Coffee?

I drink about six cups of coffee a day. I have developed more expensive tastes and no longer like the store brands (Folger's, etc.) but don't care for bold flavors either. Usually buy Seattle's Best at Target in their breakfast blend or house blend - unless there is a very good sale on Starbuck's. I make and drink most of my coffee at home or in the office - am too cheap to go to Starbuck's unless on travel. I don't grind my own beans but do use filtered water. And the only way to drink coffee is black. ;)

French press, medium-dark roast, coarse grind, preferably fresh-roasted locally, with heavy whipping cream. Every morning. No sugar. Ever.

MasterBlaster...I particularly liked and laughed at this sentence in your link:

"And instead of the aromatic, enticing rush of gurgly percolation—one of the daily pleasures of this device—you get instead the sound of someone tinkling."

:)

I never used sugar or any sugar substitute either Nash031.

Coffee and Finnish pulla bread were like wine and wafers in my home growing up. It was an afternoon ritual, especially when company came over. I still remember my grandfather sipping coffee and milk from a saucer (the saucer let it cool off faster) when I was a young boy.

I followed Mom's lead on coffee preferences, though -- unadorned with dairy products or sugar. I also like the Kirkland Columbian, a powerful brew with overtones of chocolate.

I have 1 to 2 cups every morning and sometimes a cup or two in the afternoon. I buy organic Arabica beans at Costco (that I keep in the freezer) and grind enough for a couple of days at a time. I prefer drinking it fresh, but I'm too lazy to grind them every day. I use the coffee dripper which is less messy than the French press. It makes one cup at a time.

I only drink Star bucks in airports, because it's in every airport. Everywhere.

I've never had Dunkin doughnuts coffee. I don't think we have them near me, never seen one.

At least 2 large mugs each morning with a little bit of fat-free milk while reading the newspaper. It's my routine and things don't go well if one of those things are missing. I will only go to Starbucks or other coffee houses in an emergency.

Got a Keurig from my sister for Christmas this year and it felt wrong using it because the little k-cups cost about $.40 each (much more than I was used to) and they aren't recyclable. However, I am now in love with it. My DH likes strong coffee and I prefer more mild brands so it is perfect for us.

I drink about 3 cups each morning. After noon I switch to water.
I have a Keurig but have recently switched to the Clever Coffee Dripper. I find it better than a French Press as there are no annoying grounds left in the coffee. It is similar to a Melitta but in configured to allow more brewing time--very clever indeed. Sold at amazon. Not expensive at all, and I also indulged in an inexpensive electric water heater pot.
I like Starbucks as well as Caribou. In general, I really like the coffee shop culture that's sprung up over the last decade. Long before it got popular, I often hung out in coffee shops in Europe when traveling, teaching, or as a student--Vienna, Rome, etc. So I was pleased when a semblance of that culture took on here. I often work in a coffee shop, read the paper, etc. It is relaxing to me and I meet a lot of neighbors.

He mentions in the article:
" I serve generic decaf to guests and they’re begging to know what kind of coffee I buy. Swear to God. I haul out the big green can to prove it."

I have experienced a similar situation at my house. It was evening and I only had some old decaf in the back of the shelf. So I went ahead and served that. My guests commented on how good the coffee was and asked me what kind of coffee I was using. People are just not used to what they are missing by using their home drip makers these days.
No one knows when they drink decaf in my house either, and I use the drip coffee maker. The key is to using enough coffee. Most bad coffee is just weak coffee. Even the generic coffee is much better when you don't skimp.

I like Dunkin', pretty good. Starbucks is pretty good too. We have a local shop here in Bird Rock that's awesome.

New question: Freeze or not?

I froze my beans for a long time, but don't anymore at the suggestion of the baristas at said coffee shop. After reading online a little bit, there seems to be a split. In my experience, freezing doesn't do anything for the coffee (some say it harms the beans) *if you're using it every day*. I guess if you're sitting on a bag for a month or more, maybe...? Thoughts?

Got a Keurig from my sister for Christmas this year and it felt wrong using it because the little k-cups cost about $.40 each (much more than I was used to) and they aren't recyclable. However, I am now in love with it. My DH likes strong coffee and I prefer more mild brands so it is perfect for us.

