Online Chess Videos

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Lately, I've been watching a bunch of online chess videos.

No, not the dull, boring how to play chess type of videos but videos of people playing chess.

In particular, a youtube group called Coffee Chess where players play (and give friendly trash talk). I never knew trash talking and conversations while playing was a thing. I've always thought folks were supposed to keep quiet while the players were concentrating. Instead, the players are the ones trying to outdo each other in trash talking.

That matches are fun to watch at Coffee Chess with the board and moves shown on the video. One thing I learned from watching though is despite playing a little online years ago, I'm not that good of a player :(.

I've played Chess on line against computers from time to time but I've never watched on line chess players. Maybe I'll try... No doubt I'll learn something.

However I recently started watching videos of people playing high stakes slot machines on line. Learned a lot... Crazy!

I played chess quite a bit in my younger years, taught by my Grandpa. Now my 11 YO grandson has picked it up... Little bugger kicks my butt.

I've played Chess on line against computers from time to time but I've never watched on line chess players. Maybe I'll try... No doubt I'll learn something.

However I recently started watching videos of people playing high stakes slot machines on line. Learned a lot... Crazy!

Is there a competition with each other aspect to the high stakes slots?

About the chess online, I guess the friendly trash talking helps make the video entertaining as opposed to if the players just silently moved pieces. But I've seen some player spend minutes chatting on their own time as their chess clocks are running and then their time dwindles away.

Over the summer I was explaining to some of our guests at the lake house that there was a thriving YouTube chess community.

The "olds" where all shocked that chess thrived on YouTube, but the younger kids (who do play chess it turns out) know all about it. They are even "fans" of Gotham chess and the Botez sisters among others.

One nephew even let it slip that playing chess school is something the cool kids do. I'll take their word for it, but when I played chess at school we were definitely not the cool kids.

This sounds even worse than watching people play video games - just not my thing. And watching them play slot machines or poker? No thanks. lol But of course, I understand people have different interests, so nothing surprises me.

I used to play chess against the computer 30 years ago and could sometimes beat it. I quit playing many years back, so my skills aren't the same, and the computers are better.

Over the summer I was explaining to some of our guests at the lake house that there was a thriving YouTube chess community.

The "olds" where all shocked that chess thrived on YouTube, but the younger kids (who do play chess it turns out) know all about it. They are even "fans" of Gotham chess and the Botez sisters among others.

One nephew even let it slip that playing chess school is something the cool kids do. I'll take their word for it, but when I played chess at school we were definitely not the cool kids.

The Botez sisters is how I got to watching YouTube chess online. Stumbled on one of their videos and first thought "Is this real?". They are chess meets social influencers. The older sister, Alex (short for Alexandria), after having watched some of her games, noticed that she has a remarkable end game moving pieces as the clock ticks down.

I used to play a lot in high school and college... was 'good' for a HS player but never THAT good...

My claim to fame is I was the closest to beat Ronald Henley in a HS tournament... I had him on the ropes and saw a move that was VERY aggressive but did not have the balls to do it... thought about it for 10 minutes (a long time for these tournaments as you had 30 minutes per side)... made a wimpy move and lost...

After the game he asked me what I wanted to move... told him and he said if I had moved that he was going to try for a draw as he could not win... drats!!

He went on to greatness... me, not so much...

BTW, I did win my college tournament once and was second the other time...

Now would get beat easily...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Henley_(chess_player)

That's a good claim to fame.

Sounds like you were a pretty serious player one time.

In my case, I was taught how to move pieces by a brother of mine. Looking back, I think he taught me just so he'd have someone to play and beat. Wasn't until years later (from playing chess with a friend) that I learned some strategy. My claim to fame is in time gaining the bragging rights back against my brother by showing that he is no longer a match for me.

Here's a question maybe some folks will know. So, once when an accomplished player earns a title (like grand master or the other titles), is that a lifetime title or do could they lose the title (like if I boxer doesn't defend his title)?

Through the magic of modern day tech, I've been tuning in a Stockholm, Sweden the past few nights watching one of my favorite online chess streamers (Anna Cramling) play in a tournament. If you never heard of her, both are parents are chess grandmasters. Her mom does play by play on Anna's chess matches of this tournament.

