Coming out of the closet

Good discussion here. My husband retired from employment in his 40s (to work on and manage rental property). He previously worked a blue collar job, sailing on the Great Lakes on the ore boats. I know a number of people from that background. Plenty did fine financially, partly because there wasn't a lot of opportunity to spend money. Some of the old guys retired, lived in a single wide, drove an old car, and died with a million or two in the bank. Some spent too much free time on the boats gambling or drinking and things didn't turn out so well for them.

I became a professional, but came from a small farm in a small town. Never acquired much of the taste for the expensive life. I always have felt a bit insecure about money. I am from a family and a community that would consider it unseemly to have too fancy a house, clothes or car and your "stuff" was not considered a topic for discussion.

Then again, maybe all the people who came from rich parents are on another, secret, retirement board for those with 10 million or more in assets.

I'm beginning to wonder if FIRE (the really early kind - 30's or 40's maybe even early 50's) is mostly done by those with a blue collar background and a white collar career.  They are making good bucks but they haven't really acquired the taste for the expensive life.

I don't know if that is so or not. But I find that a really interesting idea, hyperborea.

I'm beginning to wonder if FIRE (the really early kind - 30's or 40's maybe even early 50's) is mostly done by those with a blue collar background and a white collar career.  They are making good bucks but they haven't really acquired the taste for the expensive life.

I don't know if that is so or not. But I find that a really interesting idea, hyperborea.

Fits my profile exactly...never thought about it that way though; grew up in a blue collar world...first in the family to go to college (which I paid for myself) and worked as an IT professional contractor for some of those stuffy corporate types...and always did feel like everyone knew I wasn't supposed to be there (funny thing, I didn't belong there :), it wasn't until recent years I discovered I belonged standing in a middle of a flock of sheep!:) ).

Took the money and stashed most of it, I always felt like it wouldn't last and never wanted to build a lifestyle that depended on it) and we always lived on a "blue collar" budget (with a few exceptions)...even when the sky rained money...and now I get by again on a blue collar budget...except in this case I don't need to work for it....

INTJ's, dryer sheet frugal, and , and, now possibly the blue collar connection.

Hmmmmm:confused:?

I'm leaving for the Bahamas tomorrow 8) - But it's 50 degrees here today! The cardinals are singing - they think it's spring! - How's it up there in Duluth?

Inched up above freezing yesterday. Maybe that 8 foot icicle hanging off the ice dams on our roof will start to melt. Snow again by the weekend.

Have fun in the Bahamas. We are leaving for a month next week.

Martha

Around 50 here today, and lower 50s tomorrow.
I'm looking for a big hole in the ice so I can get the
boat in the river. Oh spring, glorious spring :)

JG

Hey, Dex. Just curious . . . are we talking about two issues here? Do you really know what it's like to be a gay man in a straight world? Doesn't matter the color of your collar, what's the color of your heart? Mine's rainbow colored. Born and raised poor in the Bronx myself, but didn't know it since everyone else was too. Think sexuality is nobody's business but your own, especially in the working world. I've never discussed it at work, but when I was finally invited to the big year-end dinner, I brought my partner with me. Guess I came out at that moment in time. Been lucky, that although nothing's been said, I've been totally accepted.
By the way, we've been together 22 years now . . . he's already retired and I'm going out in the spring. We got married last June in Massachusetts, and that actually got me on his medical! Whew!

Good thread!

My husband and I are both white-collar workers, but we were motivated to start saving for ER by good friends of ours- he's a mechanic and works for the fed. govt, she is a homemaker. One day hubby found our friend hiding out in his truck on a snowy day at work reading one of those "Retire at 50 with a Million" books. He will have 30 years of service in at age 48 and they are saving all they can in 401K and IRAs to supplement his federal pension, already have a paid-off home, and will be set.

We won't be able to ER until hubby is 56-- all those years spent in college and grad school set us back a little, I guess!

Hey, Dex. Just curious . . . are we talking about two issues here? Do you really know what it's like to be a gay man in a straight world? Doesn't matter the color of your collar, what's the color of your heart? Mine's rainbow colored. Born and raised poor in the Bronx myself, but didn't know it since everyone else was too. Think sexuality is nobody's business but your own, especially in the working world. I've never discussed it at work, but when I was finally invited to the big year-end dinner, I brought my partner with me. Guess I came out at that moment in time. Been lucky, that although nothing's been said, I've been totally accepted.
By the way, we've been together 22 years now . . . he's already retired and I'm going out in the spring. We got married last June in Massachusetts, and that actually got me on his medical! Whew!
Calissidy,
My topic heading was an analogy for my feelings on work and the affect on my life and happiness. No, I am not gay and a person's sexuality is not an issue for me. It is the person that is important.
So from my prospective we are only talking about one issue.

As far as the color of the collar I have been working in a white collar world and the feelings I put out here most likely apply to every collar color.
When I started this thread I didn't really expect this response. I guess my thoughts touched a cord. If it helps others to gain an insight into their life so much the better.
And you are lucky to have found a partner to be with for 22 years.
I was once married to a girl from the Bronx but it didn't last. We were too young and there were other issues. Now with the passing of time all that is left is the regret and the wonder of what may have been and the path not taken.
As far as the Bronx goes someone once said: "It is a good place to have been from."

Back
Top Bottom