Children: You did or did not have them poll?

Do you or do you not have children? Poll

• Never wanted kids, have no kids

Votes: 59 37.8%
  • Never wanted kids, but, surprise! had kids

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Wanted kids and had one

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • Wanted kids and had two

Votes: 48 30.8%
  • Wanted kids and had three

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Wanted kids..but had too many (over 3)!

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • No kids of my own but mate did have young (-18) kids

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • No kids of my own and mate's kids are out of the house

Votes: 4 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all ears... explain away.

But poster said those without children can't comment on what it is like to have kids. I agree, but people with kids CANNOT comment on what it is like to NOT have kids.

But knock yourself out explaining the failure of logic in my comment.

OK, here goes. I was married for 9 years before having kids. So I CAN comment on what it's like to live childfree, because I did it.

Really, unless one had kids extremely young, most parents have some life experience as a childless adult.

I think it's a wise decision for those people who don't want children to not have any. There is nobody more abusive often than people feeling "forced" to raise kids they didn't want in the first place. One reason I am so pro-abortion is I've seen this over and over and experienced it in the first person.
I have huge empathy for the children of these situations, and have often wondered if there was any way I could start some organization for these kids but haven't come up with anything.

Don't want kids? Don't feel you "have" to have them. You don't. Everyone is better off then...trust me.

I think a lot of folks confuse "childless" with "hate kids", and that's not fair. My sister was a doting aunt who never had kids of her own. A few folks I know never had kids and decided not to adopt. Their lives seem as full as anyone elses.

There are plenty of folks who had kids that probably should not have..........we all know a few of those..........;)

I got married late and had kid's late, so in that regard I am kinda like CFB.........:LOL:

DW and I call such eras: "BK" (before Kids) and "AK" (after kids). We have enjoyed both journeys, since although we have been married for 14 years, we have been together for 23.........:)

OK, here goes. I was married for 9 years before having kids. So I CAN comment on what it's like to live childfree, because I did it.

Really, unless one had kids extremely young, most parents have some life experience as a childless adult.

We are a sum of ALL our experiences. You cannot judge what your life would be like today based upon your experiences of x number of years ago. That view is influenced by ALL that happened in between. So, NO, I do not think you know what it is like to live your life without children.

I'm all ears... explain away.

But poster said those without children can't comment on what it is like to have kids. I agree, but people with kids CANNOT comment on what it is like to NOT have kids.

But knock yourself out explaining the failure of logic in my comment.

For the first 7 years of my adult life, I knew what it was like to NOT have kids. I was quite expert at it. Now for the last 5 years I know what it is like to have kids. Now you see the logical fallacy?

To take it to extremes, let's say a fertile octogenarian fathers a child at age 89. He had a good solid 7 decades of NOT having kids, and then he has experience having kids post birth of his child.

Ah, yes, Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken." We practically had to memorize it in grade school. I never really appreciated his poems as a child but he grew on me.

I don't think you can really appreciate it until you have some years on you. That was my experience at least.

For the first 7 years of my adult life, I knew what it was like to NOT have kids. I was quite expert at it. Now for the last 5 years I know what it is like to have kids. Now you see the logical fallacy?

To take it to extremes, let's say a fertile octogenarian fathers a child at age 89. He had a good solid 7 decades of NOT having kids, and then he has experience having kids post birth of his child.

Read my answer above and see YOUR fallacy.

No matter what your age, once you have a child, it will change how you view (for better or worse) your life experiences (past and present). Full stop.

Count no man happy till his death.

A variation on the same theme: an Indian tribe (I seem to recall Blackfoot) would say you can't judge a man's life until you know his death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom