Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-15-2015, 07:35 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
I have really soured on Costco for tires due to an incident last year with a neighbors SUV............ .
Are you sure this is a problem Costco wide or did you run into an idiot at this particular store?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2015, 08:07 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

There is an alarming lack of common sense in this country that is starting to drive me crazy.

pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:33 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I have really soured on Costco for tires due to an incident last year with a neighbors SUV. She needed tires and I suggested costco. Everything was great until she got a nail puncture. Slow leak, we went to the Costco tire center to get it fixed.

The tire center manager of the day said it would be about 4 hours, several cars ahead in line, ok , fair enough. Me: " Can we leave the tire and come back when it's done ? " Costco tire manager: " No, we cant work on your vehicle out of sequence " Me: you cant just grab a floor jack and air ratchet , pull the leaking tire, and put on the spare ? " "Costco manager : no, that is our policy". Ok, can I take it off in the parking lot, and leave it ? Costco : Sure ", and he wrote up the ticket.

Kind of chicken dung to spend as much time explaining "Policy", as just swapping the spare out. Pretty sure the guy was just following orders from headquarters.

Several hours pass, Costco calls the neighbor, says the tire is fixed. She went to pick up the tire and get the spare swapped out , They then told her it would be 3 or 4 hours to take the spare off, and bolt on the repaired tire.

Another 3-4 hour wait wait for a 5 minute task ? Sheer corporate stupidity with a capitol S. This would never happen at Sams club or any tire place I have come across in 40+ years of driving.

Not worth a letter, but i'l never buy tires at Costco again. I'm afraid this is the type of crap taught in management schools by people who have no place in their twisted minds for common scene.

Would love to be face to face with a Costco corporate executive , for a little chat on a business cancer called micromanagement .
Most of the big-box places I've dealt with have had a first-come-first-served policy. If you want to get in and out quickly, get there early. If I were waiting in line to get MY flat tire fixed and someone rolled in expecting immediate service -- and then got it -- I'd be annoyed. So it's a lose-lose situation for the tire manager.

The alternative is to find a good local shop where you can make an appointment. My local shop schedules me for a quick service like tire rotation and gets me out within an hour. But their emphasis is on service, not price.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:52 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
Most of the big-box places I've dealt with have had a first-come-first-served policy. If you want to get in and out quickly, get there early. If I were waiting in line to get MY flat tire fixed and someone rolled in expecting immediate service -- and then got it -- I'd be annoyed. So it's a lose-lose situation for the tire manager.

The alternative is to find a good local shop where you can make an appointment. My local shop schedules me for a quick service like tire rotation and gets me out within an hour. But their emphasis is on service, not price.
We were not trying to "Jump the line" , especially on the return visit. but seriously Costco, take 5 stinkin minutes to put on the spare, and we will come back later. The really stupid part , after leaving the flat tire wheel, coming back hours later when it's fixed, then being asked hours to bolt it on the car, Uh, when it comes down to it, the service started when the flat was left off hours earlier, long before any of the cars currently being worked on , so who came in first ?

(Non revenue ) warranty) work is part of the business. If you don't intend to have the same standard of service, then Costco should drop road hazard coverage.

I retired from A very large municipal government agency, so I know stupidity when I see it , hate to see it creeping into Costco.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:00 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Are you sure this is a problem Costco wide or did you run into an idiot at this particular store?
The store is generally well run, and I am sure the guy was just following Costco management directives. Rouge employees will get booted quickly.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:19 AM   #46

I'm pretty sure it is a ploy to get you to go into the store and buy a big screen tv😄

Have always got my tires and fixes done at Costco and have had good service and more importantly never felt I got ripped off.

Our Costco now is accepting appointments for tire service.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:20 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The store is generally well run, and I am sure the guy was just following Costco management directives. Rouge employees will get booted quickly.

Not always... I had put down in the pet peeve thread about Discount Tire and scheduling an appt.... I went in, they said they had a line, but I could call back and see... called back and the guy said he put me in line and be there in 30 minutes... I was there in 20... told 'the wait is 2 hours' etc... well, when I sent a nasty gram to corp the real manager of the place called me and set up an appt (which, as I understood I had made earlier)....

So, one lower manager is saying they do not have appts and the main manager saying they do.... and the website even has appt times you can schedule...

