeon will assign me a disability rating. If i'm 10% disabled then I get approx. $18K, 5% $9K. There could be other compensation as well mainly based on whether or not i'm able to go back to doing the same job for the same money or not.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:19 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
You say you were in a wheel chair for 6 weeks? I assume you then went to crutches/walker? How long before you were able to walk without assistance?...
I suppose each situation is different. In my case the surgeon didn't want me to walk for many weeks to allow the bone to heal. So for those 6 weeks at home (not including 2 weeks in the hospital and rehab) I used a wheelchair. Several weeks into the 6 weeks at home the therapist had me walking down the hall but only for limited periods. At the end of wheelchair time I went directly to walking with a cane. Including the hospital stay, rehab in the hospital, rehab at home I was out of work for 13 weeks. Thanks goodness I had short-term disability pay. It may have been as long as 6 months before I walked entirely without the cane.

Of the two injuries - broken hip and dislocated shoulder - the shoulder caused me the most problems then and still today.

It was very odd for me to go through this process. Early on, much of my recovery was a mental hurdle that I had to overcome. I had a very strong aversion to anything that could hurt me. I didn't even want to open the knife drawer in our kitchen because those were items that could cause injury. I had a strong fear of getting in the car to attend doctor appointments because vehicle crashes can be so injurious. Only after several years did I feel comfortable getting on a step stool or anything that resembled a ladder.

Best wishes with your recovery.