Buying tires

I've bought several sets from Tire Rack over the years. It amazed me to find the tires sitting in my driveway, less than 24 hours after placing the order a couple of times. But that kind of service comes at a cost, and the shipping cost for online purchased tires seems to have increased from what I remember, tipping the scales back to obtaining locally. So the last couple sets I've bought locally from a shop I trust and who did the installations for me. Interestingly enough, one of those sets was a not so common size, and not readily available through their regular source, so they ordered them from tire rack. They told me that a local distributor has a lock on somewhere around 95% of the tires sold in this locality, so that was a definite outlier.

About nine months later, I had a slow leak in one of them and found a metal roofing screw embedded in the tire tread. Tire manufacturer advises not to repair (high performance tire), and though I was SOL and would need to buy a new one. Looked though paperwork and found the tire warranty info, called the installer – and they ordered a replacement without even questioning it and installed for free. I mention that as it might be difficult to get warranty coverage service though a third party installer, so just another thing to think about.

Bought from Discount Tires; they price matched Tire Rack which had the lowest price.

For one car we had I needed winter tires and wheels and ordered both from TireRack. They were delivered... mounted and balanced... and just needed to be put on the car. I thought that was pretty cool.

My usual go to for tires is Discount Tire, may not be the absolute lowest cost vs online, but the customer service is great. Any road hazard is dealt with no hassles and generally no cost. This is especially good for my trailer tires, which talk to anyone with a trailer and trailer tires just do not hold up. I have used the warranty for them several times.

OP, back to your question, mount and balance should be around $15-20 per tire. Check Wal Mart for the mount and balance if you do go online purchase.

Have used Discount Tire, Costco and Tirerack. The last purchase was at Costco because it is was replacing a previous set bought there. Not sure what the others do, but Costco gave me a full credit for early tread wearout. They were 60k tires and had the safety strip showing at 45k. Because I had all the rotation done at Costco there was no hassle with getting the credit. DSIL had opposite experience when he could not show any evidence of regular rotation.
So, a consideration maybe which vendor offers the most convenience for keeping up with rotation. FWIW, Costco tire mgr told me they do a lot of early wearout tread credits. He commented that a lot if not most of the tires mfg products do not make their warranty tread life.
For that reason, probably will stay with Costco even though Discount Tire seems to be a bit less expensive but the nearest store is 80 miles away. Versus, we are in Costco at every two weeks.
Nwsteve

I've shopped tirerack.com in the past, usually just to get an idea of what I should be paying. My local Discount Tire store has always been able to match or beat the delivered price plus install, often with a slighter better quality tire and longer warranty. Customer service is always very good. I have a long history with them and all my cars are in their system, including my kid's cars. I like stopping in to get my tires rotated, inspected, or just a pressure check. If I have any problem at all before the warranty miles are used up (like uneven wear due to alignment), they always figure out a way to get me the prorated credit and a new set of tires. I just like doing business with them.

Have a zillion local and chain tire stores nearby, plus Costco and Sams Club. I have been most satisfied with cost and service at Sams Club. You can order online with tires shipped to the store, buy from stock at the store, or have the store tire center order. The later has many tires available for order that are not listed on the sams website.

+ 1 for Sams.
Last set of Goodyears were special order (on sale) which took 4 days.
Mounting and lifetime balance/rotate and I was out the door at a price no one could touch.
Remember, if you have tire pressure monitoring on your vehicle, some dealers will toss in some extra charges.

To the OP, Amazon may pay about the same wholesale cost for the, but is selling on a razor thin margin,or even a loss, to build market share , and quash all competitors.

Local will be higher, but what has Amazon or tire Rack done to employ folks or pay business taxes in your community ?

Right, I understand that, which is one reason I'd prefer to buy the tires from my local garage. But when I saw that the difference would be several hundred dollars, it made me cringe. I would definitely get the tires from the local garage if their price was slightly higher.........maybe even $100 higher, for the tires plus mount/balance. But several hundred dollars makes me feel like I am getting taken to the cleaners, and I don't think I can agree to that. I'm probably going to order the tires through Amazon, and take them to a different local car repair guy, to have them mounted and balanced. I know he will do it for a fair price, and will do a good job.

