Votes: 22 14.1%
  • Scan the wallet on my smartwatch

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I'm old school and pay cash

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I get the spouse to do all the shopping

Votes: 3 1.9%

• Total voters
No vote for me on poll, I usually tap CC. The only place I regularly frequent where I still have to insert the chip is Walmart. Hopefully they will catch up to this century soon :).

I always insert - so used to it I don't even notice if there is a tap or not.

Pet peeve: having to tap to choose receipt option. "None" is my preferred option for groceries/gas but some stores want to see receipts now so I can't just skip it.

Touchless if they have it. Insert if they don’t. Use cash for tips. Haven’t written a check for a retail transaction in eons.

I used to be a "efficiency freak" and try to shave seconds and minutes off of everything but I realized it was also causing stress when a masterfully crafted plan of mine didn't pan out and Oh My it was actually 4 minutes longer driving that way! DAMMIT! :(

I am a tap-to-pay person but not to save time, it's to minimize the risk of skimmers.

We don’t even carry the checkbook anymore. Usually it’s CC and tap, chip read or swipe whichever they take. Most now have tap and all have chip readers. We still carry cash, but it’s now only for some food places if it’s one where the server walks off with your card. Cash at the flea markets, craft shows, food trucks or places that either deal in all cash or we are not comfortable using our CC. The debit cards are collecting dust.

Prefer using Apple Pay because it’s so fast and easy, but will tap or insert if they don’t have it. I use cash for tips and haircuts.
I only write checks for some contractors and to insert into wedding, birthday or Christmas cards for family.
One thing I wish they’d do away with are dimes, nickels and pennies. I don’t want them or carry them.

I pay everything by credit card, except for non-chain restaurants. Then I pay cash. I highly suspect that many of these establishments keep it off the books.

My Fitbit watch has a built-in NFC chip for use anywhere that accepts contactless payments. I loaded 2 credit cards and my Bank of America debit which will work at the contactless reader at their ATM machines. I don't need to pull out my cards (in most cases) where I could possibly loose or misplace. I use at the super market (Aldi's and Publix) and most other places. I do have to pull out my card at Walmart. Their terminals won't accept contactless. I believe they have their own system which only works with their own card.

Besides being super quick, I think this is the most secure way to pay. Merchant never sees my CC number. Even the receipt shows a different (fake) number of the last four digits. If my watch somehow got into the wrong hands, a PIN is required to open the wallet. It stays active as long as the watch stays on my wrist. It deactivates as soon as I remove the watch.

Last edited:
The Home Depot stores in our area don’t do tap or Apple Pay - what the heck! It’s 2023 for goodness sake!

Yes, people are shoplifting at the freakin' dollar store!! I mean, how bad does it have to be that someone is stealing stuff that's costs a dollar?!

Due to inflationary pressures virtually nothing is only a dollar at the "Dollar" store.

More like $1.25 or more. [emoji16]

Last edited:
Apple Pay if available at the retailer. My phone is always near at hand so it’s the easiest. If not, tap my credit card.

Always use Apple Pay whenever possible, with Apple watch. It is 10 times faster than credit card. Also, right now I'm getting 5% cash back from Discover It just for using Digital wallet in any store.

If it is at a supermarket or coffee shop I usually have their frequent flier app on my phone so I have my phone in my hand to scan the app, so it is then easier to use my phone to pay by ApplePay. Otherwise I use my AppleWatch to pay.

I do a combination, tap if available. Cash for haircuts, massages, some restaurants. Apple Pay when available. Love the “pay with your palm” scanner at Whole Foods!

when using tap or applepay, how do you tip or do you just skip the tipping part ? I use cash and cc mostly cash. I also agree about the person who doesn't even start the payment process until everything is ready to go out the door. it always amazes me that some people can watch their items checked throught but do not even consider payment until the cashier says the pric.

Most of the time I pay with a CC and insert into the machine. Sometimes I will pay small bills (> $50) with cash (eating out, milk run at the grocery, or small purchase at HD or Lowes). Then there are the increasingly more frequent Amazon purchases.

Cheers!

I selected smartphone because I am moving to it for the convenience it offers. I still use a CC more often since some places don't make Apple Pay easy.

when using tap or applepay, how do you tip or do you just skip the tipping part ?

Tipping is not customary here unless it is for table service, then I ask the server to add the tip to the total.

when using tap or applepay, how do you tip or do you just skip the tipping part ?

The screen still gives the customer an option to add a tip when he/she taps. And the place I use Apple Pay also has a screen that I can add a tip. It only replaces the swipe or insert, not the rest of the process.

While I voted insert or swipe card, my first preference is to tap a card, then insert chip card and third, swipe card. I heard somewhere that tapping is the most secure of those three.

I also sometimes use my phone to tap, mostly when I want to impress friends behind me in line how with it I am. :D

The Home Depot stores in our area don’t do tap or Apple Pay - what the heck! It’s 2023 for goodness sake!

+100. And they recently “upgraded” their system. Plus, you have to use a handheld scanner. Pitiful.

I pay with credit card almost always. 1st choice is Apple Pay, followed by chip and insert card last. Some of the readers are rather slow but the Square system is scary fast. I get a receipt by text before I can gather my purchase.

+100. And they recently “upgraded” their system. Plus, you have to use a handheld scanner. Pitiful.

I consider the hand held scanner a plus. Most of what I buy at HD are large items I don't want to remove from the cart. Sam's is the same way.

Most often card, occasionally cash

how long before most of the big stores won't accept cash? I went to aldi the other day and they had just done a remodel 4 out of 6 of their checkouts were self and they were credit or debit only no cash or gift cards. I see it coming but hate to think that if I have cash I can't shop where I want to.

Back
Top Bottom