Wanted kids and had two 48 30.77%
Wanted kids and had three 15 9.62%
Wanted kids..but had too many (over 3)! 4 2.56%
No kids of my own but mate did have young (-18) kids 1 0.64%
No kids of my own and mate's kids are out of the house 4 2.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 07:07 AM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow...this old thread brought back to life reminds me how much I miss Marquette.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2009, 09:46 AM   #142
Give me a forum ...

Not surprising that the largest percentage of respondents had no kids. I guess the secret to ER is not to have kids...oh well............TOO LATE!!!!!!!!!!!!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 11-23-2009, 10:53 AM   #143
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't like babies but I adore all kids over the age of two. That said, my husband and I decided no kids as the route for us. No biological urge for either of us.

Speaking of which, I am pretty sure I would never have been born if my grandmother had access to any form of birth control so I know I come by the lack of maternal instinct naturally (mother had me to make up for her own rotten childhood and lack of love).
Old 11-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caoineag View Post
Speaking of which, I am pretty sure I would never have been born if my grandmother had access to any form of birth control so I know I come by the lack of maternal instinct naturally (mother had me to make up for her own rotten childhood and lack of love).
There's no owner's manual for kids, instinct is learned.......

I do believe that having children has delayed FIRE by at least 10 years, but i would not trade them for all the money in the world........

My family is VERY SMALL. If I would not have had sons, our family name would have been lost after my generation.........

Old 11-23-2009, 12:30 PM   #145
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
There's no owner's manual for kids, instinct is learned.......

I do believe that having children has delayed FIRE by at least 10 years, but i would not trade them for all the money in the world........

My family is VERY SMALL. If I would not have had sons, our family name would have been lost after my generation.........
My mother's family name ended with my generation. Matriarchy didn't rule and all the women took their spouse's names. Or never had kids.

My family name is now just a bit of evidence that once a male line of my family was from Norway.

I used to put more significance to my last name than I do now. When I married I kept my name. It was the women's lib thing to do and I didn't marry until my 30s, after living with my spouse for years. If I was young again I probably chose to share a name with my spouse. Off and on it has been inconvenient to have different name. And if you have kids it is nice to share one last name in the family, but otherwise, it just doesn't matter to me any more.

As far as having kids, I believe that most all of us rationalize whatever happened (kids, no kids) as being the best. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 11-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #146
Full time employment: Posting here.

I never had the urge to have kids. Friends kept assuring me that the "maternal instinct" was going to kick in, probably in my 30's, but it just didn't. Some of this may have been due to the fact that I divorced in my early 30's so just wasn't in a position to have kids at the right time.

I'm sure that not having them helped me to retire early.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
People have told me all my life about their kids...."I wouldn't take a million dollars for the ones I have, but I wouldn't give a nickel for another one!"
Old 11-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
As far as having kids, I believe that most all of us rationalize whatever happened (kids, no kids) as being the best. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
I'm not trying to rationalize anything as being the best. I never thought I would have children but can't imagine my life now without them.

If something ever happened to DW, she would still live on not only in my mind but in my kids, as I see it. When my sister died, it was quite traumatic for me. However, my youngest exhibits almost "to a T" her personailty. So, my sister lives on in my youngest son..........

Old 11-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #149
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
People have told me all my life about their kids...."I wouldn't take a million dollars for the ones I have, but I wouldn't give a nickel for another one!"
That about sums it up!
Old 11-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Hopefully, those folks are not foster parents..........

Old 11-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not surprising that the largest percentage of respondents had no kids. I guess the secret to ER is not to have kids...oh well............TOO LATE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wait, I thought roughly 58% of respondents wanted kids and actually had kids? So maybe having kids does encourage FIRE after all...
Old 11-23-2009, 06:24 PM   #152
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I probably would have had one or two if I had ever married, but I never did, so I didn't.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

I joined the forum after the poll already closed, hence did not get to cast my vote.

We wanted 2 kids, a daughter and a son, and were fortunate to get exactly that. We were old-fashioned people who could not see ourselves not having children. However, having raised children, we also understand how some people chose not to have kids. We would not make a big deal or chide anyone for making that choice.

The above said, I will say that our children were a joy to have. As youngsters, they were well-behaved, and we were on occasions complimented by strangers in public places for their behavior. It was only during my daughter's rebellious teenage years that she caused us so much grief, and for a while we really wondered how she would turn out. She is now almost 24, been working full-time while finishing up her Business degree in Accounting, and will be graduating this December.