I don't watch the match live (a match can go over 5 hours). I watch the recorded match after it's complete so I can fast forward a bit if I choose rather than wait for a long time for each move. Plus, time zone differences. Watching Anna Cramling play is nerve racking though as her habit is to flirt with running out of time. With that many of her matches are a bit of a high wire act. In the tournament there are 9 rounds. So far, 3 are complete and she's won 2 and had a draw for 2.5 points.

What is nice that about a day each match, on her youtube channel, she gives analysis of the game. Once again, watching I realize how much I don't know about chess than what I do know.

It is enjoyable to viciously see what playing in a chess tournament is like. I now see why it is more than just a "game" and a sport :).

Attachments

• anna cramling.jpg
    anna cramling.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 2
I'm coming out of retirement :).

That is, I'm making a comeback with online chess.

I had quit playing over 10 years ago. But watching the livestreamed tournament around the New Year rekindled the passion. In addition, online chess is friendlier than 10 years ago.

In my "comeback" thus far, I've only played a few games against fictitious opponents (computer). Looking at the computerized opponents, it's really nice as one can practice against different level and styles of players. Even against versions of streamers and Magnus.

Here's a screen grab of a good game I just played at intermediate level (I'm the guest) and won. Look, no blunders this game. Usually I make several blunders during a game :facepalm:.

Attachments

• 2024-01-13-chess comback.jpg
    2024-01-13-chess comback.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 4
I'm watching Alex Botez of the Botez sisters playing bounty chess (first time I heard of such a thing).

Wild. She adds $50 for each person she beats to add to pot. If person beats her at game, they win a good sum.

Attachments

• bounty chess.jpg
    bounty chess.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hope I didn't just jinx myself :).

I'm riding a 7 game win streak in online chess over at chess.com. The time control I play are rapid games: 15 mins + 5 second increment each move.

I move fast enough that way that I haven't lost a game due to time. Nor have I drawn.

Out of 33 games, I've won 21, lost 12. Progress as I was about even not long ago.

A benefit from this endeavor is my brain does feel sharper playing chess than if I just scroll and scroll on my phone or computer watching social media.

Attachments

• 2024-01-25-rating.jpg
    2024-01-25-rating.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hope I didn't just jinx myself :).

I'm riding a 7 game win streak in online chess over at chess.com. The time control I play are rapid games: 15 mins + 5 second increment each move.

I move fast enough that way that I haven't lost a game due to time. Nor have I drawn.

Out of 33 games, I've won 21, lost 12. Progress as I was about even not long ago.

A benefit from this endeavor is my brain does feel sharper than if I just scroll and scroll on my phone watching social media.

Are those games against remote human users?

I used to play lot of chess back in the 80's. I use to play against an old Atari 800 XL and could beat it on lower levels a lot of the time. I was really into it back then. I didn't rush my moves. Neither did the computer. lol Now, I just can't get into it, even though I have better chess engines that are fast. Plus there are the online ones, which I've never used. Too much brain fog for that now.

Last edited:
Are those games against remote human users?

I used to play lot of chess back in the 80's. I use to play against an old Atari 800 XL and could beat it on lower levels a lot of the time. I was really into it back then. I didn't rush my moves. Neither did the computer. lol Now, I just can't get into it, even though I have better chess engines that are fast. Plus there are the online ones, which I've never used. Too much brain fog for that now.

These games are against remote humans on their computers. The rating is an actual rating calculated at chess.com. I think the default rating when one starts is like 1200 (though not certain). You can set parameters as to what level of skill to play games against. I chose plus or minus 100 pts from my current rating. Thus, if I was rated 1000, I'd play against those rated about 900-1100. That is a moving target that fluctuates after each game since one's rating gets recalculated after the outcome of each game.

There are also computerized opponents to play with. I've played against some mostly for practice but those aren't rated games.

The cool thing I think about chess.com is that some of the famous chess players play there. For example, I just did a partial screen grab of the leaderboard of Blitz (those games too fast for me). THE Magnus Carlsen, as of this moment is in second place. That's actually him with is handle on chess.com. The GM title before his name shows he is a grandmaster.

Attachments

• 2024-01-25 -blitz-leaderboard.jpg
    2024-01-25 -blitz-leaderboard.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
These games are against remote humans on their computers. The rating is an actual rating calculated at chess.com. I think the default rating when one starts is like 1200 (though not certain). You can set parameters as to what level of skill to play games against. I chose plus or minus 100 pts from my current rating. Thus, if I was rated 1000, I'd play against those rated about 900-1100. That is a moving target that fluctuates after each game since one's rating gets recalculated after the outcome of each game.