Another Discount Tire fan here - they have gone above and beyond for me several times and their prices are usually OK (not the lowest but not the highest). So they get my tire business.

Plus they rotate and balance for the life of the tire... you do not have to pay every time.... I factor that into my decision....

Regarding Costco...one of my friends owns a successful garage and has told me that as an independent business he often will pay more for tires from the manufacturer than the retail price at Costco. He is often asked to price match, but to do so means taking a loss.

Bummer that you do not have a Costco in the "neighborhood." I like the tires they are willing to handle and the prices always seem reasonable (considering) and the installation is also reasonable (not cheap, though). Any issues, and I just stop in (check pressure, check wear, repair most nails, etc.).

I'm just guessing that most independents will want to charge an arm and a leg to install "Amazon" tires. Selling you the tires is their main profit center most likely - not standard installation. But YMMV.

Some years ago, In support of my retail management career, I spent some time with the Firestone tire national sales manager, going through the Firestome manufacturing plant and taking the short course in the construction, classification, testing and value rating of tires. A general study of in depth valuation of tires, based on planned use.

Since the use of our family cars does not involve high speed, off-road, or excessive heat , cold, or ice, my own decision on tires goes to the lower end, lower price range. I expect about 40,000 miles and 10 years per tire.

As to tire age, drying out and weakness that comes with low or no use is something I've never seen, so I don't buy into the salesman's pitch about age.

One slow flat in the past 25 years.

Basically, it's Walmart or Sears for me... rotating and guarantees available without problem in most areas where we'd travel. Even though both of our cars... Town Car and a Cadillac , are heavier I see no reason to go with the top of the line tires the basic construction is essentially the same... steel belts and tire carcasses and manufacturing process essentially the same.

And so, price and a sale are my criteria for purchase. With the installation, balancing, extended warranty and old tire disposal fee, my last set of four tires cost $350, including sales tax.

For those who have different needs, this website gives some basic information on tire ratings... and may help with understanding the rating codes.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

Attachments

• 1280px-Tire_code_-_en.svg.png
    1280px-Tire_code_-_en.svg.png
    247.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I just had 4 Michelin Defender tires installed on DW car at Town Fair Tire each tire was $25 cheaper than Tire Rack price. They charged me a total of $83 for mounting/wheel balance and new stems valve.

Unfortunately this chain is only available in the 4 states of MA, CT, NH and Maine. So if you live in one of these states check them out.

Some years ago, In support of my retail management career, I spent some time with the Firestone tire national sales manager, going through the Firestome manufacturing plant and taking the short course in the construction, classification, testing and value rating of tires. A general study of in depth valuation of tires, based on planned use.

Since the use of our family cars does not involve high speed, off-road, or excessive heat , cold, or ice, my own decision on tires goes to the lower end, lower price range. I expect about 40,000 miles and 10 years per tire.

As to tire age, drying out and weakness that comes with low or no use is something I've never seen, so I don't buy into the salesman's pitch about age.

One slow flat in the past 25 years.

Basically, it's Walmart or Sears for me... rotating and guarantees available without problem in most areas where we'd travel. Even though both of our cars... Town Car and a Cadillac , are heavier I see no reason to go with the top of the line tires the basic construction is essentially the same... steel belts and tire carcasses and manufacturing process essentially the same.

And so, price and a sale are my criteria for purchase. With the installation, balancing, extended warranty and old tire disposal fee, my last set of four tires cost $350, including sales tax.

For those who have different needs, this website gives some basic information on tire ratings... and may help with understanding the rating codes.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

I had a tire blow while sitting in a driveway from dry rot due to age.... the guy across the street thought it was a gun shot...

We had both tires on our boat trailer blow up on the same trip.... and they both had lots of tread left...

Age does make a difference... but I also think that using them helps prevent premature aging...

