Help with a new cat

From this , it sounds like cat eats as much as it wants ?? (unlimited supply ?)

This to me is a NO NO. My Mog gets fed twice per day (so happens to be at 6:30 am and pm ... cat can tell the time !! . A Kitten (say - sub 6 or 9 months ?) I would probably feed 3 times in day ... BUT a set amount. It asks for more ? ...... Tough , wait till feeding time (message gets through quite quickly). Then there is of couse the issue of WHAT you feed it ... different topic.

I was feeding twice a day but shelter said that at her age 4 times a day... she was not getting unlimited when it started... about 4 or 5 oz a day... shelter said she needs 10 or more at her age so we are giving her more... it is tough at times as our other cats got a specific amount and could eat a little and leave and come back to finish... cannot leave wet food out with this one... we do have dry food out all the time..

Interesting. Our adopted kitty was really agitated the first time we took her to the vet—yeowling at level 11—and the vet draped a pheromone-laced blanket over her carrier. It did seem to help her calm down.

With a new cat it could be adjustment. Best to keep her contained to one room and limit time with other pets while she gets her bearings (this will also help limit the clean up for now).

I'd check with the foster and mirror the feeding she had with them before introducing other changes.

Perhaps vet visit again for lab work/blood work? Check kidneys/liver function, diabetes, heart worm, etc.
Is kitty losing weight?

Agree with prescription type food. In the past, one of our cats needed the urinary one, solved her problem of UTIs and peeing everywhere.

Nope, not losing weight... very active... she had all this done prior to use getting her so nothing that I know of...

I will try some of the other food options... but she was fine with wet Friskies at her foster...

We will also keep putting the well & good down her throat and hope it works... plus the fiber in her food...

Thanks for the suggestions and your experiences... she is a really smart kitty and cute... I do not want her to go through life with this...

Sorry to hear about your cats... We lost our 12 yo cat but still have our 11 yo... and the new kitty...

Did you ever get more kitties?

We were totally heart broken but I am also deathly allergic to cat dander. My allergist and PCP were so happy for me that they were gone. They gave me their condolences first and said, it was good for me not to have cats anymore. In fact, they were helping me with my health issues and they told me at each visit to "get rid of the cats". I just could not part with them. I still cry occassionally over having them be gone from our lives.

It may very well be a food allergy/intolerance. One of my cats had IBD and the classic line of Fancy Feast (wet), which has no soy or grain, worked wonders for him. He ate only that.

Back
Top Bottom