Broken hip and arm

Good luck Aaron. Regarding the anterior replacement, I have had one and overall it's da bomb. You will recover quickly, and there can't be any more actual joint pain because your painful joint is gone. The surrounding muscles can be sore. I guess your recovery may be longer than in the typical one because of your history, but in my case and other guys I have known who got this surgery, by a month or so you can hardly remember which hip was operated.

Ha

Maybe it's different for me for some reason. My surgeon said the first month will be very difficult then i'll get better quickly. By month three I should be back to all normal activities although it could take 6 months or more before i'm fully recovered.

You need to concentrate on getting better now and the rest will come...gives you time to look at different work opportunities and any training you might want to ask for. I'm sorry you have to go thru another month of pain before your new hip...

I have an interview for an office-based job at my current employer. I would have to leave the union and the job security that goes with it but I would have a much less physcially demanding job. I would still have to be out in the warehouse for around half the shift but wouldn't be lifting anything heavier than a clipboard. The rest of the time would be in the distribution office. It's a pay cut but still a living wage so I think it would be a better fit for me going forward.

Last edited:
...I will want to make I sure I know my options for making sure WC pays for my next hip replacement too and all the recovery costs associated with it since this one will only last 20-30 years or so and i'm only 38.

I'm not sure where you got the info about longevity of hip replacements, but DSIL had one more than 30 years ago and is doing fine with it - hikes in the mountains, etc. She was in her 20s when she got it (congenital issue). And I would think the current technologies are much better.

That said, you certainly want to make sure it would be covered if needed.

Good luck Aaron. Regarding the anterior replacement, I have had one and overall it's da bomb. You will recover quickly, and there can't be any more actual joint pain because your painful joint is gone. The surrounding muscles can be sore. I guess your recovery may be longer than in the typical one because of your history, but in my case and other guys I have known who got this surgery, by a month or so you can hardly remember which hip was operated.

Ha

Would you care to share the details of your recovery? Did you do PT exercises right from the start or did you just rest and ice with a little walking for the first couple weeks? It sounds like the staff in charge of my recovery plan an aggressive PT program right from the start. Based on things I have read online, it seems this could do more harm than good in the first few weeks. Thoughts?

I think that's the current model. Two people I know (both in their 70s) were up and walking the same day of the surgery. My neighbor across the street was playing golf after a month and tennis in the second month.

You might look at this relatively recent thread too:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/hip-replacement-surgery-83968.html

I expect and understand the need to get up a little the day of surgery but don't understand the need to do exercises that cause significant pain in the first weeks. The PT rep at the class I went to said they would push us until it hurt then push a little further. That sound reckless to me.

It sounds like the staff in charge of my recovery plan an aggressive PT program right from the start. Based on things I have read online, it seems this could do more harm than good in the first few weeks. Thoughts?
I am no expert, but my program was pedal to the metal from day surgery +1. I was done by 8:30 am day of surgery, and up by 2 pm. The following day I went twice daily for various active exercises, and I also walked a lot. I went home on day surgery +2, and did some of the exercises, but a lot of walking. After discharge I stayed down with GF, because she has an elevator building and also the sidewalks in her neighborhood are level and in good repair, whereas my neighborhood is quite hilly and my apt is a walkup. My pt told me that activity is good, but not falling down! I never used a walker, but used my crutches for 3-4 days then switched to cane for maybe 4-5 longer, but I really cannot remember

Ha

Last edited:
Ha and I had the same procedure, except I had mine 8 years ago. Same result (from memory); home from hospital 2nd day after climbing two flights of stairs unassisted in the hospital, walking around the neighborhood with a walker for a couple of days, stitches out at day 10 and driving/walking normally after that. My PT was my walking.

I remember DW having to give me daily injections for blood clot minimization for a week or so. I don't know if that's done these days. Other than that, nothing sticks out as being tough to handle, and that wasn't so bad.

I had my THR earlier today. They say everthing went as planned. Pain is virtually zero but the nerve block will wear off soon so that will change. I tried to take a few steps with a two person assist but my leg gave out every time so they said they would try again later tonight when my leg isn't so numb from the nerve block.

Hang in there and good luck Aaron. You have been through the wringer

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Best wishes for your recovery. Keep us updated on your progress.

I had my THR earlier today. They say everthing went as planned. Pain is virtually zero but the nerve block will wear off soon so that will change. I tried to take a few steps with a two person assist but my leg gave out every time so they said they would try again later tonight when my leg isn't so numb from the nerve block.

Wonderful! I'm glad and I hope you have a terrific result from your total hip replacement surgery.

Great, Aaron, let us know when you take your "first step" for real. Really hoping for a break for you; you deserve it as much as anyone I know of.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

way to go Aaron. You'll soon be feeling much better.

Ha

So much pain. My pain is a 6-7 even with Oxycodone, Celebrex, Gabapentin, Tylenol, and asprin all in my system at the same time. This is going to be a long night.

Aaron,

Having had three total shoulder replacements in the past (two were revisions) I was told to not be a 'John Wayne' and accept the pain. Instead they instructed me to take the meds when I was hurting. After the second replacement I happily followed their advice.

At first I always took a pain med before PT. It helped a lot.

Good luck.

Aaron,

Having had three total shoulder replacements in the past (two were revisions) I was told to not be a 'John Wayne' and accept the pain. Instead they instructed me to take the meds when I was hurting. After the second replacement I happily followed their advice.

At first I always took a pain med before PT. It helped a lot.

Good luck.

the nurses told Mrs scrapr after a C section. Don't chase the pain

So much pain. My pain is a 6-7 even with Oxycodone, Celebrex, Gabapentin, Tylenol, and asprin all in my system at the same time. This is going to be a long night.

I feel so sorry for you. I had that unbelievable pain when I had my first rotator cuff surgery. It will get better. This time next week you will feel so much better.

Back
Top Bottom