I would just elevate it to management and see what they say... they might say he followed policy or they might say he was mistaken on what the policy meant....
Old 09-15-2015, 03:00 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Not always... I had put down in the pet peeve thread about Discount Tire and scheduling an appt....
So, one lower manager is saying they do not have appts and the main manager saying they do.... and the website even has appt times you can schedule...
I wonder if the SOP at discount Tire is to hand the manager on duty an " Appointment Certificate " (2 sided green paper with the image of Mr. Hamilton printed on it)
Old 09-15-2015, 07:16 PM   #49

Update to my original post on this:

I did order the tires from Amazon. Local garage that had quoted me $950 to order/mount/balance the tires did say that they'll still mount and balance them, wherever I got them from. They charge about $80 for mounting/balancing/disposal of 4 old tires, which sounds good to me.

Total cost of going the route I did: about $730, versus $950, if the local garage ordered the tires for me.

So, someone is making a heck of a profit on the tires, if they are ordered through the local garage. I'm starting to think it's the tire distributor they use, even more than the local garage (but, it's probably both to some extent).

Anyway, I'm happy with the deal I got. I'm not thrilled with dealing with Amazon for stuff like this, but the prospect of spending an extra $220 was enough to sway me in their direction this time. Living in a rural area, I did not have the options to purchase the tires from places like Costco, Sam's, Discount Tire, etc., that many of you have.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:22 PM   #50

Quote:
To me, Michelin sells more sizzle than steak. Yeah, the tread lasts forever, but I've found that the rubber compound they use delivers less-than-ideal traction in wet, cold weather once they've worn in a bit. Granted, my experience was with a high-torque rear-wheel-drive car ('95 BMW 540i, with Energy MXV4s). But after 50K miles I was fed up with them.

BTW, my MXV4s also developed cracking where the tread meets the sidewall. Looked like this (not my tires, but this is what they looked like):
This was exactly the way I felt about Michelins but my recent experience has changed my mind. My last company car came with Michelins from the factory. I bought the car before I ER'd and it currently has 90k and the tires are almost perfect with only routine rotation. I was actually hoping a couple of them would wear out just before I bought the car, but no such luck! I did replace 2 tires due to punctures so I do actually prefer a tire that just goes 50k and then I can get a full new set. Around here, road hazard damage seems to come with the territory.

Also, too late to help the OP, but I am being stalked by a web ad for TireBuyer.com....they seem to have pretty good prices and free shippng in most cases. I have bought several sets of tires from TireRack and been very pleased. Tire Rack is currently offering free road hazard coverage on most of their products which is more important to me than free shipping.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:02 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Interestingly, I just bought new tires last month for my Hyundai Genesis Coupe. I shopped around and wound up getting a great online price at one of the local Hyundai dealers of all places. It didn't hurt that they had a special on of buy three get one free. I was also able to get a four wheel alignment at the same time. The dealer actually goofed and did not have the tires available the day my appointment was for. No problem, they gave me a brand new Sonata to use until they could get the tires. They then delivered my car washed with a full tank of gas and took back the loaner when everything was done the next day.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:07 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Buying tires

When I was researching buying tires online I came across warnings about the date of manufacture being a possible concern which is what allowed the tires to be sold cheap. It is my recollection that the date codes are hard to decipher for the average Joe. Don't mean to be an alarmist and have not experienced this personally so take it for what's its worth. Just one more thing to verify a deal that seems too good to be true. Happy driving
Old 09-15-2015, 09:07 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

We get tires on sale from Costco. I price shopped in the past and for us Costco came out ahead. Now we usually just go there from the get go.

Our local Costco has excellent service on both the install and warranty tire repair.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:15 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
I just had 4 Michelin Defender tires installed on DW car at Town Fair Tire each tire was $25 cheaper than Tire Rack price. They charged me a total of $83 for mounting/wheel balance and new stems valve.

Unfortunately this chain is only available in the 4 states of MA, CT, NH and Maine. So if you live in one of these states check them out.

+1 on Town Fair (I live in CT). Good service and price.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-15-2015, 09:57 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
Interestingly, I just bought new tires last month for my Hyundai Genesis Coupe. I shopped around and wound up getting a great online price at one of the local Hyundai dealers of all places. It didn't hurt that they had a special on of buy three get one free. I was also able to get a four wheel alignment at the same time. The dealer actually goofed and did not have the tires available the day my appointment was for. No problem, they gave me a brand new Sonata to use until they could get the tires. They then delivered my car washed with a full tank of gas and took back the loaner when everything was done the next day.
I have a Hyundai also (Elantra... cheap).... and I am starting to think that the 4 wheel alignment is a scam... I took our two cars in for recalls and both 'needed' an alignment.... I paid for one but not the other...