I have really soured on Costco for tires due to an incident last year with a neighbors SUV. She needed tires and I suggested costco. Everything was great until she got a nail puncture. Slow leak, we went to the Costco tire center to get it fixed.

The tire center manager of the day said it would be about 4 hours, several cars ahead in line, ok , fair enough. Me: " Can we leave the tire and come back when it's done ? " Costco tire manager: " No, we cant work on your vehicle out of sequence " Me: you cant just grab a floor jack and air ratchet , pull the leaking tire, and put on the spare ? " "Costco manager : no, that is our policy". Ok, can I take it off in the parking lot, and leave it ? Costco : Sure ", and he wrote up the ticket.

Kind of chicken dung to spend as much time explaining "Policy", as just swapping the spare out. Pretty sure the guy was just following orders from headquarters.

Several hours pass, Costco calls the neighbor, says the tire is fixed. She went to pick up the tire and get the spare swapped out , They then told her it would be 3 or 4 hours to take the spare off, and bolt on the repaired tire.

Another 3-4 hour wait wait for a 5 minute task ? Sheer corporate stupidity with a capitol S. This would never happen at Sams club or any tire place I have come across in 40+ years of driving.

Not worth a letter, but i'l never buy tires at Costco again. I'm afraid this is the type of crap taught in management schools by people who have no place in their twisted minds for common scene.

Would love to be face to face with a Costco corporate executive , for a little chat on a business cancer called micromanagement .

I have really soured on Costco for tires due to an incident last year with a neighbors SUV............ .

Are you sure this is a problem Costco wide or did you run into an idiot at this particular store?

There is an alarming lack of common sense in this country that is starting to drive me crazy.

I have really soured on Costco for tires due to an incident last year with a neighbors SUV. She needed tires and I suggested costco. Everything was great until she got a nail puncture. Slow leak, we went to the Costco tire center to get it fixed.

The tire center manager of the day said it would be about 4 hours, several cars ahead in line, ok , fair enough. Me: " Can we leave the tire and come back when it's done ? " Costco tire manager: " No, we cant work on your vehicle out of sequence " Me: you cant just grab a floor jack and air ratchet , pull the leaking tire, and put on the spare ? " "Costco manager : no, that is our policy". Ok, can I take it off in the parking lot, and leave it ? Costco : Sure ", and he wrote up the ticket.

Kind of chicken dung to spend as much time explaining "Policy", as just swapping the spare out. Pretty sure the guy was just following orders from headquarters.

Several hours pass, Costco calls the neighbor, says the tire is fixed. She went to pick up the tire and get the spare swapped out , They then told her it would be 3 or 4 hours to take the spare off, and bolt on the repaired tire.

Another 3-4 hour wait wait for a 5 minute task ? Sheer corporate stupidity with a capitol S. This would never happen at Sams club or any tire place I have come across in 40+ years of driving.

Not worth a letter, but i'l never buy tires at Costco again. I'm afraid this is the type of crap taught in management schools by people who have no place in their twisted minds for common scene.

Would love to be face to face with a Costco corporate executive , for a little chat on a business cancer called micromanagement .

Most of the big-box places I've dealt with have had a first-come-first-served policy. If you want to get in and out quickly, get there early. If I were waiting in line to get MY flat tire fixed and someone rolled in expecting immediate service -- and then got it -- I'd be annoyed. So it's a lose-lose situation for the tire manager.

The alternative is to find a good local shop where you can make an appointment. My local shop schedules me for a quick service like tire rotation and gets me out within an hour. But their emphasis is on service, not price.

Most of the big-box places I've dealt with have had a first-come-first-served policy. If you want to get in and out quickly, get there early. If I were waiting in line to get MY flat tire fixed and someone rolled in expecting immediate service -- and then got it -- I'd be annoyed. So it's a lose-lose situation for the tire manager.

The alternative is to find a good local shop where you can make an appointment. My local shop schedules me for a quick service like tire rotation and gets me out within an hour. But their emphasis is on service, not price.

