Computer locks up when using IE, not Google Chrome

wolf

Full time employment: Posting here.
Anyone have this problem, and a solution. Recently, when using Internet Explorer as browser, computer would lock up. Ctrl-alt-delete no effect.
Cursor would not move. Had to hold down the on/off button to shut the
computer down.

Googled this problem, Seems very common. But could not find any solution.

If you change to a different browser, I changed to Google Chrome, everything
works fine, and even faster.

Just curious, anyone experience the same issue, and found a solution.
:greetings10:

Easy solution....don't use IE. I think the only folks still using IE are using it to check their AOL email. ;)

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.

Never had the slightest problem with MSIE, but then I am thinking it may be a bit resource hungry and my laptop is fairly high end. I used to have Chrome installed too, but just don't see the point.

Seriously, IE is just a horror show. I used to use it but moved to Firefox. No more problems.

I would disable all IE add-ons and see how it works. If it seems to be working better then only enable the add-ons as needed.

Just restored my laptop to it's original factory state with Windows Vista. Tried to use IE to download Chrome browser but IE kept reporting a page error and wouldn't work with Google site. Had to download Firefox, install, download Chrome, install, delete Firefox.

As far as I'm concerned, IE is crapware.

Thanks for the inputs. Agree, IE is bad. Just wondered why this is happening, and why
such a large corporation as Microsoft, denies the problem, and does not fix it.

Also, had problems downloading bank statements when on IE. (started happening for past few months.)
Had to go to Google Chrome, to download bank statements. No issues.

Last edited:
are you running IE or Edge? Have you cleared out the browsing history, cookies, etc? I typically run chrome as others do. But often these tools need a bunch of crap cleared out.

I also had problems with IE mainly in the past year. Keep freezing up on different sites. I now use Chrome on everything except a few programs (tied to work) that will only work in IE.

are you running IE or Edge? Have you cleared out the browsing history, cookies, etc?

Good point. I have zero trouble with IE, but then I do habitually run CCleaner once a week to clear out all of the temporary files and so on. Also it is a good idea to run Malwarebytes right afterwards.

IE has only one purpose... to download another browser.

Double :LOL:

A while back, my Mom was having some start-up lock up on her Safari browser. I logged in through Teamviewer to help. No easy solution, but I thought I had installed FireFox as an alternate, but nope. So I thought, "I'll just download FireFox, ..... ummmm, hmmmm, I guess not?" :facepalm:

A bit of googling on my end, and I found a site that allowed an ftp download of FireFox, so I opened the terminal on her computer through Teamviewer, and got it installed.

After all that, I found just clearing the offending site that was throwing up an error from the history and restarting Safari cleared it up.

Moral of the story, always have a back up browser on your system.

-ERD50

ERD50's moral is my experience also. I have been having more and more and more and ... problems using IE. Right now I am in Firefox. I will use IE when and if I have a good reason or if and when IE problems resolve themselves. I find resolving very unlikely in view of W10.

I long ago moved to Foxfire and completely avoid Explorer. It seems to work smoother on my computers and notebooks.

I do have Microsoft 10 installed on my newest computers, but I continue to use the old formats--avoiding the M/S 10 pages completely.

Back
Top Bottom