Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
If it does come to him definitely needing a sample, there is some special litter that he should have for you to use that "holds" the liquid in it so they can test it. My sister has used it before, but I'm not sure of the name. Her vet gave it to her.
When my vet had difficulty getting urine samples from one of my cats, she used a product called Nosorb. It is like little pellets, or beads, and it does not absorb the urine, so the vet was able to get a sample.

Good luck, and I hope the pills do the trick.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
He tried to get a sample when we were in there.... but the cat did not cooperate... he said we should get one, but when I asked if it would make a difference, he seemed to indicate it would not if she had an infection... giving her the meds did not seem to be bad if she did not... it was my decision to go the way we are....

We will try this and see what happens... so far, she seems to be back to the litter box as we have her there when we are not with her.... so we still would not have a sample for him to check...
My former vet preferred to extract the urine rather than have me bring in a sample due to potential contamination of my sample. I didn't like the idea at first and resisted, but gave in after a few times.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
My former vet preferred to extract the urine rather than have me bring in a sample due to potential contamination of my sample. I didn't like the idea at first and resisted, but gave in after a few times.

And how did he extract I saw him squeezing the cat and thought that is what he was trying to do.....
Old 07-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
And how did he extract I saw him squeezing the cat and thought that is what he was trying to do.....
Like blood...they put a needle into the bladder and voila, they have uncontaminated urine. There must be some pee in the bladder, of course.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Like blood...they put a needle into the bladder and voila, they have uncontaminated urine. There must be some pee in the bladder, of course.
Yup. My vet does this. Not painful for the cat and not expensive for me.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Yup. My vet does this. Not painful for the cat and not expensive for me.

Interesting..... maybe I do not have the best vet....

He was recommended by my DS who used him for over 20 years...
Old 07-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #47

Texas, many older vets, like older docs, tend to keep doing what they are doing, rather than newer techniques or treatments. My longtime vet is in his 70s now, but he's always added younger associates and I felt that kept his practice fresher than it might have been otherwise.
However, two of his former associates just opened up their own practice and I've moved with them, because I feel like the older vet's practice has become somewhat of a revolving door for younger associates.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Another observation... ...over the years, our girls had a few infections, but I don't recall less than 10 or 14 days of antibiotics. More recently, one of our girls was put on antibiotics for 'just in case' (can't find reason for occasional blood in stool) and it was for 10 days.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Another observation... ...over the years, our girls had a few infections, but I don't recall less than 10 or 14 days of antibiotics. More recently, one of our girls was put on antibiotics for 'just in case' (can't find reason for occasional blood in stool) and it was for 10 days.
I think I misspoke earlier in the thread.... he did not give me 5 days of medication, but 14 days.... he said we should see results in 5 days...

Now that my wife and kids have left for a vacation, I am the lucky one who has to give her the pills without any help... it does NOT look good for me...

But, she does seem to have recovered and is now going to the litter box... so the results so far look promising...
Old 07-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think I misspoke earlier in the thread.... he did not give me 5 days of medication, but 14 days.... he said we should see results in 5 days...

Now that my wife and kids have left for a vacation, I am the lucky one who has to give her the pills without any help... it does NOT look good for me...

But, she does seem to have recovered and is now going to the litter box... so the results so far look promising...
Hang in there baby. The wounds will heal quickly and, if necessary, you can borrow some of her antibiotics....;-)
Old 07-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

So glad she's doing better. Just remember if the wounds are too great, liquid/transdermal gel is a godsend . I couldn't live w/o it.

Another satisfied Nature Miracle's customer. I thought for sure we would have to rip out the carpet & subfloor after our sweetie passed w/6+ mos. of peeing in the hall. I really want to rip out our carpeting for hardwood flooring and thought this was the ticket, but no such luck . DH is resisting me.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Probably the cat figured out that it was less painful to use the litter box than to get a pill jammed down her throat

Just curious what step were you on the 20 steps to giving a cat a pill?

So happy for you that it appears to be a urinary tract problem.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Very glad to hear she is doing better.

It is difficult to pill a cat solo; I have the wounds to prove it. If you have a small oral syringe, sometimes it helps to shoot a little water down their throat after the pill, to help send the pill on its way.

This step should occur right after you have the local high school football team over to sit on the cat while you "gently press on the cat's jaws with one hand while quickly popping the pill down it's throat with the other hand." Books containing these actual how-to instructions always make me howl with laughter, and they never tell you which hand you should then use to drive yourself to the ER for your stitches after you try the maneuver described above.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
If you have a small oral syringe, sometimes it helps to shoot a little water down their throat after the pill, to help send the pill on its way.
Yep, definitely do this step as they pretend to swallow the pill and you'll find it somewhere later. Stroking her neck also helps to get the pill on its way. Speaking from experience.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:01 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Remind me why we love these difficult and ornery creatures so much ;-)
Old 07-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Thanks all for the support.... but the cat is too smart.... she has figured out that when I get the towel and wrap her up, she is about to have her mouth forcefully opened and a pill jammed down it.... even with nice stroking and some good hugs and kisses.... she does not like it... I was able to do it once myself, but the second time has not occurred....

I am lucky she was declawed on the front, but those back legs have a way of getting out of the towel...

I am going back to trying to put it in her food... with a full tablet for the whole day....

Our other cat is now here trying to get in on my typing... and walking on the printer... she is looking around to see what mischief she can do... OPPS, did not take long... she is rearranging the pics on the wall and is looking to see how she can jump to the top of the bookcase... LOL, which means she just fell behind the printer... but made it the second time....

Yes, I will have to see if we can get liquid if it comes back... for now, I will try a few more times tomorrow, but will give up if she fights as much as she did tonight...
Old 07-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Remind me why we love these difficult and ornery creatures so much ;-)
They remind us of ourselves or what we would like to be .
Old 07-04-2012, 12:00 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thanks all for the support.... but the cat is too smart.... she has figured out that when I get the towel and wrap her up, she is about to have her mouth forcefully opened and a pill jammed down it.... even with nice stroking and some good hugs and kisses.... she does not like it... I was able to do it once myself, but the second time has not occurred....

I am lucky she was declawed on the front, but those back legs have a way of getting out of the towel...

I am going back to trying to put it in her food... with a full tablet for the whole day....

Our other cat is now here trying to get in on my typing... and walking on the printer... she is looking around to see what mischief she can do... OPPS, did not take long... she is rearranging the pics on the wall and is looking to see how she can jump to the top of the bookcase... LOL, which means she just fell behind the printer... but made it the second time....

Yes, I will have to see if we can get liquid if it comes back... for now, I will try a few more times tomorrow, but will give up if she fights as much as she did tonight...
If your vet can't provide the liquid meds ask them for the name of a local pharmacy that compounds. I didn't know that some regular pharmacies provide meds for pets.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If your vet can't provide the liquid meds ask them for the name of a local pharmacy that compounds. I didn't know that some regular pharmacies provide meds for pets.
Clavimox Drops is a very common antibiotic available in liquid form. If the vet doesn't have it (and I can't imagine they don't) it can be ordered on line with a prescription from a variety of pet medical supply businesses. I've used 1 800 pet meds in the past.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Man... what an ordeal.... the cat will not cooperate at all... she fights worse than when we try to put her in a cage... I wonder what happened to her when she was young...

She also will not touch the food with the drugs.... heck, our other cat only sniffed and did not eat....

SOOOO, I am crushing them up, adding a few drops of water and smearing it on her coat.... she sniffs at it for awhile, but has started to clean herself in the last few minutes....

Next time, I hope to get shots!!! If not, then a dermal... I do not see getting liquid in her either... unless it is something they would like to drink.....