Now, I say it seem strange since I have not had a car that needed an alignment for decades... and now two need them on the same day

I will know for sure when I take the car to my normal garage for it's 60K checkup... I will ask them to check it and if there is nothing wrong then the dealership is cheating me....
Old 09-15-2015, 10:00 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
To me, Michelin sells more sizzle than steak. Yeah, the tread lasts forever, but I've found that the rubber compound they use delivers less-than-ideal traction in wet, cold weather once they've worn in a bit. Granted, my experience was with a high-torque rear-wheel-drive car ('95 BMW 540i, with Energy MXV4s). But after 50K miles I was fed up with them.

BTW, my MXV4s also developed cracking where the tread meets the sidewall. Looked like this (not my tires, but this is what they looked like):

I missed your post, but saw it quoted...

My 90K warranty Michelins have 30K on them now and the tire store said I will only get 10K more from them... so they do NOT last forever...

As far as the separation shown, that is very dangerous and should be replaced .... under warranty if your miles are under the warranty....
Old 09-15-2015, 10:27 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I have a Hyundai also (Elantra... cheap).... and I am starting to think that the 4 wheel alignment is a scam... I took our two cars in for recalls and both 'needed' an alignment.... I paid for one but not the other...

Now, I say it seem strange since I have not had a car that needed an alignment for decades... and now two need them on the same day

I will know for sure when I take the car to my normal garage for it's 60K checkup... I will ask them to check it and if there is nothing wrong then the dealership is cheating me....
Yes, it's generally a scam since most front end parts are good for 100,000 - 150,000 miles under normal conditions. Most movable front suspension and steering parts have no grease fittings (sealed cups) and materials these days are much better than the old days of wishbone/kingpin type suspensions.

Four wheel alignments are a waste unless your car was really whacked or you bang the back wheels into curbs at high speed. Some cars do not allow rear suspension alignment unless you buy adjustment brackets from the dealer. Stepson's MB 230 Compressor (lousy car) is like that and only the dealers will mess with it.

Most front ends only allow for toe in/toe out and caster (sometimes) adjustments unless the owner installs a camber kit (aftermarket). A camber kit allows adjustments for wider wheels and for sport track racing.

I was at the Hyundai dealer with DW's Santa Fe two months ago to get a software update and the service writer suggested it may be "time for an alignment". I said have at it as the car is still under full warranty. Boy he was quick to change his mind! (I did ask him what the recommended factory service interval is for an alignment and never got an answer)

The last alignment I paid for was right after I rebuilt my daughter's front end on her 1996 Cougar with 200,000 or so on it. Actually, after installing new lower control arms, upper control arm bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, struts and stabilized bar bushings, the front end was only slightly out of toe.

Since then we have driven several cars well over 100K and with no crazy tire wear or other handling issues and have not done any alignments.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:37 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Most of the big-box places I've dealt with have had a first-come-first-served policy. If you want to get in and out quickly, get there early. If I were waiting in line to get MY flat tire fixed and someone rolled in expecting immediate service -- and then got it -- I'd be annoyed. So it's a lose-lose situation for the tire manager...
I can see how customers with a "quick job" can bump other customers waiting in line and make them irate. Hence, the policy of strict service by the order in the queue.

I have always brought loose tires in for service by first removing them at home, then reinstalling them myself after they are fixed. I have floor jacks and the job takes me no time at all.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:55 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought new tires for my 50+ year old toy car yesterday. Costco doesn't carry the size I need, I'm in Canada so on-line is limited.

I went to a local dealer who employs a friend. Since I had replaced most of the front suspension (did it myself) it also needed an alignment badly. My friend said he could do it. I paid C$80 for 175-70-13 times 4 plus tubes. The alignment was "shop price" C$119. My friend told me it took him 2.5 hours to get it aligned. Total tax (10%) in was C$650.

Whatever I paid extra for the tires, I saved on the alignment. Without the tire purchase, I'd have had to pay "shop rate" (>C$125/hr) for the alignment.

Sometimes you can support local business and still get, if not the absolute lowest price, a fair one.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:43 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newventurer View Post
When I was researching buying tires online I came across warnings about the date of manufacture being a possible concern which is what allowed the tires to be sold cheap. It is my recollection that the date codes are hard to decipher for the average Joe. Don't mean to be an alarmist and have not experienced this personally so take it for what's its worth. Just one more thing to verify a deal that seems too good to be true. Happy driving
Thanks for the tip. This link shows you where the date of manufacture of your tire is printed on the sidewall: Barry's Tire Tech

I just checked the tires on my Jeep, and found the date right away - not difficult.

I've always been leery of buying used tires, because of the age issue, and now I'll check the date before buying.