Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-17-2015, 09:07 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
Thanks for the tip. This link shows you where the date of manufacture of your tire is printed on the sidewall: Barry's Tire Tech

I just checked the tires on my Jeep, and found the date right away - not difficult.

I've always been leery of buying used tires, because of the age issue, and now I'll check the date before buying.
This reminds me of an interesting experience I had at Discount Tire a few years back. Way back in 2003 I purchased from Discount Tire a new set of Michelin Pilot tires for my new Chevy pick up. (upgraded wheels and tires from original). I always took advantage of the free tire rotation to extend the life of the tires.

In 2011 I took the pick up in to have the tires rotated. Discount Tire told me they would not rotate the tires anymore because according to the date on the tires they were over 10 years old and they were not allowed to touch tires in excess of 10 years old. I was instantly upset as the tires only had about 35,000 miles on them and they still showed good tread. I had really been very happy with them up to that point. Further, I pointed out to them that it would be impossible for the tires to be in excess of ten years old because I had purchased them new from them only 8 years previous.

Turns out that Discount Tires sold me a set of tires that would have been manufactured approximately 4 years before I purchased them. I quickly pointed out that they can't sell me 4 year old tires as new if they can't service them for a full 10 years. Discount Tire admitted that they should not have sold the tires to me in the first place, but that normally a person wears out tires faster than a 10 year period so that is normally not an issue.

I asked Discount Tire how they were going to correct their mistake. One hour later I was out the door with a brand new set of tires with full road hazard warranty included. My cost Zero $. That is good customer service, and that is why I continue to give them my business.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2015, 10:33 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

THAT is impressive customer service by Discount!

Old 09-17-2015, 10:49 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
.......... One hour later I was out the door with a brand new set of tires with full road hazard warranty included. ..........
Impressive and a good reminder to ask the age of the tire being installed when purchased. Especially important for trailer tires, as they tend to age out rather than wear out and sitting does a tire no good.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:06 PM   #64

Shameless plug for Sam's Club. They will repair any flat tire for a member including re-balance free, even if they didn't sell the tire. Caveat , tire must be repairable , not over x number of years old, and they will not repair a tire that has had a previous flat repair.

Must work out as a sales tool, with the member buying on or more tires anyway.

The last time I had to pay for a flat repair at a Goodyear Dealer, it was $39 to put in a patch, and re-balance. An ok price considering a proper patch and re-balance takes about 20 minutes of labor.

I will only use a plug in an emergency , due to the risk of ply separation at the plug site
Old 09-17-2015, 01:17 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Impressive and a good reminder to ask the age of the tire being installed when purchased. Especially important for trailer tires, as they tend to age out rather than wear out and sitting does a tire no good.
I often toyed with the idea of removing and storing trailer and motor-home tires/wheels in low pressure gas tight bags filled with nitrogen, to stave off deterioration of oxygen , ozone and sunlight.

Would be a PITA , jack stands, and pulling the wheels, but maybe worth it if doubling the life ( in years). Would also force a true exterior inspection of the tires before bolting back on for the vacation season
Old 09-17-2015, 01:24 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I will only use a plug in an emergency , due to the risk of ply separation at the plug site
I suppose there is a risk, but I have plugged 20 tires in the last 10 years and never had an issue. I'm not about to plug one near the sidewall, though.

Quote:
Discount Tire told me they would not rotate the tires anymore because according to the date on the tires they were over 10 years old and they were not allowed to touch tires in excess of 10 years old.
As for this situation, I am glad it worked out for you in the end and Discount did the right thing. However, the fact that they refused to rotate your tires would have pissed me off. It's not like they would have been liable for your next blowout because you chose to rotate your tires. What kind of nanny state are we living in?

Walmart rubbed me the wrong way once, so now I mount and balance my own (when I feel like it). And do simple alignments, too. Stay off the sidewalks around central florida.....
Old 09-17-2015, 01:54 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunthewiser View Post
I suppose there is a risk, but I have plugged 20 tires in the last 10 years and never had an issue. I'm not about to plug one near the sidewall, though.

As for this situation, I am glad it worked out for you in the end and Discount did the right thing. However, the fact that they refused to rotate your tires would have pissed me off. It's not like they would have been liable for your next blowout because you chose to rotate your tires. What kind of nanny state are we living in?

Walmart rubbed me the wrong way once, so now I mount and balance my own (when I feel like it). And do simple alignments, too. Stay off the sidewalks around central florida.....

I would not put it past a lawyer to sue Discount if one of the tires blew out and someone was killed... stranger things have happened.... remember the McDonalds coffee the old lady put between her legs
Old 09-17-2015, 02:11 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunthewiser View Post
I suppose there is a risk, but I have plugged 20 tires in the last 10 years and never had an issue. I'm not about to plug one near the sidewall, though......
In my young and broke days, I'm sure I plugged at least a dozen tires, only had one fail and become from ply separation, at least that I knew of, because the danger can be hidden.

My dad had a " Professional" ( Local general auto repair shop who does not sell tires ) repair a nail hole with a plug. The tire blew out at high speed, and dad nearly had a rollover. Blowouts on the rear can be much more dangerous than on the front. That one blowout is one too many.

I know I'm drifting from the op subject, Link for rubber mfg.assoc. info on tire repair http://www.rma.org/wp-content/upload...lchart1111.pdf
Old 09-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Shameless plug for Sam's Club. They will repair any flat tire for a member including re-balance free, even if they didn't sell the tire. Caveat , tire must be repairable , not over x number of years old, and they will not repair a tire that has had a previous flat repair...

The last time I had to pay for a flat repair at a Goodyear Dealer, it was $39 to put in a patch, and re-balance. An ok price considering a proper patch and re-balance takes about 20 minutes of labor...
I once brought in a loose tire to Costco and they fixed it free even though they recognized that they did not sell it.

In the RV trip to Banff a few years ago, I had a puncture tire of my toad fixed at a Canadian Tire store (a large and well-known Canadian chain). The cost: US$34.23 (just looked up on Quicken). Man, I was shocked!