Buying tires

Interestingly, I just bought new tires last month for my Hyundai Genesis Coupe. I shopped around and wound up getting a great online price at one of the local Hyundai dealers of all places. It didn't hurt that they had a special on of buy three get one free. I was also able to get a four wheel alignment at the same time. The dealer actually goofed and did not have the tires available the day my appointment was for. No problem, they gave me a brand new Sonata to use until they could get the tires. They then delivered my car washed with a full tank of gas and took back the loaner when everything was done the next day.

When I was researching buying tires online I came across warnings about the date of manufacture being a possible concern which is what allowed the tires to be sold cheap. It is my recollection that the date codes are hard to decipher for the average Joe. Don't mean to be an alarmist and have not experienced this personally so take it for what's its worth. Just one more thing to verify a deal that seems too good to be true. Happy driving

We get tires on sale from Costco. I price shopped in the past and for us Costco came out ahead. Now we usually just go there from the get go.

Our local Costco has excellent service on both the install and warranty tire repair.

I just had 4 Michelin Defender tires installed on DW car at Town Fair Tire each tire was $25 cheaper than Tire Rack price. They charged me a total of $83 for mounting/wheel balance and new stems valve.

Unfortunately this chain is only available in the 4 states of MA, CT, NH and Maine. So if you live in one of these states check them out.

+1 on Town Fair (I live in CT). Good service and price.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Interestingly, I just bought new tires last month for my Hyundai Genesis Coupe. I shopped around and wound up getting a great online price at one of the local Hyundai dealers of all places. It didn't hurt that they had a special on of buy three get one free. I was also able to get a four wheel alignment at the same time. The dealer actually goofed and did not have the tires available the day my appointment was for. No problem, they gave me a brand new Sonata to use until they could get the tires. They then delivered my car washed with a full tank of gas and took back the loaner when everything was done the next day.

I have a Hyundai also (Elantra... cheap).... and I am starting to think that the 4 wheel alignment is a scam... I took our two cars in for recalls and both 'needed' an alignment.... I paid for one but not the other...

Now, I say it seem strange since I have not had a car that needed an alignment for decades... and now two need them on the same day:confused:

I will know for sure when I take the car to my normal garage for it's 60K checkup... I will ask them to check it and if there is nothing wrong then the dealership is cheating me....

To me, Michelin sells more sizzle than steak. Yeah, the tread lasts forever, but I've found that the rubber compound they use delivers less-than-ideal traction in wet, cold weather once they've worn in a bit. Granted, my experience was with a high-torque rear-wheel-drive car ('95 BMW 540i, with Energy MXV4s). But after 50K miles I was fed up with them.

BTW, my MXV4s also developed cracking where the tread meets the sidewall. Looked like this (not my tires, but this is what they looked like):
michelin-tires_6035.JPG

I missed your post, but saw it quoted...

My 90K warranty Michelins have 30K on them now and the tire store said I will only get 10K more from them... so they do NOT last forever...

As far as the separation shown, that is very dangerous and should be replaced .... under warranty if your miles are under the warranty....

I have a Hyundai also (Elantra... cheap).... and I am starting to think that the 4 wheel alignment is a scam... I took our two cars in for recalls and both 'needed' an alignment.... I paid for one but not the other...

Now, I say it seem strange since I have not had a car that needed an alignment for decades... and now two need them on the same day:confused:

I will know for sure when I take the car to my normal garage for it's 60K checkup... I will ask them to check it and if there is nothing wrong then the dealership is cheating me....

Yes, it's generally a scam since most front end parts are good for 100,000 - 150,000 miles under normal conditions. Most movable front suspension and steering parts have no grease fittings (sealed cups) and materials these days are much better than the old days of wishbone/kingpin type suspensions.

Four wheel alignments are a waste unless your car was really whacked or you bang the back wheels into curbs at high speed. Some cars do not allow rear suspension alignment unless you buy adjustment brackets from the dealer. Stepson's MB 230 Compressor (lousy car) is like that and only the dealers will mess with it.

Most front ends only allow for toe in/toe out and caster (sometimes) adjustments unless the owner installs a camber kit (aftermarket). A camber kit allows adjustments for wider wheels and for sport track racing.