Amazon.com: Keurig My K-Cup Reusable Coffee Filter: Kitchen & Dining

also

Ekobrew Cup, Refillable Cup for Keurig K-cup Brewers, Brown, 1-Count: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

and so on. Besides less waste, they allow you to use whatever coffee you prefer, not just what's available in K-Cups, which is pretty limited.

Split a pot of black every am.

Our search for the "perfect cup" has had a few stops along the way. It was Peet's for a long time. Lately it's been French Roast from www.cafemam.com. We order 10 lbs at a time and it's about $10 per pound delivered. I've been thinking though that our taste gets used to one flavor and it might be worthwhile to alternate between favorites.

Oh, and what's the deal with ordering a latte from a coffee shop and they ask "do you want any flavor with that?" Isn't that insulting your own coffee?

I have a Starbucks gold card and buy about 1 bag a month of French Roast. Most of the employees who work there seem to be pleasant and happy.

"Pleasant and happy" employees are partly why my neighborhood Starbucks is such a fun place to hang out. They are obviously well trained to put the customer first and set a general upbeat and friendly tone for the place. Given the surly attitude of so many employees these days--the local Walgreens and hardware store come to mind--it is downright refreshing. Starbucks has a big fireplace, comfy chairs, lots of newspapers, and is always warm inside--perfect for our frigid winter.

The independent coffee shop just down the street from me also has friendly servers and a good atmosphere. But sadly their coffee is insipid.

I grew up drinking Dunkin Donuts coffee back east. It took forever for them to become a national brand. Now I prefer a "senior black coffee" at Mickey D's for $0.50, especially when travelling in the car.

We have a Kruig at home and DW likes Green Mountain Southern Pecan, but I am much easier to please (or getting so old I don't care anymore).

For those looking for a bold dark roast coffee that's inexpensive - look for "La Llave" - it's marketed to the hispanic crowd, specifically cuban - and it's a good dark roast coffee. My BFF is a coffee snob - and loves Ille, the italian brand. I served her espresso made with La Llave and she asked if it was Ille. Nope... I saved about $8 per can by buying La Llave.

Split a pot of black every am.

Our search for the "perfect cup" has had a few stops along the way. It was Peet's for a long time. Lately it's been French Roast from www.cafemam.com. We order 10 lbs at a time and it's about $10 per pound delivered. I've been thinking though that our taste gets used to one flavor and it might be worthwhile to alternate between favorites.

Oh, and what's the deal with ordering a latte from a coffee shop and they ask "do you want any flavor with that?" Isn't that insulting your own coffee?

I use Peet's Major Dickason's blend or the one you have in your photo above (if I can't get to my local stuff).

We have had a Keurig since they were first made (it was a bear to find one). We each drink a cup in the morning -- Dark Magic -- before we head off to work. Occasionally, I fill a thermos with a second cup and take it with me.

As someone who grew up on US Navy engine room coffee, I'm quite happy with our current set-up.

P.S. - there is no point in drinking coffee if you are going to adulterate it with cream or sugar.

One to 2 cups of Maxwell house coffee with a half a ton of cream and a half a ton of sugar. I use a drip coffee maker. We have a Kuerig coffee maker at work but it tastes too strong for me. They buy lots of different coffee blends, think I had Starbuck's Blonde, which is suppose to be lighter flavor but it still tastes too strong. Yes, I did try adding my half a ton "adulterate" cream and sugar. ;)

We have had a Keurig since they were first made (it was a bear to find one). We each drink a cup in the morning -- Dark Magic -- before we head off to work. Occasionally, I fill a thermos with a second cup and take it with me.

As someone who grew up on US Navy engine room coffee, I'm quite happy with our current set-up.

P.S. - there is no point in drinking coffee if you are going to adulterate it with cream or sugar.

I didn't start drinking coffee until I joined the Navy, and the Navy has some of the crappiest coffee ever. But we can agree to disagree about cream (NOT creamER). Heavy whipping cream in good coffee is just heavenly. I would never add CoffeeMate or any of that flavored crap, let alone sugar, to my Joe. :nonono:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom