Camper Shells: Educate Me

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Daughter Jenny is moving to Denver, so we'll probably drive out there next summer.

I had the idea that it would be fun to put a camper shell on the back of our Toyota Tacoma, and drive out in that. I realize that my enthusiasm for this is idea is the fun of building a cozy and comfortable bed + cupboards, etc. Something like this:

img_1406086_0_3d353df9fc70a695f687127b2d15eeb1.jpg

or this:

truckincampingmode_b0bbf87d5ec65e891497d0f07d5f2c64.jpg

So tell me what I should look for in a camper shell. Is it legal to sleep back there when someone else is driving?

And I know that some of you are saying "Al, I thought you gave up on camping!"

True, and we haven't camped for years (here's why). But maybe it would be a little better with the camper shell idea?

Be careful about sleeping back there when driving!

I still remember the story published more than 10 years ago of a couple letting 3 or 4 grandchildren sleeping back there. Upon arrival, they found all of the kids dead from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Last edited:
I have a camper shell on my F-150 8' bed pickup. In California the truck can then be registered as a non-commercial 'car' (lower fee).
Instead of modifying the shell for camping, I built a small custom trailer that opens to the front and the back for easy access. I carry my bikes + camping gear in the trailer and sleep in the padded/carpeted truck bed on 1 1/2" thermarest mattresses. Very comfy. DW and I have traveled like this for months at a time. :)
This setup leaves the truck in a more useful state when I am not using it for travel.

In addition to the carbon monoxide risk some states do make it illegal to ride in the back of a pickup, camper shell or not. There is good reason for that. Automotive engineers have put much effort into protecting the passengers. The back of a pickup is for cargo, not people.

In an accident they will not fare well.

.......... Automotive engineers have put much effort into protecting the passengers...........

That's right and here is an example, the infamous Subaru Brat.

Attachments

• brat.jpg
    brat.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 182
  • brat2.jpg
    brat2.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
That's right and here is an example, the infamous Subaru Brat.
Fun fact: The two extra seats in the back were put there so Subaru could avoid the 25% tariff on importation of light trucks. The two extra seats made it a "passenger vehicle".

Al, I'm not sure sleeping back there while someone else was driving would be great from a safety perspective. Once stopped, it would probably be more comfortable than a tent, but still no toilet, no place to make a sandwich, very little headroom, etc. It might be okay for a night, but on night two I'd want to sleep in a real bed, take a shower, etc.

If you want a project, how about a little teardrop trailer? Very cool. Little air resistance so they tow like a dream, and light enough so a big truck isn't needed to pull it. There are several good web sites on them, and many designs make use of a cheap Harbor Freight flat-bed trailer as the main chassis, you just add the rest. Storage in the back (bikes?) as well as a small camp stove, camp sink, and icechest. Customize as you see fit--maybe fit a removable awning over the door, a solar panel on top to power lights, a small fan, to keep a computer charged up, etc. Some have a little outside shower (with curtain, heat the water with the camp stove) and a port-a-potty. This would be years of fun building/tinkering.

th

Last edited:
Al, I would not plan on sleeping in the back while in motion. Almost certainly illegal and definitely deadly in a crash.

There are oh-so-many ways to do this, from completely minimalist to the full monty. I am lazy, so I have a travel trailer (all the amenities except privacy for a family of 4 plus 2 dogs in a 16 by 7 foot box), but lots of people have done this sort of thing in a truck cap, econoline van and even minivans. Google is definitely your friend. Google "vandwellers" for lots of ideas and examples. The people here are (to put it bluntly) batshit crazy, but this dude did the minimalist back of the truck thing pretty well: Jobless and living in my truck... (with Pics))

We did two pickup remodels for dogs to travel with us. Mainly plywood covered with carpet remodeling. Those backs with their wheel well curves are not designed to be thermally or acoustically insulated. It is a big problem keeping dogs from turning into popsicles when traveling in winter weather. Almost impossible to get any heat back there. The shells are very poor insulators, too. Hard to keep cool in the summer.
Now that we are older and softer, we caved and let the dogs in the cab with us.

Now that we are older and softer, we caved and let the dogs in the cab with us.

Heh, the Plott hound sits up front between DW and I and the beagle has the misfortune of sitting in the back between the kids. Makes things kind of hairy, but its fun.

T-Al, considering that you've been willing to loosen the purse strings lately, I have 3 words for you:

FOUR ... STAR... HOTELS.

Lena will thank you. And actually, it would probably be cheaper anyhow.

And a +1000 to the others on not riding back there. Considering what a conservative, thoughtful guy you are, I'm always amazed at the risks you seem willing to take when it comes to vehicles.

I read your blog, and that is exactly why I don't do that type of camping (and can't understand why others do, but to each their own). I don't think a camper shell will provide much protection from the issues you raised there.