It looks like my children will be turning into responsible adults and productive and happy citizens. It was all we hoped for, and did not expect them to be famous or rich. Simple as it is, there is absolutely no guarantee that one's offspring would even attain that. Don't we all know someone's kid who ends up in jail? You raise them the best you know how, but kids have their own mind.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:33 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
What about no kids yet? The poll needs that option.
First one coming very soon.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:29 PM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Spoken with wisdom. And I'd take that one further and say that most all of us rationalize most things in our lives as being the best........
Old 11-24-2009, 02:26 PM   #156
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Except for the fact that people who have not had any kids are not speaking from experience. Us who have, did not have kids at one time so generally remember that part of our lives.

My 2 kids (16 & 13) are the best parts of my full life. We are a very close family and the best parts of my day is at the dinner table when we all get to talk about our days. We have traveled extensively together since they were very young continue to and can't imagine going somewhere without them. It's the best and we all look forward to it twice a year. Both are great people, smart, funny, confident, athletic and they add so much to my life.

I occasionally have a weird dream (or perhaps a strange nightmare) where I am kinda back to square one...no wife and kids, but the same age and still retain all my worldly goods. It's a huge empty feeling!

So sure if you don't have kids you'll have more money and time...but to do what? Hobbies?!

E86S54

BTW...I'm in my mid-40's and plan to retire in a couple of years...to spend more time with my family.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Spoken with wisdom. And I'd take that one further and say that most all of us rationalize most things in our lives as being the best........
Not me.....I am a realist..........

Old 11-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by e86s54 View Post
Except for the fact that people who have not had any kids are not speaking from experience. Us who have, did not have kids at one time so generally remember that part of our lives.

My 2 kids (16 & 13) are the best parts of my full life. We are a very close family and the best parts of my day is at the dinner table when we all get to talk about our days. We have traveled extensively together since they were very young continue to and can't imagine going somewhere without them. It's the best and we all look forward to it twice a year. Both are great people, smart, funny, confident, athletic and they add so much to my life.

I occasionally have a weird dream (or perhaps a strange nightmare) where I am kinda back to square one...no wife and kids, but the same age and still retain all my worldly goods. It's a huge empty feeling!

So sure if you don't have kids you'll have more money and time...but to do what? Hobbies?!

E86S54

BTW...I'm in my mid-40's and plan to retire in a couple of years...to spend more time with my family.
Couldn't agree more, sounds like you have a lot of good balance in your life.........

Old 11-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #159

Quote:

My 2 kids (16 & 13) are the best parts of my full life. We are a very close family and the best parts of my day is at the dinner table when we all get to talk about our days. We have traveled extensively together since they were very young and continue to. I can't imagine going somewhere without them. It's the best and we all look forward to it twice a year. Both are great people, smart, funny, confident, athletic and they add so much to my life.

E86S54

With all due respect, your post was very insulting to us childfree people.

Your post was a good example of we in the childfree world describe as getting ďbingoedĒ. It is typical of many childed people to stereotype childfree people as having empty lives.

What E86S54 fails to realize is that not everyone wants to have children. Childfree people like me see no positives to having children of our own, only negatives. Childfree people like me are also quite capable of having positive experiences with children without finding it necessary to have them. This is evident by the volunteer work I do as part of the school Scrabble program. That's a hobby, something I treasure a lot. [I have had nightmares about discovering I DID have kids and how awful my life would become. Good-bye to all things I enjoyed having by being childfree.]

We childfree people know in advance that we donít want to see our finances worsened by having kids. We treasure our peace and quiet and donít want to see that ruined by having kids. We know in advance that we donít want to be surrounded by stinky diapers for several years.

Do people have to go skiing in order to know they donít want to buy skis?

Do people have to buy old coins to know they donít want to be coin collectors?

Do people have to buy houses to know they donít want to live in houses?

These are all simple examples of lifestyle choices which people donít make because they know in advance they donít want to have. It is no different with having children.

But with children, once you have them, you canít give them back if you end up not liking them. That is why it is extremely important to know in advance that you donít want to have them. Remember that Ann Landers survey back in the 1970s in which 70% of the respondents wrote to tell how if they had to ďdo it over again, they would not have have kids?Ē

I hope you are able to retire in a few more years and enjoy spending more time with your family. Can you do that without belittling the choices we childfree made to also retire early?
Old 11-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well...uh....what's the matter with that?