I was at the Hyundai dealer with DW's Santa Fe two months ago to get a software update and the service writer suggested it may be "time for an alignment". I said have at it as the car is still under full warranty. Boy he was quick to change his mind! (I did ask him what the recommended factory service interval is for an alignment and never got an answer)

The last alignment I paid for was right after I rebuilt my daughter's front end on her 1996 Cougar with 200,000 or so on it. Actually, after installing new lower control arms, upper control arm bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, struts and stabilized bar bushings, the front end was only slightly out of toe.

Since then we have driven several cars well over 100K and with no crazy tire wear or other handling issues and have not done any alignments.

Most of the big-box places I've dealt with have had a first-come-first-served policy. If you want to get in and out quickly, get there early. If I were waiting in line to get MY flat tire fixed and someone rolled in expecting immediate service -- and then got it -- I'd be annoyed. So it's a lose-lose situation for the tire manager...

I can see how customers with a "quick job" can bump other customers waiting in line and make them irate. Hence, the policy of strict service by the order in the queue.

I have always brought loose tires in for service by first removing them at home, then reinstalling them myself after they are fixed. I have floor jacks and the job takes me no time at all.

I bought new tires for my 50+ year old toy car yesterday. Costco doesn't carry the size I need, I'm in Canada so on-line is limited.

I went to a local dealer who employs a friend. Since I had replaced most of the front suspension (did it myself) it also needed an alignment badly. My friend said he could do it. I paid C$80 for 175-70-13 times 4 plus tubes. The alignment was "shop price" C$119. My friend told me it took him 2.5 hours to get it aligned. Total tax (10%) in was C$650.

Whatever I paid extra for the tires, I saved on the alignment. Without the tire purchase, I'd have had to pay "shop rate" (>C$125/hr) for the alignment.

Sometimes you can support local business and still get, if not the absolute lowest price, a fair one.

When I was researching buying tires online I came across warnings about the date of manufacture being a possible concern which is what allowed the tires to be sold cheap. It is my recollection that the date codes are hard to decipher for the average Joe. Don't mean to be an alarmist and have not experienced this personally so take it for what's its worth. Just one more thing to verify a deal that seems too good to be true. Happy driving

Thanks for the tip. This link shows you where the date of manufacture of your tire is printed on the sidewall: Barry's Tire Tech

I just checked the tires on my Jeep, and found the date right away - not difficult.

I've always been leery of buying used tires, because of the age issue, and now I'll check the date before buying.

Thanks for the tip. This link shows you where the date of manufacture of your tire is printed on the sidewall: Barry's Tire Tech

I just checked the tires on my Jeep, and found the date right away - not difficult.

I've always been leery of buying used tires, because of the age issue, and now I'll check the date before buying.

This reminds me of an interesting experience I had at Discount Tire a few years back. Way back in 2003 I purchased from Discount Tire a new set of Michelin Pilot tires for my new Chevy pick up. (upgraded wheels and tires from original). I always took advantage of the free tire rotation to extend the life of the tires.

In 2011 I took the pick up in to have the tires rotated. Discount Tire told me they would not rotate the tires anymore because according to the date on the tires they were over 10 years old and they were not allowed to touch tires in excess of 10 years old. I was instantly upset as the tires only had about 35,000 miles on them and they still showed good tread. I had really been very happy with them up to that point. Further, I pointed out to them that it would be impossible for the tires to be in excess of ten years old because I had purchased them new from them only 8 years previous.

Turns out that Discount Tires sold me a set of tires that would have been manufactured approximately 4 years before I purchased them. I quickly pointed out that they can't sell me 4 year old tires as new if they can't service them for a full 10 years. Discount Tire admitted that they should not have sold the tires to me in the first place, but that normally a person wears out tires faster than a 10 year period so that is normally not an issue.

I asked Discount Tire how they were going to correct their mistake. One hour later I was out the door with a brand new set of tires with full road hazard warranty included. My cost Zero $. That is good customer service, and that is why I continue to give them my business.

