Broken hip and arm

Sounds like quite an ordeal. Hope the next surgery helps to relieve the pain.

Aaron, it's been over a month since your last update...how are things going?

Amethyst

Aaron, it's been over a month since your last update...how are things going?

Amethyst

Slow, very slow. I had my latest surgery on July 27th to remove the screws from the bone because they had come out too far and were causing problems. Now i'm still in a lot of pain since they sent me back to work fulltime(sedentary) and do PT twice a week and PT exercises at home 2X a day 7 days a week. I'm down to one crutch but won't be without crutches completely for several more weeks. I didn't think the pain would still be this bad. The original injury was 4.5 months ago and I still can't walk and have significant pain. I am able to do more now than any other time since before the injury but it's a very slow process.

I am sorry it is taking so long and you are still suffering so much pain. It's admirable that even though you hurt, you are doing your PT exercises so faithfully. Is the arm still hurting, or is it strictly the hip?

Slow, very slow. I had my latest surgery on July 27th to remove the screws from the bone because they had come out too far and were causing problems. Now i'm still in a lot of pain since they sent me back to work fulltime(sedentary) and do PT twice a week and PT exercises at home 2X a day 7 days a week. I'm down to one crutch but won't be without crutches completely for several more weeks. I didn't think the pain would still be this bad. The original injury was 4.5 months ago and I still can't walk and have significant pain. I am able to do more now than any other time since before the injury but it's a very slow process.

I am sorry it is taking so long and you are still suffering so much pain. It's admirable that even though you hurt, you are doing your PT exercises so faithfully. Is the arm still hurting, or is it strictly the hip?

I rarely ever notice any arm pain. A little in the shower or after the shower when trying to clean or dry my back. I haven't tried lifting heavy weight yet as the surgeon has a 15 pound limit for lifting. The arm is nothing compared to the hip.

So sorry to hear this is such a long healing process. If I remember correctly its is a work related injury so I hope all expenses, etc are covered.

So sorry to hear this is such a long healing process. If I remember correctly its is a work related injury so I hope all expenses, etc are covered.

Yes, it is work related. I haven't seen a bill.

aaronc879,

Sorry your reovery is taking so long and is so painful. Hang in there!

Hopefully the worst is behind you and you are feeling better soon.

omni

To OP: I think I missed your original post; I looked and didn't see any comments by me. Anyway, my career was in Work. Comp. claims management. One will get his rightful W/C benefits without need for a lawyer. But your injuries are significant, and more is potentially at stake. If you have not retained a W/C lawyer, you should do so.

I rarely ever notice any arm pain. A little in the shower or after the shower when trying to clean or dry my back. I haven't tried lifting heavy weight yet as the surgeon has a 15 pound limit for lifting. The arm is nothing compared to the hip.

So sad to read that you are still in considerable pain from your injuries. I'm glad your arm is getting better.

Due to arthritis, I also have trouble cleaning or drying my back these days and I got this brush which helps. I don't know, maybe it would help you, too, at least somewhat.

https://www.amazon.com/TopNotch-Bru...TF8&qid=1503160755&sr=1-8&keywords=back+brush

I dry my back by holding one end of the towel in my right hand at shoulder level, letting the rest of it fall down my back and then grabbing the other end down low with my left hand, and then pulling it back and forth across my back. But that would probably be harder for you than for me, I would guess.

Whether these ideas help or not (probably not), I am hoping that your recovery speeds up and that you are feeling pain free soon.

To OP: I think I missed your original post; I looked and didn't see any comments by me. Anyway, my career was in Work. Comp. claims management. One will get his rightful W/C benefits without need for a lawyer. But your injuries are significant, and more is potentially at stake. If you have not retained a W/C lawyer, you should do so.

I have gotten a free consultation but haven't paid anyone yet. She is available when/if I decide she is needed. When I hit the one year mark, I will be assigned a permanent disability %. If that % is under 10 then I will get the lawyer. Perhaps you could answer this question for me: The surgeon said I will need a total hip replacement because of this injury between the age of 45-60. That should be paid for by WC. When I reach the one year mark I should get a settlement based on the % of disability. However, wouldn't that close the case? They still have to pay for my future hip replacement and all the follow up care from that. Does that mean I can't get money from the disability rating because the case needs to stay open for another 10-20 years?

