Compact Discs Blanks

BOBOT

Recycles dryer sheets
Is there any difference in cd's for recording music? I don't care about write speed rating, and can't think why there would be other differences that would matter. Any reason to buy anything other than the cheapest?

Yes, some cheap media will simply no longer be readable within the next decade or two. Not so bad on a music or video player, but fairly bad for computer/file usage.

They'll degrade and start showing recoverable errors after a while, then become unusable.

This is not to say that some expensive media wont do exactly the same thing.

I use the cheap stuff for video and music...by the time it drops dead I wont care about the subject matter anymore. Some older, slower, very expensive stuff from when media incompatibilities were huge problems and media makers were more careful for the data.

CFB, how do they degrade?

BTW, I'm in the process of recording my LP's to cd's, & processing the noise out as I do so, so I want the cd's to last.

Lots of ways...poor sealing of the media layer sandwich, the quality of the reflective layer, the quality of the dye, where it was manufactured and how it was handled during manufacture, and how you store it.

Use Taiyo Yudens, and keep them out of direct sun, high heat, and in a cool dry place.

That's right. The "Audio" CDs have an amount tacked on to the price that goes to artists. There is some audio recording equipment that will only accept these "Audio" CDs, but for the purposes of recording on a computer, they are no different from the CD-R discs that are cheaper.

i started researching this because i want to put family archives on dvd for my future vagabond life, to share with current family & to pass onto future generations.

what i learned so far is that the more costly dvd's are supposed to last longer. in particular i was refered to discs with a gold reflective layer like verbatim's ultra life gold & tdk.

i'll use the more expensive discs because i really want the best transfer and storage possible. but i'm not convinced that shorter term storage would not be just as appropriate because i suspect that before any of these discs deteriorate an entirely new storage & read system will come into use.

lazygood4nothinbum said:
...because i suspect that before any of these discs deteriorate an entirely new storage & read system will come into use.

Whattaya mean? Vinyl eight track cassette Betamax VHS compact disc DVD Blueray is the $hit!

In a computer you should be able to use either data CDs or Audio/Music CDs. But if you are using a CD Recorder, which is a stand alone unit that does not need a computer, you may be required to use the Audio/Music CDs.

Back
Top Bottom