Lost ID & TSA experience

Surewhitey

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Never had to research this, but I personally experienced it yesterday. So driving back to the airport (LAX) from Escondido (resort) we got a call just as we were arriving at the airport. I left my sunglasses and wallet 2.5 hrs away. As I sweat bullets & on hold for an estimated 45 minutes, I just went to the airport and pleaded my case to TSA.

Basically went to the normal checkpoint (not terribly busy probably helping my case) & I had absolutely no physical evidence for ID and they are not able to use anything digital. They then had me fill out a form, called the CIA (for drama) and I had to answer the questions accurately and tested backpack and stuff with the bomb swabs.

All in all, it was scarily easy and took an extra 15 minutes. Maybe I should put something in the backpack for ID now?

Never had to research this, but I personally experienced it yesterday. So driving back to the airport (LAX) from Escondido (resort) we got a call just as we were arriving at the airport. I left my sunglasses and wallet 2.5 hrs away. As I sweat bullets & on hold for an estimated 45 minutes, I just went to the airport and pleaded my case to TSA.

Basically went to the normal checkpoint (not terribly busy probably helping my case) & I had absolutely no physical evidence for ID and they are not able to use anything digital. They then had me fill out a form, called the CIA (for drama) and I had to answer the questions accurately and tested backpack and stuff with the bomb swabs.

All in all, it was scarily easy and took an extra 15 minutes. Maybe I should put something in the backpack for ID now?

Take a picture of your ID with your phone.

+1 I have my passport in my phone. I also have a digital copy of my drivers license.

I also carry a paper copy of my passport when traveling abroad. I heard awhile ago if you show up at a US Embassy, the paper copy helps expedite the process, but not sure that holds true.

+1 I have my passport in my phone. I also have a digital copy of my drivers license.

I also carry a paper copy of my passport when traveling abroad. I heard awhile ago if you show up at a US Embassy, the paper copy helps expedite the process, but not sure that holds true.

It has all the relevant numbers and dates as well as your photo.

They said nothing digital, including pictures. They said anything paper with name / address as it can't be digitally changed. I'm sure there are loopholes. The only thing that I had was a prescription bottle, but no address on it.

I have my app / insurance card, but was a no go too...not to mention a very unique last name...11 letter'd German name.

Last edited:
They said nothing digital, including pictures. They said anything paper with name / address as it can't be digitally changed. I'm sure there are loopholes. The only thing that I had was a prescription bottle, but no address on it.

I have my app / insurance card, but was a no go too...

Sort of silly, as I could take a digital photo of something, alter it, then print it. Now I have a paper copy :facepalm:

Our (DW's) experience 3 or 4 years ago was, I believe, that a printout of a photo of her passport, along with a hard copy credit card (name, but no address) was sufficient. I'm pretty sure this was flying out of Seattle....

due to weather cancellations, she had the joy of doing it on three consecutive days. Made her even more pleased with pre-check thereafter!

They appear to deal with this on a daily basis, so as you indicate, it wasn't as bad as one would fear.

I have my app / insurance card, but was a no go too...not to mention a very unique last name...11 letter'd German name.

Interesting the state of Colorado accepts digital IDs, but an exclusion is TSA. I wonder if/when that will change.
https://mycolorado.gov/colorado-digital-id

Interesting the state of Colorado accepts digital IDs, but an exclusion is TSA. I wonder if/when that will change.
https://mycolorado.gov/colorado-digital-id

I don't think you'll see it until it becomes common. Last I read, there were 30 states working on implementing digital IDs like driver's licenses, but only a handful have completed the process so far.

We have 4 “real” IDs accepted by TSA: TXDL, passport, passport card, and the global entry card. Domestic flights we normally only carry our driver license, but it might be worth with carrying a passport card or global entry card as well, kept separate, in case of a problem.

We have 4 “real” IDs accepted by TSA: TXDL, passport, passport card, and the global entry card. Domestic flights we normally only carry our driver license, but it might be worth with carrying a passport card or global entry card as well, kept separate, in case of a problem.

Military ID card is also accepted as a Real ID.

But as to "digital" IDs, my state has been working on making the driver's license available in the Apple Wallet app for several years now, along with a handful of others, but it's not ready yet. Only Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, and Maryland have done it so far.

I keep an old expired drivers license in the buttoned top pocket of the jacket I always wear for flights.

It's a handy jacket in that it has a big interior pocket for my phone and a few other things, and it keeps me warm as most flights are super cold at some point. Yes even if I'm flying out of Florida in July.

I figure while the license is expired, that just means it's not valid for driving or most official purposes, but in a pinch like the OP experienced, it's a whole lot better than nothing.

Sort of silly, as I could take a digital photo of something, alter it, then print it. Now I have a paper copy :facepalm:

Totally agree with this statement, but I definitely didn't want to debate it with the key keeper. I'm sure he could have drug his feet if I was less than nice (begging) for his help.

Regarding the credit card comment, I had zero since it was my complete wallet. Thankfully I had G-pay on my phone for a meal @ the airport.

Military ID card is also accepted as a Real ID.

But as to "digital" IDs, my state has been working on making the driver's license available in the Apple Wallet app for several years now, along with a handful of others, but it's not ready yet. Only Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, and Maryland have done it so far.

We have them in California now too. One of the selling points is that "you can use them at the airport", but reality is that you can only use them at SFO and LAX. If you happen to live near another airport, like I do, you still need the physical license or other ID.

+1 on a photo on the phone, but I've always kept a paper copy in my luggage as well.

I keep an old expired drivers license in the buttoned top pocket of the jacket I always wear for flights.

It's a handy jacket in that it has a big interior pocket for my phone and a few other things, and it keeps me warm as most flights are super cold at some point. Yes even if I'm flying out of Florida in July.

I figure while the license is expired, that just means it's not valid for driving or most official purposes, but in a pinch like the OP experienced, it's a whole lot better than nothing.
In Texas the law requires you destroy your old driver license when you get a newly issued license.

Last edited:
In Texas the law requires you destroy your expired driver license.

Oh my. I still have my license from grad school there. So, I’m a lawbreaker in my alma mater state?

Oh my. I still have my license from grad school there. So, I’m a lawbreaker in my alma mater state?
Maybe if you don’t also have a current TX DL it doesn’t matter. The language says something about multiple.

In Texas the law requires you destroy your old driver license when you get a newly issued license.

In Florida they just clip off a corner

In Florida they just clip off a corner

They clip the corner at the TX DMV when you renew and give you a receipt to keep with it as a temporary, but you are still supposed to destroy it when you receive you the new one in the mail.

A good tip for that is what DH and I do. We carry "extra" ID, but he carries mine and I carry his. Then it's in a wallet or a purse.

I always put a copy of my passport in my luggage.

Back
Top Bottom