Can't believe it was 50 years ago!

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The memory of watching Ed Sullivan that night could not be more vivid, like it happened yesterday.

I Want To Hold Your Hand at Ed Sullivan Show - YouTube

Beatles-Arrive-In-America.jpg

Last edited:
I was just 9 years old, but I remember very clearly the Beatles 1st appearance on Ed Sullivan. By chance, we were visiting my Aunt & Uncle, and my two cousins were girls, in their mid-teens at the time. I knew nothing about the Beatles, but they knew everything about them.

So this is exactly is how I remember The Beatles appearance:

-ERD50

Attachments

• beatles-ed-sullivan-b.jpg
    beatles-ed-sullivan-b.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 9
I can still remember that Ed Sullivan show . I was at my best friend's house and we watched it on a small black & white TV. .

I was 11 and didn't have a clue. My mom said the Beatles would be on Ed Sullivan and until I saw them I was expecting to see some bugs doing tricks or something...no, seriously!

I was 15. Medicare and half century old rock and roll memories. Truly a senior citizen.

My sister was talking about this today. She was 9 and remembers it well. {I was 3 and don't} She said my Daddy said, "they are just a bunch of beatniks." It was before the word hippie was coined.

Larro

This might be worth a watch, CBS is airing a grammy salute tonight. Looks to be interviews, clips, song covers by various artists

The Beatles 50th Anniversary - GRAMMYS: The Night That Changed America - CBS.com

Absolutely fabulous! What a great show they put together. It's hard to believe but Paul and Ringo have still "got it", after all these years and their performances were pretty amazing, I thought. Just goes to show you, it's the heart more than the once youthful voice that comes through when they sing. The rest of the show was beyond excellent as well.

I remember seeing them as well. I was supposed to be doing homework, but my parents were out and I knew it was a show I would always remember.... ;)

I loved the show tonight. It must have been amazing for the people who were there.

I was 10 yrs old when they came, but had no memory of the show. Then it hit me, that was doing the time I was in an orphanage. I can't remember any TVs there. Oh well, I have loved the Beatles for many years now.

It was a great show. I'll take what Ringo is having at 73 wow. He still is a great drummer and they are amazing showman. I guess I'll forgive CBS for running all the ads for us old folks drugs... :)

My mom took the other kids to see the Beatles at Shea (I was judged too young :( ). I wasn't happy, but it cemented me thinking she was a cool lady.

I did get to see George and Ringo on the "Dark Horse" tour at The Stadium several years later.

I was 11 and didn't have a clue. My mom said the Beatles would be on Ed Sullivan and until I saw them I was expecting to see some bugs doing tricks or something...no, seriously!

I remember the Friday before that Ed Sullivan show. I was in 5th grade, and kids in the lunch room were talking about watching the "beetles." I asked them about why bugs would be on TV.

Of course they "brought me up to speed," and the whole world changed after that: memorizing words to their LP's at girlfriend sleepovers, playing "Yesterday" and "Michelle" 45's till they wore out, playing pool while singing along to "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts' Club Band."

John Lennon got me started on poetry, which led to Simon and Garfunkel, James Taylor, Joni Mitchell...........and an English major.

(Though I was already a bookworm.......which might be why I thought we'd be watching bugs on TV!)

:blush::LOL:

Seeing them for the first time on TV started another activity for my friends and I (pre-teen). Playing "air guitar", singing along, and imagining you were in the band (think Tom Cruise in Risky Business). My dad later bought me a real guitar but it was used only as a prop. I couldn't imagine doing that to any of the previous performers - Elvis, Frankie Avalon, etc. Oh wait, maybe Chuck Berry? Anyone else have an imaginary group?

I wasn't born until later in that year, so I missed the invasion. I read that back in the day when they were playing the stadium concerts, they would whip through a dozen or so songs and be done in less than an hour. I think I would have felt I got ripped off. Last year when I went to a McCartney concert he played 3 hours without an intermission or warm up band.

I remember watching them on Ed Sullivan. I was almost 9 and my sister and I sat on the floor in front of the tv to watch it. Her 12th birthday was coming up in April and later my Mom asked me if she thought my sister would like a Beatles album for her birthday. Of course I said YES! We shared a room and a record player so that was the start of our music collection.

I was watching the Olympics last night and forgot the Beatles thing was on until the 2nd half. I wish I would have seen the whole thing as I really enjoyed the part I saw.

I was 12 and remember every detail of the Ed Sullivan show. Paul was the cute one, John the smart one, George the quiet one and Ringo the funny one. I loved them then and still do. I think they still look and perform great.
I am still sad that John and George are gone.

Jo Ann

Ringo still looked pretty spry, Paul looked like age was catching up with him a little.

We watched the show last night, and for sure, it brought back memories... We were in our late 20's, with three kids, living in Falmouth MA, and working about 90 hours a week... Sunday night was the quiet time... Ed Sullivan came on TV at 8 PM, and the hype was fantastic... As I recall, the music albums hadn't been released yet and the only music that we could hear up until that time, was some censor garbled previews that were broadcast on WBZ radio in Boston...
Our oldest kids were 4 and 5, and we let them stay up to see the long haired crazies from England play and sing music that was "different" to say the least. (We grew up with the Hit Parade... Snooky Lanson, Dorothy Collins and Gisele MacKenzie - and Dick Clark's American Bandstand.)

I think my reaction at the time was... "It'll never last". :facepalm:
It's why I don't invest in the stock market.

Those two younger fellows, Ringo and Paul, did themselves proud... A great show!

Last edited:
My son re-tweeted this because I told him I missed most of the show -

Back by popular demand! CBS is re-broadcasting THE BEATLES: THE NIGHT THAT CHANGED AMERICA THIS WEDNESDAY Feb 12 at 8:30 EST / 7:30 Central

If you are setting up a DVR it runs 2.5 hrs, 8:30 to 11:00 PM Eastern Time.

Reactions: W2R
Here's a funny perspective, opinions given 50 years ago about the Fab 4 around the time of their first US appearance. Cherry picked, but still enjoyable.

What the critics wrote about the Beatles in 1964 - latimes.com
Fun read, reinforcing once again the first stage of...

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

My Dad was sure The Beatles would be lucky to even get their "15 minutes of fame."

Last edited:
My son re-tweeted this because I told him I missed most of the show - Back by popular demand! CBS is re-broadcasting THE BEATLES: THE NIGHT THAT CHANGED AMERICA THIS WEDNESDAY Feb 12 at 8:30 EST / 7:30 Central If you are setting up a DVR it runs 2.5 hrs, 8:30 to 11:00 PM Eastern Time.

I bet Katy Perry is just all types excited that the show is going to be rebroadcast. It will give even more people a chance to lambast her performance.

Back
Top Bottom