.......... One hour later I was out the door with a brand new set of tires with full road hazard warranty included. ..........
Impressive and a good reminder to ask the age of the tire being installed when purchased. Especially important for trailer tires, as they tend to age out rather than wear out and sitting does a tire no good.

Shameless plug for Sam's Club. They will repair any flat tire for a member including re-balance free, even if they didn't sell the tire. Caveat , tire must be repairable , not over x number of years old, and they will not repair a tire that has had a previous flat repair.

Must work out as a sales tool, with the member buying on or more tires anyway.

The last time I had to pay for a flat repair at a Goodyear Dealer, it was $39 to put in a patch, and re-balance. An ok price considering a proper patch and re-balance takes about 20 minutes of labor.

I will only use a plug in an emergency , due to the risk of ply separation at the plug site

Impressive and a good reminder to ask the age of the tire being installed when purchased. Especially important for trailer tires, as they tend to age out rather than wear out and sitting does a tire no good.

I often toyed with the idea of removing and storing trailer and motor-home tires/wheels in low pressure gas tight bags filled with nitrogen, to stave off deterioration of oxygen , ozone and sunlight.

Would be a PITA , jack stands, and pulling the wheels, but maybe worth it if doubling the life ( in years). Would also force a true exterior inspection of the tires before bolting back on for the vacation season

I will only use a plug in an emergency , due to the risk of ply separation at the plug site

I suppose there is a risk, but I have plugged 20 tires in the last 10 years and never had an issue. I'm not about to plug one near the sidewall, though.

Discount Tire told me they would not rotate the tires anymore because according to the date on the tires they were over 10 years old and they were not allowed to touch tires in excess of 10 years old.

As for this situation, I am glad it worked out for you in the end and Discount did the right thing. However, the fact that they refused to rotate your tires would have pissed me off. It's not like they would have been liable for your next blowout because you chose to rotate your tires. What kind of nanny state are we living in?

Walmart rubbed me the wrong way once, so now I mount and balance my own (when I feel like it). And do simple alignments, too. Stay off the sidewalks around central florida.....

I suppose there is a risk, but I have plugged 20 tires in the last 10 years and never had an issue. I'm not about to plug one near the sidewall, though.

As for this situation, I am glad it worked out for you in the end and Discount did the right thing. However, the fact that they refused to rotate your tires would have pissed me off. It's not like they would have been liable for your next blowout because you chose to rotate your tires. What kind of nanny state are we living in?

Walmart rubbed me the wrong way once, so now I mount and balance my own (when I feel like it). And do simple alignments, too. Stay off the sidewalks around central florida.....

I would not put it past a lawyer to sue Discount if one of the tires blew out and someone was killed... stranger things have happened.... remember the McDonalds coffee the old lady put between her legs:confused:

I suppose there is a risk, but I have plugged 20 tires in the last 10 years and never had an issue. I'm not about to plug one near the sidewall, though......

In my young and broke days, I'm sure I plugged at least a dozen tires, only had one fail and become from ply separation, at least that I knew of, because the danger can be hidden.

My dad had a " Professional" ( Local general auto repair shop who does not sell tires ) repair a nail hole with a plug. The tire blew out at high speed, and dad nearly had a rollover. Blowouts on the rear can be much more dangerous than on the front. That one blowout is one too many.

I know I'm drifting from the op subject, Link for rubber mfg.assoc. info on tire repair http://www.rma.org/wp-content/uploads/prp_wallchart1111.pdf

Last edited:
Shameless plug for Sam's Club. They will repair any flat tire for a member including re-balance free, even if they didn't sell the tire. Caveat , tire must be repairable , not over x number of years old, and they will not repair a tire that has had a previous flat repair...

The last time I had to pay for a flat repair at a Goodyear Dealer, it was $39 to put in a patch, and re-balance. An ok price considering a proper patch and re-balance takes about 20 minutes of labor...

I once brought in a loose tire to Costco and they fixed it free even though they recognized that they did not sell it.

In the RV trip to Banff a few years ago, I had a puncture tire of my toad fixed at a Canadian Tire store (a large and well-known Canadian chain). The cost: US$34.23 (just looked up on Quicken). Man, I was shocked!

Back
Top Bottom