I have gotten a free consultation but haven't paid anyone yet. She is available when/if I decide she is needed. When I hit the one year mark, I will be assigned a permanent disability %. If that % is under 10 then I will get the lawyer. Perhaps you could answer this question for me: The surgeon said I will need a total hip replacement because of this injury between the age of 45-60. That should be paid for by WC. When I reach the one year mark I should get a settlement based on the % of disability. However, wouldn't that close the case? They still have to pay for my future hip replacement and all the follow up care from that. Does that mean I can't get money from the disability rating because the case needs to stay open for another 10-20 years?

I sent you a PM.

I had a follow up with the surgeon yesterday. He officially took my off restriction allowing me to go back to my union physical labor job. I am limited to 40 hours/week max for the first 2 weeks then 50 max for 2 more weeks. After that, I can take any overtime offered without limit. It's been a long and difficult 6 1/2 months of recovery. I have been working light duty in the office for a few months but getting to the point of being able to do physical labor work is very different. They won't be assigning me a disability rating until I reach one year post injury.

I had a follow up with the surgeon yesterday. He officially took my off restriction allowing me to go back to my union physical labor job. I am limited to 40 hours/week max for the first 2 weeks then 50 max for 2 more weeks. After that, I can take any overtime offered without limit. It's been a long and difficult 6 1/2 months of recovery. I have been working light duty in the office for a few months but getting to the point of being able to do physical labor work is very different. They won't be assigning me a disability rating until I reach one year post injury.

So glad to hear that you are finally healing up after that awful injury, Aaron. :) Bet you will be happy to be getting back to your normal life now.

It's too bad the doctor didn't say half days for awhile for some work hardening before throwing you back in f.t. It can be difficult going from zero to 100 when you are older. Good luck!

So glad to hear that you are finally healing up after that awful injury, Aaron. :) Bet you will be happy to be getting back to your normal life now.

I never thought I would be happy to go to a hard manual labor job but I am now. I'm happy to know I can do that kind of job.

It's too bad the doctor didn't say half days for awhile for some work hardening before throwing you back in f.t. It can be difficult going from zero to 100 when you are older. Good luck!

I have been doing work hardening at a rehab unit 4 hours/day then going to work in the office for 4 hours/day. I was there for over 4 weeks and it made a huge difference. When I started I couldn't even walk without pain in every step. Now I am lifting a 59 pound box from pallet level up to torso, carrying it to another pallet and putting it down. Not easy, but doable. I only have to do a 59 pound box about once a weeks at work so I just had to demonstrate that I could do it once a day for the last few days.

Wow. Good for you! :greetings10:

I have been doing work hardening at a rehab unit 4 hours/day then going to work in the office for 4 hours/day. I was there for over 4 weeks and it made a huge difference. When I started I couldn't even walk without pain in every step. Now I am lifting a 59 pound box from pallet level up to torso, carrying it to another pallet and putting it down. Not easy, but doable. I only have to do a 59 pound box about once a weeks at work so I just had to demonstrate that I could do it once a day for the last few days.

That's great because work hardening is the key to success.

Reading between the lines of our PM's, I got the impression you were resistant to retaining an attorney. It's great to see that you improved so well and are able to return to work. I still strongly suggest you retain an attorney to protect your interests.
Please note having an attorney to represent you for workers' compensation ("WC") is NOT the equivalent of suing your employer. WC is a legal benefit you are entitled to; retaining an attorney will protect all of your legal/rightful interests.

Reading between the lines of our PM's, I got the impression you were resistant to retaining an attorney. It's great to see that you improved so well and are able to return to work. I still strongly suggest you retain an attorney to protect your interests.
Please note having an attorney to represent you for workers' compensation ("WC") is NOT the equivalent of suing your employer. WC is a legal benefit you are entitled to; retaining an attorney will protect all of your legal/rightful interests.

I have been in contact with an attorney and exchanged info in case I decide her services are needed. I plan to wait until I get the disability rating before deciding if I want to use her services.

I think he's younger than many of us here. 30's maybe?

I think he's younger than many of us here. 30's maybe?

I'm 38. Maybe not as difficult as 58 but i'm not exactly young anymore. I don't recover like a 20 year old. I'm almost 20 years past my prime.

Hi Aaron. It sounds like it has been a treacherous road, but I am happy to hear that your condition has improved greatly. I hope you make a full recovery soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I'm 38. Maybe not as difficult as 58 but i'm not exactly young anymore. I don't recover like a 20 year old. I'm almost 20 years past my prime.
I agree with other posters, I had a knee replacement about 5 years ago. The doctor told me that these replacements are lasting much longer than they used to. He said he had a patient that was running marathons for the last 15 years with no noticeable degradation in his artificial knee. Best of luck to you in your rehab.

Back
Top Bottom