Christmas Present

Moemg

Gone but not forgotten
What was your favorite Christmas present as a child ? Mine was a super duper Winky Dink Kit . I am betting that Rewahoo's was a red rider bbgun !

An electric football game. I don't know how many hours of use I got out of that with my neighborhood buddies. Got it in the early 60's. Still have it believe it or not. Boxed up and stored away.

Electric Football | Retroland

My lab gave me an early Christmas present a few minuted ago. Just got home from a dinner/xmas party and let him in the backyard for a potty break. Pitch dark back there so couldn't see what he was up to but after about 10 minutes I clapped my hands for him to come in. He runs in with a dead bird in his mouth. Drops it on the kitchen floor all proud. I hope the heck he didn't eat a baby one or something as he will be giving that one to me later tonight.:facepalm: This one was a fully grown one I'm sure already dead.

Lincoln logs and an erector set. Actually got coal one Christmas, was not good.

An electric football game. I don't know how many hours of use I got out of that with my neighborhood buddies. Got it in the early 60's. Still have it believe it or not. Boxed up and stored away

+1 !!!!!

I remember finding it before Christmas when I was 11 (we always tried to find where our parents would hide the toys) but not letting on. Over the years I ended up getting several teams and painting them with my own team colors. My younger brother and I played with until we went away to college. After that we don't know what happened to it.

A few years ago I found one on sale and gave it to my brothers kids (2 boys) for Christmas, they love it. Though they no longer play with it as much, my brother says they are taking much better care of it than we did. :)

got the Lincoln logs. Wanted the erector set and a chemistry set, but was told those were for boys [but that was a dodge; the real reason was they are expensive, and make a mess].

Favorite gift was probably my riding horse on springs, when I was 4, and various "making stuff" sets which my parents deemed suitable for female children.

Lincoln logs and an erector set. Actually got coal one Christmas, was not good.

Not sure, but I'll guess it was a Scalextric slot car racing set. I just Googled and to my surprise the company (or brand) still exists evidently.

I did spend a lot of time as a kid playing with Lincoln Logs, an Erector Set and American Bricks. And hours and hours playing with a wooden train set when I was very young. Not sure if they were Christmas presents or not.

Few outside the ER generation would remember these toys.

That really takes me back. Seems like a lifetime ago. :D

Gives me an idea for another (I hope) fun thread that will really test your 'way back' machine. Up momentarily...

Last edited:
Erector set, hands down. I even collected old ones for a while as a young adult, scouting out Goodwill and Salvation Army stores.

Sadly, I've been unable to interest my grandson at all. Oh well, different strokes.........

Lionel trains, erector set, and a box of military patches/medals that I used to collect.

Have fond memories of visiting Polk Hooby Shop in NYC around Christmas time to see their extensive train layout.

got the Lincoln logs. Wanted the erector set and a chemistry set, but was told those were for boys [but that was a dodge; the real reason was they are expensive, and make a mess].

I also wanted a Chemistry set but my Mom said they were for boys and she meant it because my brother got one.

Mine was a subscription to The American Basic Science Club when I was 11. Every month for a year I got a kit that taught basic electronics, magnetism, and optics. They still exist today but I suspect they no longer include kits that use 120V AC power.

Edit: I thought the club still existed but after further checking I guess they don't.

Last edited:
A few standouts include:

1. first bicycle, a 20" Schwinn, ~1962
  2. Lionel train set (actually two, since my older brother and I each got one)
  3. Football uniform
  4. Chemistry set (again, two...)
  5. Weight set
  6. Pool table (family gift)
  7. And these, vintage 1967...

Attachments

• silvertone.jpg
    silvertone.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 3
  • gibson amp.JPG
    gibson amp.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Another one for the Erector set crowd, especially the kit with the motor in it. I made a windmill that in hindsight was probably capable of amputating fingers.

Other favorites were the American Flyer train set (wow, the coal in the coal car looked real!). My younger sister got upset when I tied one of her small dolls to the tracks as in "Perils of Pauline". Who says TV doesn't inspire violence in kids?:LOL:

A Tick Tock Clock similar to this one but with a pendulum that could be adjusted.

:)
The exact set... wow...
Ten years later, took the engine apart, and put a race car body on the base. That train must have gone thousands of miles on the oval track that was under the Christmas tree every year until I went to college

Attachments

• Old-Lionel-Trains.jpg
    Old-Lionel-Trains.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
The xmas gifts I was the most excited about getting:

- electric football game. My younger bro always argued if the pass was complete with the little felt "football".

- Hockey game - where you controlled each player. If I remember correctly, the teams were the Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadians - we played this for many years.

- electric racing cars - basic figure 8 track. Got bored with this pretty quickly.

Back
Top Bottom