Buyers remorse-what did you buy in retirement that you regret?

ER'd March 2013, April 2013 bought a Lexus ES. I needed to replace my stick shift sports car due to back and sciatica issues. But this car, while nice, rode too much like an old f*rt car. Fortunately, it's just the type of driving that DW likes. 1 year later I gave it to her and got myself an Audi Q5 SUV. I've been a happy camper since then.

Every time I see a Corvette, it seems like the same guy is behind the wheel. I think they must have their market pegged.
As for remorse. I don’t think so. I overthink most purchases so once I pull the trigger, I know it’s right.

Our current house, a new build which we've been living in for three months.

We moved from California to central Texas last October to be near our only child who had been wanting us to move to Texas the prior two years. We immediately started looking for a re-sale on a house, but then we find out the owners of our house rental wouldn't allow us to extend past April 2019 unless we agreed to an additional year (ended up getting an additional month). Because the market for re-sales was thin and we didn't want to take a chance of not finding one by early Spring, we opted for a new build.

Because of that, we found a builder for a housing tract that could get us a house built before the lease expired. Found what we thought was a relatively flat lot in a somewhat hilly area to build. Imagine my surprise once the foundation was poured that we would have numerous steps to get into the house, both at the front porch and in the garage. Ended up being seven steps at the porch and six steps in the garage.

Now, neither my DW (mid 60s) nor myself (early 60s) are physically limited. But I looked at this house as being our retirement house, so 10-15 years from now, maybe sooner, I may be cursing those steps. Of course, the builder of the house gave us no clue what kind of foundation drop we would have on the lot selected. I guess everyone in central Texas is supposed to have a clue.

There are times where I miss being in California.

Last edited:
It seems I seldom have regrets. The reason is i dislike regret so much. I know, no one likes regret but I think I channel my dislike of regret into my decision process.

But being analytical, I sometimes think it might be fun if I allowed myself to do something ill-considered.
But I do not regret not having done so.

We don’t currently own a boat, though we love being on the water. After owning and paying for a string of 5 boats over 29 years, I seriously doubt we’d buy another - it’s a lot of work and unrelenting expense. We sail OPB now. So no regrets.

When boating friends ask me why we don’t get another boat, I tell them the money we spent on boating now goes to senior health care - and it’s largely true, though it looks like sailing/racing was more expensive.

I can't think of anything that I regret buying since retiring. But I can think of things that I regret not buying.

we haven't bought anything that we regret.

Well, maybe that last carton of chocolate mint ice cream....

One can have many regrets in life, but this should not be one of them.

mint-chocolate-cookie-detail.png

My advice: Never move in a hurry. I had severe buyers remorse after we closed on our house in Champaign. We moved in such a hurry and liked the house, initially. A house filled with staged furniture/pictures (let me repeat, when you're in a hurry) was appealing. Once in, I hated it.

I expressed to my SIL (our real estate agent) my remorse and she contacted her "Property Brothers" type remodel friend. Spent another $50K and now love our house. We totally overspent to get the house we now love. Our neighborhood has tree lined streets and great neighbors. Upgraded schools and high end shopping, cafe's and hotels within walking distance which elevated our property value. Our neighborhood is quiet with very little traffic. We can walk to Illini football and basketball games.

About a year prior to retirement, replacing both cars. The old cars had over 150,000+ miles and needed to be gone, however, we probably could've limped one of them along until we retired.
So far, three years in, only very, very rarely do we need two cars. And even then, one of us could use Uber or wait until the other is home.

About a year prior to retirement, replacing both cars. The old cars had over 150,000+ miles and needed to be gone, however, we probably could've limped one of them along until we retired.
So far, three years in, only very, very rarely do we need two cars. And even then, one of us could use Uber or wait until the other is home.

With 1 kid at home still, and 1 getting married next month, we still have the following vehicles on our property;

-2004 diesel Excursion Limited
-2004 Mustang GT convertible
-2003 BMW 325 CI convertible
-2006 Jeep Liberty Renegade
-1996 Ford F150
-2002 BMW 525
-last month I sold my Porsche 944

I plan on consolidating a bit, and my son will take is 525 with him when he gets an apartment. The 325 has a blown head gasket, and is non-op right now, but may get sold to a friend. Some of these vehicles serve as emergency back up cars for the whole family.

We will always have at least 3 vehicles on our farm.

Every time I go by a Ford dealer I stretch my neck to see the Mustangs . Several times I have stopped . I own a 2002 Coupe but I really like the new ones . But then I go to the shows where the people have the expensive sports cars and all they do is complain because they have to trailer them . I have 2006 Ridgeline with 178,000 miles no problems always maintained by Honda . I look at the new Ridgelines and my service tech talks me out of it . My best auto friend is my Honda Service MGR.

Ex-clunker driver here. Always drove 5-15 YO units. They served my hunting/camping/fishing hobbies nicely. For years, I lusted in my heart for a Honda Element. Found a used one. '07/90K miles/one owner/clean CarFax. I previously owned a CRV and it was a tank, so I figured same with the Element (same chassis and drive train).

I loved the Element :smitten: , but it refused to love me back :mad: . Every couple of months, something significant would fail. After a year and a half, I had spent around the purchase price in a handful of repairs. I (rightly or wrongly) concluded that either the original owner beat the hell out of that vehicle; or, the speedometer cable was disconnected for the vast majority of miles driven.

