Time Zone Fun

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I’m traveling and stopped at a relative’s house. The “fun” part is that this house must be right on the time zone line. My watch and phone are bouncing back and forth from EST to Central time. I take medication at certain times during the day and the schedule is set up on my watch. As I walk around the house, my watch keeps notifying me of the time zone change and the need to adjust my medication schedule. Work up this morning and DW’s phone said 6:30am and my phone said 7:30am. Wasn’t sure if I had to get up for my 8am meds or if a had another hour to sleep. Googled EST (my home time zone) to clarify. This would drive me crazy if I lived here.

That's funny! I wonder if any of your relative's devices allow a default or choice of a time zone?

If I lived there and needed a specific schedule for medications, I probably would manually set the time zone on a device that has an auto time zone feature.

I've known a few people who lived close to a time zone edge. They lived in one time zone and worked in another. Apparently, you just get used to it. But I think having my smartphone and/or digital watch auto-adjust constantly would drive me up the wall. I would set a time zone and adjust accordingly. That's what these people did.

Last edited:
I had a friend who lived about 50 feet from a state line/time zone border, and everyone in his little town had two clocks to look at.

I think for phones it would probably be a matter of which cell phone tower is closer, and your relative must have two of them with strong enough signals, one in each time zone. If you're in the Apple world, you can go into Settings/General/Date & Time, and turn off the "Set Automatically" toggle.

Smart GPS or cells? They really must be on the line by a matter of just a few "feet".

So if I was using such technology to calculate the speed of my vehicle driving down the highway east to west, what would my be my calculated speed? Really fast, really slow or actual? :)

That would be "fun" to see/know.

Last edited:
My Samsung A50's on Verizon can't follow time zone changes when driving across country. I can be hundreds of miles and days later into a new time zone and the phone will still show home time. I have to go in an manually set a time zone by finding the nearest city big enough to make their list in the pull down box.

I had a friend who lived about 50 feet from a state line/time zone border, and everyone in his little town had two clocks to look at.

I think for phones it would probably be a matter of which cell phone tower is closer, and your relative must have two of them with strong enough signals, one in each time zone. If you're in the Apple world, you can go into Settings/General/Date & Time, and turn off the "Set Automatically" toggle.

Thanks. I turned off automatic and that will help a lot for the few days I’m here.

... I think for phones it would probably be a matter of which cell phone tower is closer, and your relative must have two of them with strong enough signals, one in each time zone. If you're in the Apple world, you can go into Settings/General/Date & Time, and turn off the "Set Automatically" toggle.
This

Back
Top Bottom