Broken hip and arm

Sorry to hear about it, Aaron. My grandfather was an aviation mechanic and had a similar fall from a ladder, also breaking his hip. He was around 60, and had no obvious long-term issues after getting through PT. I hope your recovery goes as smoothly.

Will your salary be covered while you're recuperating?

my Dr says I will very likely need hip replacement in my 50's

Sympathy for your accident; hope you heal quickly.

As for the quoted part, don't be too quick to take someone else's opinion on that. Even though hip replacements are routine these days, it's a decision that needs to be made primarily by you -- you'll know when you're ready. The doc will confirm it, but it would certainly be a mistake to have it done before you really need it.

Just a side point: The doc told me I was "on track for a hip replacement, sooner rather than later" nearly two years ago. That was based on both X-rays and an MRI. I was in considerable pain then, but with plenty of rest and easing up on my daily activities I've been able to almost completely get rid of the pain and I feel sure that I'm not as close to replacement now as I was then.

That sounds awful, hope you recover quickly.

Aaron, I didn't realize you were doing such dangerous work. Falling on concrete - geez - what wouldn't break? I hope you heal very fast. Some people heal from breaks faster than others. At least you have relative youth on your side. I know you'll work hard at physical therapy.

As for needing a hip replacement 15 years down the line, I would ask the Dr. what it is about your break or your Xray that makes them think that. Maybe it is just the Dr.'s experience with that type of break, which doesn't always mean it will be true for YOU.

Heal soon,

Amethyst

Sorry. I know over two dozen people who have had hip replacements, from age 55 to age 75 when they had it done. All but one were very happy with the procedure. The one needed a re-do due to defective components. But even she is happy now with the re-do. Hip replacements tend to be easier in rehab than knees and last longer too. So, I would not worry about that now. Stretching and yoga plus Pilates for strengthening muscles will help a lot going forward regardless of whatever happens in the future with your hip.

I just want to add my regret that you fell, especially while on a new job. That had to be very painful, awkward, painful, surprising, and painful.....in many ways. Plus....getting to ambulate again with only one arm has got to be challenging.

I'm hoping that health insurance is not a worry, and that coverage is there either from your own options or from the new job. No one needs that added concern.

Within a short time this will just be a memory. Something to look back on and wish never happened. The human body does an amazing job of healing itself.....and you on that path. Just keep moving forward.

I'm hoping that health insurance is not a worry, and that coverage is there either from your own options or from the new job.

It should be entirely covered under Workmen's Compensation.

It should be entirely covered under Workmen's Compensation.

Correct. All medical bills will be covered by WC. WC will also pay 2/3 of my weekly base pay while i'm away from work.

I want to add my good wishes for a complete recovery. Workers' compensation should certainly cover the costs. It is unfortunate that it won't cover your full salary while you are incapacitated. As I recall, this is a relatively new job for you. Why do you think the fall happened? Were the safety protocols deficient?

In my sample size of younger people (<50) who have had hip replacements, the only ones who needed a "redo" at the 15 year mark or so were obese. One friend is now 55 on his second set of knees. He finally "found religion" and lost the weight.

If you are obese or overweight, lose weight. You are young, so you'll put more strain on it than a 60 yr. old who has theirs last 35 years. Remember, they've slowed down.
Unless Aaron put on a lot of weight recently, he was a tall and lanky guy. I recall he said he ate a lot but failed to put on some additional weight.

Sorry to hear about your accident...

I am like others and say do not worry about if you will need one or not... or a second years later... that info will only be known in the future and worrying about it now is not productive....

It will be what it will be... you just have knowledge that it is a possibility and that if you start to have problem you will know what you need to do... if no problems, then no worry...

Unless Aaron put on a lot of weight recently, he was a tall and lanky guy. I recall he said he ate a lot but failed to put on some additional weight.

Yes, I am 6'6" or just under when barefoot and hover right around 180. I have put on about 15 lbs of fat the last couple years and my metabolism is noticeably lower but I am still quite thin.

Yes, I am 6'6" or just under when barefoot and hover right around 180. I have put on about 15 lbs of fat the last couple years and my metabolism is noticeably lower but I am still quite thin.
Wow! YOU ARE FINE then for weight. No problem there. You just took away the biggest risk for your joint replacement.

Sorry to hear you have to deal with this.

Just curious.... are you not supposed to have some kind of safety strap to prevent this kind of fall:confused:

I remember the guy who used to change out the light in the lobby of our building (3 stories high) and he had a safety strap....

Wow! YOU ARE FINE then for weight. No problem there. You just took away the biggest risk for your joint replacement.

Sorry to hear you have to deal with this.

My weight is a plus for postponing future hip replacement but a negative for lack strength now for rehab. Speaking of, I have to go to PT now then OT 90 minutes from now.

Ouch. wishing you a speedy recovery.:flowers:

Just saw pacergal's signature: "Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime."

Nowadays, it's "Teach me to fish, and I will have to borrow money to buy a boat and all kinds of fishing gear".

My physical therapist pushed me too hard too soon and as a result the screws being used to keep my bone in place moved more than they should have. This means several extra weeks of rehab and possibly worse long term results. If I am unable to go back to standing 8+ hours a day then I will not be able to return to my current job. If I don't return to current job then I may not be able to make $12K+ in MAGI. Right now i'm paying $82/mo for HI thru the ACA for a policy that would cost around $382/mo. If I fall below the eligibility income for ACA do I then have to pay the full premium for the whole year? That would mean paying $3600 at tax time because my income is too small. That can't be right can it? There is no way I could pay that. How could anyone in that position? What would be my best option? Should I cancel my ACA policy and go on Medicaid and then make sure I stay under the $12K MAGI for the year? I will have $1600/mo in Worker's Comp income to cover my expenses for the next several months but that income is not taxable which causes some problems. Suggestions?

Last edited:
Well, it partly depends on which state you are in and whether or not you qualify for Medicaid at all. Some states (like mine) have requirements in addition to the low income.

More importantly, the current law limits repayment for people under 200% FPL and single to only $300: https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care...ut-advance-payments-of-the-premium-tax-credit

Finally, there is are some Medicaid-related exceptions to the ACA coverage requirement which might exempt you from penalties for going uninsured - if you're willing to go that route, which right now you probably aren't - https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care...al-shared-responsibility-provision-exemptions

Well, it partly depends on which state you are in and whether or not you qualify for Medicaid at all. Some states (like mine) have requirements in addition to the low income.

More importantly, the current law limits repayment for people under 200% FPL and single to only $300: https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care...ut-advance-payments-of-the-premium-tax-credit

Finally, there is are some Medicaid-related exceptions to the ACA coverage requirement which might exempt you from penalties for going uninsured - if you're willing to go that route, which right now you probably aren't - https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care...al-shared-responsibility-provision-exemptions

If I can keep my ACA plan all year, have an MAGI income under the poverty level and still only have to pay back $300 max, I can live with that.

Update from OP:
After 7 weeks in rehab, I have finally moved back home. I am still unable to walk without crutches/walker but making progress. I still have a lot of pain especially while in bed at night. The screws moved early in rehab and as a result I will have pain every time I move my leg until they take the screws out. They can't do that until the bone fully heals in another couple months. Then I will need a new surgery so it'll be several months before i'm back to anything close to normal. Despite that, the doctor says I can go back to work on June 6th for 6 hours a day if my employer can find a job where I sit 100% of the time. If not, then I stay home and continue to get $400/wk in Workers Comp.

Thanks for the update, aaron. What a horrible ordeal, but it sounds like things are moving in the right direction at least.

Back
Top Bottom