Broken hip and arm

Hi Aaron. It sounds like it has been a treacherous road, but I am happy to hear that your condition has improved greatly. I hope you make a full recovery soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Thanks for the well wishes. Unfortunately a full recovery was never a possibility. The DR said 95% is the best I could hope for and that was before I needed a second surgery. I'll be fortunate to get back to 90% in a few more months.

So glad you are continuing to recover. What a long journey it has been for you.
Wishing you continued good health and improvement.

Glad to hear you are doing well and healing up.

I wish you well Aaron. I have been lucky, no accidents so far in my life. Keep doing what you are doing, it sounds like you are making good progress.

I wish you well Aaron. I have been lucky, no accidents so far in my life. Keep doing what you are doing, it sounds like you are making good progress.

I should have gotten an office job. Kind of hard to get badly injured working in an office.

Aaron - glad to hear that you are well along the path to recovery. I'm sure it is painful and hard work. But glad to hear you'll be able to go back to your old work. Pay attention to your body and it's signals so you don't accidentally reinjure yourself.

The risk in office work is "repetitive strain" injuries - mostly to the hand, wrist, and neck - which can be pretty bad, but nothing like heavy falls onto concrete!

I should have gotten an office job. Kind of hard to get badly injured working in an office.

Certainly, manual jobs have a higher frequency of serious injuries. But, FWIW, the most severe non-fatal injury I was ever involved with was to an office worker. She was a bank executive injured in a car accident on business. Unfortunately [to be brutally frank] she survived, but with terrible physical and brain injuries.

Had to leave work early a few days ago because of severe pain in my hip. The pain had been getting worse for several weeks but I finally couldn't take it anymore. I went to the doctor and I have an MRI scheduled for Monday April 9th to see if I have avascular necrosis(AVN). If I do, I will likely never return to my union physicl labor job. I will likely need a total hip replacement before long if I have AVN. Other options to slow the progression of the disease would be core decompression or bone graft but I would think those are just going to prolonge the pain until I need a total hip replacement anyway so why not just do that right away if I have AVN. Has anyone had any experience with core decompression and was it helpful?

I still experience discomfort in my right hip, but have been informed that it's more likely to be related to sciatica than the actual hip......probably dissimilar to your situation, but Hey, you never know......(I certainly didn't).

I still experience discomfort in my right hip, but have been informed that it's more likely to be related to sciatica than the actual hip......probably dissimilar to your situation, but Hey, you never know......(I certainly didn't).

I don't think that's the case and it was never brought up by the nurse, nurse practitioner, or doctor but i'll keep it in mind. Thanks.

Keep us posted Aaron. I don't have any experience what you are going through, but wish you all the best.

I'm so sad to hear this. Your suffering just goes on and on. Not sure what core decompression is, so can't advise, but I certainly hope the doctors can come up with some solution for you.

Had to leave work early a few days ago because of severe pain in my hip. The pain had been getting worse for several weeks but I finally couldn't take it anymore. I went to the doctor and I have an MRI scheduled for Monday April 9th to see if I have avascular necrosis(AVN). If I do, I will likely never return to my union physicl labor job. I will likely need a total hip replacement before long if I have AVN. Other options to slow the progression of the disease would be core decompression or bone graft but I would think those are just going to prolonge the pain until I need a total hip replacement anyway so why not just do that right away if I have AVN. Has anyone had any experience with core decompression and was it helpful?

Had to leave work early a few days ago because of severe pain in my hip. The pain had been getting worse for several weeks but I finally couldn't take it anymore. I went to the doctor and I have an MRI scheduled for Monday April 9th to see if I have avascular necrosis(AVN). If I do, I will likely never return to my union physicl labor job. I will likely need a total hip replacement before long if I have AVN.

If you can't return to your physically demanding job due to this injury and your doctor can attest to it you need to hire an attorney that specializes in workers comp if you don't already have one. You will be entitled to workers compensation benefits for as long as you're unable to perform your job.

If you can't return to your physically demanding job due to this injury and your doctor can attest to it you need to hire an attorney that specializes in workers comp if you don't already have one. You will be entitled to workers compensation benefits for as long as you're unable to perform your job.

I don't think that's accurate but i'll look into it.

I don't think that's accurate but i'll look into it.

Yes, definitely look into it. I don't know if the worker's comp laws vary from state-to-state, but in Calif. for sure you would be entitled to worker's comp. In Calif. you don't have to use the union lawyer to represent you and you also don't have to go to your company's doctors if you don't want to. Be careful of worker's comp. attorneys and be careful of the doc he may send you to. You don't want to end up in a worker's comp. mill because then there's a good chance you won't get the medical treatment you need.

Aaron concentrate on getting yourself better and pain free. Probably best not to try and wrap your head around all the R and R of workman's comp.

Find a lawyer, but I agree with the advice of not mixing your lawyer and your doctor. Do any of you posters know how the lawyers get paid? Would any of that money come out of Aaron's pockets?

Aaron concentrate on getting yourself better and pain free. Probably best not to try and wrap your head around all the R and R of workman's comp.

Find a lawyer, but I agree with the advice of not mixing your lawyer and your doctor. Do any of you posters know how the lawyers get paid? Would any of that money come out of Aaron's pockets?

I think a lawyer would get 20% of whatever my settlement is. I wouldn't pay up front and they wouldn't take the case if they didn't think I would get a decent amount of money.

I think a lawyer would get 20% of whatever my settlement is. I wouldn't pay up front and they wouldn't take the case if they didn't think I would get a decent amount of money.
They typically don't take any of your settlement unless you win. In cases I've seen there was an initial settlement and that's all the attorneys can hit.

Its worth checking into.

aaron, I have worked in this area. You are correct that you can not keep collecting WC forever. They will offer you either of these options: take a buy out or retraining. The retraining is anywhere from 9 months to a max of 2 years based on certain criteria. They keep paying you while you retrain. Often the private Voc Rehab counselors just want to put you in a vocational plan so they can collect their $ every month. I have seen people placed in programs that won't lead to jobs, etc. The people that take buyouts run out of $ quick once they pay off past due bills etc and then some of them come to a state agency funded mainly by the feds to help people with disabilities return to work. At this point you have a better chance of getting a counselor that cares and wants to hel you find a appropriate vocational goal.

aaron, I have worked in this area. You are correct that you can not keep collecting WC forever. They will offer you either of these options: take a buy out or retraining. The retraining is anywhere from 9 months to a max of 2 years based on certain criteria. They keep paying you while you retrain. Often the private Voc Rehab counselors just want to put you in a vocational plan so they can collect their $ every month. I have seen people placed in programs that won't lead to jobs, etc. The people that take buyouts run out of $ quick once they pay off past due bills etc and then some of them come to a state agency funded mainly by the feds to help people with disabilities return to work. At this point you have a better chance of getting a counselor that cares and wants to hel you find a appropriate vocational goal.

If I get vocational training in the form of a 2 year associates degree I suppose that means the case stays open and my settlement gets postponed until all that is over. Maybe I should just take the settlement including the buyout for vocational training and then look elsewhere for assistance getting a job in an office setting.

aaron take your time to decide about schooling and settlements. If you want to drill down about the schooling why don't you start another thread about 2 year degrees, vocational office training and jobs.

I'm sure people would be glad to share information with you. For example something like training for medical transcriptions.. a lot of those job are done from home.

Back
Top Bottom