We were not trying to "Jump the line" , especially on the return visit. but seriously Costco, take 5 stinkin minutes to put on the spare, and we will come back later. The really stupid part , after leaving the flat tire wheel, coming back hours later when it's fixed, then being asked hours to bolt it on the car, Uh, when it comes down to it, the service started when the flat was left off hours earlier, long before any of the cars currently being worked on , so who came in first ?

(Non revenue ) warranty) work is part of the business. If you don't intend to have the same standard of service, then Costco should drop road hazard coverage.

I retired from A very large municipal government agency, so I know stupidity when I see it ;), hate to see it creeping into Costco.

Last edited:
Are you sure this is a problem Costco wide or did you run into an idiot at this particular store?

The store is generally well run, and I am sure the guy was just following Costco management directives. Rouge employees will get booted quickly.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it is a ploy to get you to go into the store and buy a big screen tv😄

Have always got my tires and fixes done at Costco and have had good service and more importantly never felt I got ripped off.

Our Costco now is accepting appointments for tire service.

The store is generally well run, and I am sure the guy was just following Costco management directives. Rouge employees will get booted quickly.

Not always... I had put down in the pet peeve thread about Discount Tire and scheduling an appt.... I went in, they said they had a line, but I could call back and see... called back and the guy said he put me in line and be there in 30 minutes... I was there in 20... told 'the wait is 2 hours' etc... well, when I sent a nasty gram to corp the real manager of the place called me and set up an appt (which, as I understood I had made earlier)....

So, one lower manager is saying they do not have appts and the main manager saying they do.... and the website even has appt times you can schedule...

I would just elevate it to management and see what they say... they might say he followed policy or they might say he was mistaken on what the policy meant....

Not always... I had put down in the pet peeve thread about Discount Tire and scheduling an appt....
So, one lower manager is saying they do not have appts and the main manager saying they do.... and the website even has appt times you can schedule...

I wonder if the SOP at discount Tire is to hand the manager on duty an " Appointment Certificate " (2 sided green paper with the image of Mr. Hamilton printed on it) ;)

Update to my original post on this:

I did order the tires from Amazon. Local garage that had quoted me $950 to order/mount/balance the tires did say that they'll still mount and balance them, wherever I got them from. They charge about $80 for mounting/balancing/disposal of 4 old tires, which sounds good to me.

Total cost of going the route I did: about $730, versus $950, if the local garage ordered the tires for me.

So, someone is making a heck of a profit on the tires, if they are ordered through the local garage. I'm starting to think it's the tire distributor they use, even more than the local garage (but, it's probably both to some extent).

Anyway, I'm happy with the deal I got. I'm not thrilled with dealing with Amazon for stuff like this, but the prospect of spending an extra $220 was enough to sway me in their direction this time. Living in a rural area, I did not have the options to purchase the tires from places like Costco, Sam's, Discount Tire, etc., that many of you have.

To me, Michelin sells more sizzle than steak. Yeah, the tread lasts forever, but I've found that the rubber compound they use delivers less-than-ideal traction in wet, cold weather once they've worn in a bit. Granted, my experience was with a high-torque rear-wheel-drive car ('95 BMW 540i, with Energy MXV4s). But after 50K miles I was fed up with them.

BTW, my MXV4s also developed cracking where the tread meets the sidewall. Looked like this (not my tires, but this is what they looked like):
michelin-tires_6035.JPG

This was exactly the way I felt about Michelins but my recent experience has changed my mind. My last company car came with Michelins from the factory. I bought the car before I ER'd and it currently has 90k and the tires are almost perfect with only routine rotation. I was actually hoping a couple of them would wear out just before I bought the car, but no such luck! I did replace 2 tires due to punctures so I do actually prefer a tire that just goes 50k and then I can get a full new set. Around here, road hazard damage seems to come with the territory.

Also, too late to help the OP, but I am being stalked by a web ad for TireBuyer.com....they seem to have pretty good prices and free shippng in most cases. I have bought several sets of tires from TireRack and been very pleased. Tire Rack is currently offering free road hazard coverage on most of their products which is more important to me than free shipping.

Back
Top Bottom