-ERD50

Our kids use a Casita Camper pulled behind their Tacoma. They had a modified Honda Element with a pop-up camper. They found that it was too much of a hassle to break camp when they wanted to go to the store or other site seeing. I think they paid about $11,000. You can buy a lot of Motel 6 for that, but then they like the camping lifestyle.

post-1975-1160710375_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
T-Al, considering that you've been willing to loosen the purse strings lately, I have 3 words for you:

FOUR ... STAR... HOTELS.

Lena will thank you. And actually, it would probably be cheaper anyhow.

-ERD50

I would agree but maybe three star hotels at four star Al would go in shock . Seriously Al , You are 60 .This kind of camping was fun at twenty or maybe thirty but you are 60 .This was the year you were going to go crazy because of your health care savings . So go for it ! Lena deserves to have a nice room at night after traveling .Think of another project !

Our kids use a Casita Camper pulled behind their Tacoma. They had a modified Honda Element with a pop-up camper. They found that it was too much of a hassle to break camp when they wanted to go to the store or other site seeing. I think they paid about $11,000. You can buy a lot of Motel 6 for that, but then they like the camping lifestyle.
There's no Motel 6 in Yellowstone Park, or any National Park for that matter.

I would think that a good truck camper might be a better alternative. You could probably pick up a good used one on craigslist.

The high-end truck camper is really nice and rivals the smaller motorhome in comfort. It can run more than $10K used.

However, it is too heavy for a Tacoma, and some would need a 1-ton truck with rear dually wheels.

Last edited:
Another good alternative would be to rehab houses for wages or profit, and buy plane tickets when you want to visit DD.

You think of the strangest things.

Ha

I say go for it. It would be a fun project and you won't spend much. Not being able to stand up is a bit of a hassle, which is the major downside of the tear drop trailers. Many small trailer owners (like the Casita shown above) use a 10x10 screened canopy to augment the living space. You can pick one up for a little over $150.

Definitely wouldn't ride back there.

I am 6'2" and can stand sup in DS's Casita. Have to watch my head going in and outt but inside it is fine. His is a Casita 16. I think

I am 6'2" and can stand sup in DS's Casita. Have to watch my head going in and outt but inside it is fine. His is a Casita 16. I think
Yes, most fiberglass camper trailers are near or over 6 feet inside. Only an issue in tear drops.

Google "vandwellers" for lots of ideas and examples. The people here are (to put it bluntly) batshit crazy, but this dude did the minimalist back of the truck thing pretty well: Jobless and living in my truck... (with Pics))

I gotta admit, I love reading these things! I especially like seeing the school bus conversions, in their various forms. I'd never full-time in anything like that, but I can appreciate the lifestyle. And that these dudes are NEVER getting a date. :D

OK, you killjoys have talked me out of it. I realize that the idea was influenced too much by the fun of building a clever and cozy interior. So we'll just fly there and rent a car and bikes like normal people.

I would like to point out that camping (apart from the annoyances mentioned above), is not a hardship. Hotels are also nice, but a good camping experience can be just as good. A nice steak over a wood fire, sitting under the stars by the embers, waking up in a cozy sleeping bag, these things aren't done just to save money. Everyone is different, of course.

And Lena loves camping -- she's the one that wants to do it again, not me. I joke about her preferring a hotel, but that's not quite accurate.

Even the most humble of campgrounds can have 5-star views when you wake up for your morning coffee, unlike some 5-star hotels (if you can even find a hotel in the boonies). Personally, I don't like towing trailers or finding a place to store them. I once had a camper shell over my truck bed which I slept in- worked great, and should work for your purpose. My main issue was headroom when I sat up so I recommend your interior platform be as short as possible. I built a simple wooden table from a sheet of 1" plywood, with approximately 12" legs. I bought some of those "under the bed" clear storage tubs with wheels and put my clothes and cooking essentials in them, then slid them under the table. Coleman has a magnetic, battery-operated tent light ($10 at Amazon.com) - stick that to the interior of your metal shell for light. I installed a hitch and installed a hitch-mounted cargo carrier (saw one for sale at Home Depot for about $50) but they have a variety of options at Amazon. Into the hitch cargo went my ice chest, water jug and other bulky items that I was going to have to haul out at the campsite anyway- that way I could leave my bed laid out all the time, without other stuff laying on top of it getting it dirty. Mattress considerations: foam futon mattresses don't need to be blown up, don't puncture and are usually (IMHO) more comfy (check out Sleep Master tri-fold comfort mat, or Lucid foam mattress sofa style). You can find styles that are 'raw', flat foam, or 4" thick cloth-covered foam that will fold into thirds (these are easier to store later and use for guest beds). Be aware that the foam will smell for a week or two, so get it ahead of time. Inflatable mattresses, on the other hand, can be rolled up to take less storage space when needed but make sure you get a good quality one that won't lose air every night. I do a lot of camping and splurged and bought a Thermarest NeoAir Dreamtime pad, size XL (I'm 6' tall)- it is insulated so the cold does not come up below you. It seemed to offer the best of both worlds although I make sure to have a patch kit for it, just in case.

Back
Top Bottom