There are also computerized opponents to play with. I've played against some mostly for practice but those aren't rated games.

The cool thing I think about chess.com is that some of the famous chess players play there. For example, I just did a partial screen grab of the leaderboard of Blitz (those games too fast for me). THE Magnus Carlsen, as of this moment is in second place. That's actually him with is handle on chess.com. The GM title before his name shows he is a grandmaster.
I played a game against "Sleeping Magnus" and won. I think that's as far as I want to go with it. :LOL:

I played a game against "Sleeping Magnus" and won. I think that's as far as I want to go with it. :LOL:

Good to quit while you are ahead :LOL:.

Also, good to continue when you are down (sometimes).

My win streak is now up to 8. I won a close game where I was down a pawn and was getting low on time. Thought about resigning but marched on and pestered the opponent enough giving some checks. Then he blundered his queen and resigned :cool:. A win is a win.

Last edited:

I played a game yesterday (or the day before, don't recall exactly) against the computer. During the course of the game, I ended up having 4 queens. I kept on promoting a pawn then blundering (not intentional). Game ended that I only barely won. Was almost comical.

I played a game yesterday (or the day before, don't recall exactly) against the computer. During the course of the game, I ended up having 4 queens. I kept on promoting a pawn then blundering (not intentional). Game ended that I only barely won. Was almost comical.
I'm pulling from 30 year old memories here, but I don't think I ever had 4 queens, nor my opponents. I remember having at least 2. My old Atari 800XL chess could probably beat me easily now. I used to set up a real chessboard when I played it and just matched it up to the screen. I didn't do that against Sleeping Magnus.

I'm pulling from 30 year old memories here, but I don't think I ever had 4 queens, nor my opponents. I remember having at least 2. My old Atari 800XL chess could probably beat me easily now. I used to set up a real chessboard when I played it and just matched it up to the screen. I didn't do that against Sleeping Magnus.

Back years ago I used to practice again a computer program I installed from a CD. I can't recall if there was an option to pick different strength opponents or not with that CD. I do remember playing again and again to practice attacking the center of the board. Kind of like hitting a tennis ball against the wall and never winning, but was good practice. I do like how at chess.com there are different strength avatars to practice against.

My win streak ended at 8 :mad: . Lost focus and got dive bombed. Oh well.

My win streak ended at 8 :mad: . Lost focus and got dive bombed. Oh well.
You mentioned you were playing people with +/- 100 of your rating, so I would have expected you to lose some of those games if their rating is so close to yours.

Looks like I had downloaded some standalone free chess programs for Windows back in 2007 because I sold a guy a used computer, and he wanted a chess program to play against the computer. Some of them have interchangeable chess engines. I don't even know which ones I ever tried and what I gave him to use. So, 2007 is likely the last time I ever played chess against a person, since I did play him at least one game in person before selling him the computer. And then I didn't use the programs again.

I think those programs usually had didn't skill levels or time limit you could select for the computer opponent. On my Atari computer about 30 years ago, you could choose different levels, but I'm thinking it took about a minute for it to move on the second level, so I didn't go any higher.

Last edited:
You mentioned you were playing people with +/- 100 of your rating, so I would have expected you to lose some of those games if their rating is so close to yours.

Looks like I had downloaded some standalone free chess programs for Windows back in 2007 because I sold a guy a used computer, and he wanted a chess program to play against the computer. Some of them have interchangeable chess engines. I don't even know which ones I ever tried and what I gave him to use. So, 2007 is likely the last time I ever played chess against a person, since I did play him at least one game in person before selling him the computer. And then I didn't use the programs again.

I think those programs usually had didn't skill levels or time limit you could select for the computer opponent. On my Atari computer about 30 years ago, you could choose different levels, but I'm thinking it took about a minute for it to move on the second level, so I didn't go any higher.

Since my win streak ended, I've been struggling. Won 2, lost 4, 1 draw. The 4 losses were a 4 game losing streak :(.

You do know that at chess.com you can play as a guest, unrated games? If you want to just play a human but don't intend to get as involved with ratings and won/loss records.

Online chess in recent years exploded in popularity due to the pandemic. Folks were locked down at home so I guess many pursued playing again. Add that with live streamers. A good match.

Back
Top Bottom