Join Early Retirement Today

Checkout charity - do you donate at the register?
Old 10-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
Administrator

Checkout charity - do you donate at the register?

Small rant alert:

Yesterday I was checking out at the grocery store. The little card swiper machine always prompts me to to donate to some thing or other and I always decline but after even after this (partway through the transaction) the cashier asked me if I'd make a donation to support breast cancer research.

I HATE these checkout charity solicitations! I responded politely, simply saying no thanks and the woman in line behind me interrupted and said - "I'll donate for both of us; I'm a survivor". Made me feel like a heal!

I'm not opposed to breast cancer research (or other causes), I give what I can to various organizations and donate time and services to others but I want to be able to make those choices after vetting the organization and yes, I admit, I take the tax break when ever possible. I wonder if the store soliciting these donations takes that break as well or takes a cut of the donations to manage the funds....

Do you donate when asked this way? Any thoughts about this? Am I the only person that thinks that corporate sanctioned register solicitations rot?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I never do it. Hate when they ask. And that woman was a jerk, her survivor status notwithstanding, to try to make you feel bad.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I go to the grocery store almost everyday and get asked to give every single time. It's getting ridiculous. I feel bad for the poor folks manning the registers and who are obligated by their employer to beg for money. No wonder they look so miserable.

But to answer your question, I might give once for a specific cause -if I care at all about it- but that's it. I'm not going to give every time I visit the damn grocery store.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

No, I never donate to any solicitation. I find the charities/causes I will support, I don't allow them to find me. Unless they have thin mints. I'm a sucker for thin mints.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #5

gozer articulated my position very well. Including the thin mints.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I never do it. Hate when they ask. And that woman was a jerk, her survivor status notwithstanding, to try to make you feel bad.
+1

If they record the donation on the sales receipt it would be yours for tax purposes. If it's not on the receipt, they are taking it for you.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
gozer articulated my position very well. Including the thin mints.
Especially the Thin Mints!

Like others, I hate these solicitations. I donate to the charities I choose, and I keep those to a minimum number, rather than spread it out and get two dozen different mailings. I hate the implication and coercion at the register. I'm always polite to the cashier, but one day I might just ask to talk to the manager.

Though I wouldn't have had the presence of mind, I would have liked to tell that lady " I'm so glad you survived your cancer! I have some charities that I donate to that are very important to me and my family, let me give you the names, and you can write out some checks and I'll deliver them for you. They'll be so pleased with your thoughtful donation!"

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Though I wouldn't have had the presence of mind, I would have liked to tell that lady " I'm so glad you survived your cancer! I have some charities that I donate to that are very important to me and my family, let me give you the names, and you can write out some checks and I'll deliver them for you. They'll be so pleased with your thoughtful donation!"

-ERD50
Yeah, we need that thread "Comebacks I wish I had thought of at the time"
Old 10-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Never...............I hate it!!!!!!

I do feel sorry for the cashier but that doesn't change how I feel. I also HATE the beggars standing outside the stores and on street corners. I'm surprised that other people role down their windows and make donations.

Don't get me wrong........we make substantial charitable donations, always taking the tax deduction. But......being embarrased to make a donation turns me off......always.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I love ERD50's response! But I am never tempted. I am an INTJ and do not respond to social harassment. Any charity to which I donate must have a cost effective business model and must issue me a tax receipt. Period.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Same here, and I do feel sorry for the cashiers who are probably required to ask out loud.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

You could just say "I already donate to charities" when asked that question (other responses come to mind for the next in line survivor person, but karma is a b*tch and I don't want to tempt her).

Yesterday, today, and probably tomorrow too a service club is slowing traffic in our area collecting cash. At the major stop signs (not lights). During rush hour. When traffic is already bad. And I already put a few dollars into their cans at Walgreens this morning. Grrrrrrr.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I responded politely, simply saying no thanks and the woman in line behind me interrupted and said - "I'll donate for both of us; I'm a survivor". Made me feel like a heal!
Janet that was terrible. Whether she meant to or not she made you feel like a cheap SOB. VERY rude IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
Excellent come back but as you said when caught in that situation it's hard to think quickly with such a great reply!

No I only donate to veteran's charities.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I would not have felt bad after the survivor said what she said. I'd have just smiled and said, "Be my guest."

No way I'd give money like that and thankfully I have not encountered anything like that in a long time. Other than liking thin mints (which I don't), I agree with the rest of you.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #15

Agree 100% with Janet H. I rarely donate to these cash-box solicitations.....'though I have a soft spot for the traditional Salvation Army Christmas kettles.
Almost all my charitable donations are by check (or CC) to organizations I've checked out for efficiency and integrity. Tax-deduction allows me to give more $$ for same personal net cost. It's a tax incentive the US gov't provides, so why not use it? And I always try to donate to charities which are very efficient for the cause. I REFUSE to feel guilty for NOT giving to a high-overhead charity. It's all about getting your cause the most bang for your donated buck, and the extra good work that efficiency can yield.

Time for Charities to Face the Facts: Efficiency Matters : Charity Navigator
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:04 PM   #16

I feel the same way as the OP and many others here. I donate a considerable amount to a carefully chosen few, and don't mind helping scouts or similar kids going door to door, but its not the time or place to "spring" a donation request on anyone when they had another purpose and set amount to spend in mind when they left home to make a purchase. If it gets too bad, I might start avoiding stores that tend to partner with this combined charity shopping scheme.

We could call their tactic " chopping".

....... And in turn "chop" their store brand right off our list of preferred sellers until they stop.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:22 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I work a retail, seasonal job from Thanksgiving to Christmas, at "the" high-end kitchenware store. We have to ask for contributions to a charity. Don't worry, it doesn't make me miserable to ask, and I don't care if you say yes or no. But we do have to ask everyone.
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
+1

If they record the donation on the sales receipt it would be yours for tax purposes. If it's not on the receipt, they are taking it for you.
Do you imply the business is taking the tax deduction ? If true that is pretty darn low and downright unethical, if not illegal.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post

Do you imply the business is taking the tax deduction ? If true that is pretty darn low and downright unethical, if not illegal.
Not really. You just aren't being old the entire pitch. It's like this " would you like to donate x to this charity and we will consolidate the donations into y and make it in our behalf ". They probably consider it a win win win.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:44 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I just smile and say "not today, thank you".

I'm noticing that they tend to ask us "older" folks more than others, perhaps because we are perceived as more likely to give.