Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-11-2009, 01:13 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

You don't need surveillance equipment--just stick a few with thefedsignal picture on them near your driveway and that should take care of it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Don't all cars now have the kind of gas caps that only release from inside the car?
Yeah, I was thinkin' the same thing too. I reckon you and I are just high falootin' LBYMer's.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:45 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

What is this "gas cap" of which you speak and how would it lock? Does everyone else not just shove a shred of old oily rag into the whole on the side of your car where you siphon gas into? Now that's REAL LBYM.

My oily rag plug even comes with state of the art evaporative VOC recapture equipment.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I would just buy two things:

1)A Lifetime NRA Member Sticker

2)An FBI or DEA hat

Put the NRA sticker on the car and leave the hat on the front seat

Problem solved.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Someone went through my car the other day. They didn't take anything. In fact they left me a $20, and a hastily scribbled note that said "Please accept this small amount of money as a donation to help you buy a better car stereo and some more electronics. I was going to steal things from your car and buy dope with the proceeds of fencing your stuff, but I now realize you need your stuff more than I need dope." Probably one of the roving bands of unemployed English PhD's scrapping for a buck...
Like the story of a guy who lives in a high crime area, and puts a note on his dashboard saying "I don't have a stereo." The next day he finds his window smashed and a new note on the dashboard that says "Get one!"
Old 02-11-2009, 06:21 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
When I lived out in Washington State some a-holes took a crowbar, wedged it between the roofline of my car and the top of the door and pryed the top of the cardoor back until they had enough room to put their arm in and unlock the door from the inside. That was nice.
Way too much work. I used to carry what car burglars call Ninja Rocks. It's amazing what you can learn from a crack head.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

My wife has proven that leaving a purse on the passenger front seat acts as an effective bait. First time car was parked in an alley behind the restaurant she worked at with the doors unlocked, purse gone no damage to vehicle. Second time was in our driveway with doors locked overnight.
Did you guys know if someone picks up a boulder from your landscaping and throws it through the window it won't set off the car alarm like tugging on the door handle would?
Old 02-11-2009, 07:10 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

In my youth I had a Karmann Ghia convertible that I unfortunately had to park on the street. I realized that any idiot with a jack knife could break in, so I never locked it and never left anything of value in it.

Sure enough, one day I found someone had sliced the top and reached in to find an unlocked door.

I'm pretty sure it was a local kid that walked by the house everyday. Hope he is in jail by now.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:34 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey thefed - I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe you should consider it a good heads up. They probably are just kids, obviously they're not "true" thieves or they'd've taken the credit cards too. But getting away with cash might make them more confident to take more or go further and further, trying to get away with more and more.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:32 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry to hear of the intrusion. 10 cameras and two dvrs that ftp offsite and send emails on scene changes. Feel like a cross between Tony Montana and Joe Horn from TX. But hope i don't end up like Roger Barnett (Washington Times - 16 illegals sue Arizona rancher)
Old 02-11-2009, 10:27 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphx View Post
Sorry to hear of the intrusion. 10 cameras and two dvrs that ftp offsite and send emails on scene changes. Feel like a cross between Tony Montana and Joe Horn from TX. But hope i don't end up like Roger Barnett (Washington Times - 16 illegals sue Arizona rancher)
This is a great idea - the illegals sue get together and say - "Hey, lets go onto this guys land. When he stops us we accuse him of something and sue him. We then get his land. Once we get the land, we live there and let our friends cross into the USA, maybe set up a little camp ground and make a little money. How many are in?"
Old 02-12-2009, 06:25 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

When my Jeep got broken in to last year and absolutely NOTHING was taken, not even the $10-$15 in change laying in the cup holder, the police told me the intruders are looking for 2 things: guns and credit card receipts! Never thought about that!

MIke
Old 02-12-2009, 10:45 AM   #33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
When my Jeep got broken in to last year and absolutely NOTHING was taken, not even the $10-$15 in change laying in the cup holder, the police told me the intruders are looking for 2 things: guns and credit card receipts! Never thought about that!

MIke

Who leaves a gun in their car?
Old 02-12-2009, 10:59 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Who leaves a gun in their car?
It's funny that you would mention that. I am part of a neighborhood watch program in my community and about 2 months ago I got an e-mail informing me that a police officer in our community had his personal revolver stolen out of his car sometime in the middle of the night!

Mike
Old 02-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The police around here say that GPS systems are the new car radios for crackheads.