Anyhoo, I traded it in on a new vehicle. It was hard to ignore the sunk cost, but I had every confidence that there were going to be more issues to come with "Christine." I'm also out of the used car business as my current fleet of 3 were all purchased new. :dance:

There have been several things but the one that tops DW's list is not one but two corvettes. Nice cars and fun to have but not smart (of which I am constantly reminded). Insurance, taxes, fuel etc.

I recently took my 4 yo grandson out to the garage to show him the cars thinking he would be excited since he is a "hot wheels guy" He said " Grandpa you have two corbettes! Why?" I had no answer. :blush:

I bought a used 2011 Nissan Leaf with a new battery. It died 18 months later. Lost about 6K

Wish I wouldn’t have bought my new home. Bought a new build with all the upgrades I wanted. Love it some days as it has a garden space and room for my dogs, but there are other days when my small condo was better. Guess it depends if there has been more than a week of very hot, dry weather how I feel. 😂

Regret not ordering the magnetic shocks on the '19 vette

Regret selling the '70 BB - but that was pre-ER

I guess maybe regret duplicate purchases - lots of spares around here

Regret not getting the 250 hp on the 'toon instead of the 150

A few regrets on things I didn't buy

That stuff is just built in to the cost of living!

No regrets so far. We're thinking about a new Lexus GX SUV in the next couple years to replace our current 15 year old model. Hopefully with no regrets.

Ex-clunker driver here. Always drove 5-15 YO units. They served my hunting/camping/fishing hobbies nicely. For years, I lusted in my heart for a Honda Element. Found a used one. '07/90K miles/one owner/clean CarFax. I previously owned a CRV and it was a tank, so I figured same with the Element (same chassis and drive train).

I loved the Element :smitten: , but it refused to love me back :mad: . Every couple of months, something significant would fail. After a year and a half, I had spent around the purchase price in a handful of repairs. I (rightly or wrongly) concluded that either the original owner beat the hell out of that vehicle; or, the speedometer cable was disconnected for the vast majority of miles driven.

Anyhoo, I traded it in on a new vehicle. It was hard to ignore the sunk cost, but I had every confidence that there were going to be more issues to come with "Christine." I'm also out of the used car business as my current fleet of 3 were all purchased new. :dance:

A NEW Series' Honda Element is coming-out in the USA in 2020.

OP I'd suspect many that inflate their lifestyle's in a new retirement platform regret it later on. A friends wife just passed, he's 94, and fully functional w/little to occupy his precious time but gardening akin to ClintEastwood in the newer "mule" movie.

Best wishes & Good luck!

Last edited:

I have had the same experience with my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. I bought it new for retirement. I have spent a bunch of money on it since just keeping it running. It is great when it isn't broken, but new cars should not have continuing mechanical issues. It has 90k miles on it now. I'm thinking I'll get a new Ford F250 or F350 Tremor in the next year or so.

Buy what you want/ U can afford too

Why you put in all those hours? Years? Why you save all that money, deferred and continue to be a smart investor?

Bought His & Her Mercedes couple yrs before ER’d at 51 so what? Got that C8
Mid-engine vette on order because I can & like the way it looks w/o the Italian price but a pal just got Ferrari he still working...lol

Regret? Buyers remorse? Miss Me with all of that - you leave it ALL behind so I say enjoy the fruits of your labor. The grand kid can drive it later- I’m owner of
a car I don’t need but inherited (good on gas ⛽️) let’s my luxury cars be a luxury

Soon, we’ll all have electric cars or hybrid once it’s so regulated or maybe I’ll be like my Dad by then ~ he can no longer drive but he had list of nice cars!

Oh does My moniker read Live Large?

No buyers remorse, but a couple of "timing remorse" items. Things I wanted that I bought and like, but feel I have not had the time to spend with them that I thought. Not a "why did I buy this", but "perhaps I should have waited to buy this when I could set aside time to play with/use it".

I have to confess, I bought a new 911 Porsche. Beautiful cars and I've always wanted one. I had the money so i splurged. Pampered it and rarely drove it. It rides rough and the maintenance cost was ridiculous. I could afford the cost but felt gouged for the hefty expensive. Only put 6K miles on it and then sold it. Haven't missed it- - love my supercharged truck though!

I have had the same experience with my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. I bought it new for retirement. I have spent a bunch of money on it since just keeping it running. It is great when it isn't broken, but new cars should not have continuing mechanical issues. It has 90k miles on it now. I'm thinking I'll get a new Ford F250 or F350 Tremor in the next year or so.
I know how it feels to buy a lemon but have you checked out the JLs? DW just bought a Unlimited Rubicon for her 5th Wrangler. It's unlike anything I've seen in a Wrangler. Who knows about the reliability at this point? But I enjoy driving this much more than my 2014 GMC Sierra.

I don’t regret the 4 corvettes I’ve owned as I’ve always bought older ones and made money on the first 3. Currently own a C5 roadster that I have less in than the first year depreciation of a new one. I do regret getting a 20 foot pontoon instead of a 24 footer (also envy my neighbor with a pontoon with twin 300 ‘s on it, but that’s out of my price range).

Back
Top Bottom