Carbon Trading

CCdaCE

Full time employment: Posting here.
I ran across this article regarding carbon trading. I've noticed lots of talk on it, but no concrete details, discussion or whatever as far as how it would actually work. I'm assuming portions of carbon trading could be "relatively complicated". On the level of options/puts/derivatives, etc. But, the actual carbon trading is probably pretty simple. Investment banks set a ton of CO2 to be worth $6 or whatever. Then, after that, the market decides.

This article at cbsmarketwatch.com had a few interesting tidbits.

"There's a $3 trillion market sitting out there," Fusaro said.
(In CO2 trading)

Starting later this year, U.S. consumers will be offered an affinity credit card that sets aside 1% of spending for curbing greenhouse gas emissions,
In a test launch in the Netherlands, the card drew three times the spending level of other credit cards, she said.

In this other article referenced from the first one, has more interesting tidbits.

Talk about green - experts predict that carbon trading in the U.S. would surpass the $25 billion market in Europe and then mushroom into a derivatives market with a much greater value.

The government would assign emission allowances for the roughly 6.5 billion tons of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases produced in the U.S. each year.

Anyone else follow this item for entertainment or other value?

Back
Top Bottom