computer monitors power consumption

Ready-4-ER-at-14

Full time employment: Posting here.
I've had my main desktop now for a few years regarding the tower but really don't remember when I got the four monitors it uses.

I was looking at them today and noticed only one was an energy start compliant one so looked up the power usage.

1@67w
2@23w
1 @ 25w this was the energy star efficient one

I've always bought on sale cheaper monitors so did not expect the "twins" to beat the energy star one.

I notice that energy star also is involved with the trickle usage when off,
so it may be better overall, or just an early energy star designation.

I use a smart power bar that shuts off everything unless the main unit is on so trickle usage may not be much of a concern.

It makes so much sense to change a 75w lightbulb for a 18w led for a couple bucks but can't get that jazzed to reduce 67w to 23w or so for $90.

Am curious if people here are replacing monitors or just going to new laptops like all my kids have.

I have went to a laptop for the convenience -- not for any power consumption differential (either positive or negative).

I have a BenQ GW2470H monitor that is rated for 23 watts. However, according to the power meter on my UPS it's currently only using about 9 watts. I'm just comparing turned on vs turned off, so there's probably another watt or two in the background for standby usage. In any case, it's certainly much better than the old CRT's used to use.

I would think most LED monitors would have similar power usage, so I would choose based on display quality rather than power usage.

Turning down the brightness on your monitor can also reduce your power usage: https://green.harvard.edu/tools-resources/green-tip/reduce-monitor-brightness-reduce-energy

I’ve switched out all my light bulbs for LEDs but power consumption would not be a consideration for a monitor. Seems like they’re all efficient now and they go into sleep mode when not in use. That seems good enough for me. As was said, my focus would be getting the best resolution my computer can produce. Am at that point now until I get a new computer. Probably a couple more years.

My main computer is a 17" Dell laptop, and I ignore the power saving settings. 100% brightness, never sleeping or hibernating, and when the display fails I'll buy a new computer which I do anyway every year or two because I like doing that. In a few years when I am older, it may become harder to see the screen due to aging vision even with these settings. When that happens, my plan is to use my 60" plasma TV as my computer display.

To me being able to comfortably see my computer is a huge priority. Cheaping out on my computer's electricity consumption might save me a few pennies but to save those pennies I'd rather sell pencils on street corners or eat top ramen instead of steak, KWIM? That's my personal preference.

Like Jerry1 I have switched out all my light bulbs for LEDs, so I am saving some electricity with those I suppose. My electric bill has gone down a tiny bit. I do keep them turned on for longer hours than when they were incandescent, though. I love the convenience of not having to replace them so often.

I stopped using desktop computers at home when I felt that laptops had finally become good enough to be a desktop replacement (for my purposes). I guess that must have been about 15-20 years ago.

Am curious if people here are replacing monitors or just going to new laptops like all my kids have.

I'm a desktop person, probably always will. I need a full-size keyboard, and a decent seating position to do anything. I'm not a lounger user. No way can I type or see anything with a laptop balanced on my stomach while laying down! :)

Last 3 monitors -- Went from a ViewSonic Professional CRT monitor, when it died, to a LG Flatron LCD that had fluorescent tubes for backlighting, when its tubes started to go, decided not to replace them myself, went to a Dell LCD with LED backlight, that has the long-time 5:4 aspect ratio. The Dell was one of the last 5:4 aspect ratio monitors available, it's now obsolete. I hope the Dell keeps going and going. Because to get the vertical screen height I have, I'd need a very large 16:9 aspect ratio monitor to get it. For my use, the horizontal width of 16:9 is a waste.

My UPS says 43 watts now, that's with my DS-assembled large-tower CPU + aforementioned DELL monitor + FIOS router including MOCA channel to set-top box, and WIFI enabled.

I was using a 40" Sony TV as a monitor for a while. Found out it uses 200 watts. Went back to the small monitor to save 120 watts. Five bucks a months probably saved.

I'm a desktop person, probably always will. I need a full-size keyboard, and a decent seating position to do anything.

Same here. I have a couple of laptops but almost never use them. I much prefer the ergonomics and flexibility of a desktop computer.

My UPS says 43 watts now, that's with my DS-assembled large-tower CPU + aforementioned DELL monitor + FIOS router including MOCA channel to set-top box, and WIFI enabled.

Wow, that's really good. My system runs around 72 watts for the computer, monitor, modem, router, and flatbed scanner. Mine is an i7-4790K with 16GB RAM, three SSD drives, and an external USB hard drive for backups. I wonder what components you have to get the power usage that low?

I'm too prefer the ergonomics of a desktop. I like the clickety-clack sound of a mechanic keyboard as I type and the use of an installed graphics card over what's in a laptop (though I'm sure built-in graphics one newer laptops are probably adequate).

On the laptops which I do use, I'm like W2R in that I turn off the power savings and have the screen on full brightness. That's a splurge which more comfortable than getting flustered by the auto dimming.

As for power savings on the desktop, I couldn't get the power settings to work right with Win 10 (too many combinations that seem to only half-work). So, my approach is more manual. Thanks to a hotkey script, I have the F1 function key set to sleep. So if I walk away from the computer for several minutes, the to sleep is just a keypress away. For bedtime, I put the computer on hibernate.

Oh yeah, my place is almost 100% LED bulbs with a few exceptions (like the bulbs in the fridge).

Back
Top Bottom