Consumer Reports Automobile Reliability Report is Out

The problem I have with touch screen is bumpy roads. You try to push the icon to play music and instead hit the one that turns on the wipers. Now, we have a distracted driver. I can operate the physical controls of my old Camry by feel most of the time.

I used to be a religious CR reader, with a multi year subscription, but I no longer use it. Probably due to the difficulty of consulting it. I don't like its online paywall and its too much hassle to go to my local library.
Now my go to site for product information is wire cutter. I have not been steered wrong yet although only have used it for sub-$1k purchases so far.
Check it out.

I don't understand, if you had a subscription, why was it difficult to use? I must disagree on the paywall. Their staff does not work for nothing and they don't advertise. The money has to come from somewhere. If my stocks and bonds gave me the return I get from my subscription to CR I would have been able to retire at 45.

WireCutter:confused: I have found that to be a thinly veiled site for selling stuff online. I might trust them to test a waffle iron or a pencil sharpener, but not a dishwasher or bench saw, and certainly not an automobile.

Last edited:
I don't understand, if you had a subscription, why was it difficult to use? As far as the online site having a paywall.... Their staff does not work for nothing and they don't advertise. The money has to come from somewhere.

WireCutter:confused: I have found that to be a thinly veiled site for selling stuff online. I might trust them to test a waffle iron or a pencil sharpener, but not a dishwasher or bench saw, and certainly not an automobile.
Poorly worded by me...
I cancelled my subscription because I was an infrequent user. When I now want to use it I find the paywall annoying. I know - if I want their service I need to pay.

As to wire cutter, they are upfront that they only receive revenue if someone clicks through an affiliate link. That's a way better model than most online sites that get contractual revenue, free samples etc. from merchandise sellers of products under review. I find wire cutter tests a large variety of products when they do a review and all have click through links (usually to amazon) so amazon pays the same no matter which comes out on top in their reviews. You can of course shop around for lower cost vendors if you decide to go with one of their choices.

Sadly, I think the electronics in cars and the lack of "reliability" is not going to change and may very well be planned obsolesce. It already works great for the cell phone manufacturers so why not cars too? No one really complains anymore when their "old" Apple iPhone 5 doesn't work anymore...geez...it's OLD! It will get to the point that ALL cars have some sort of OS running them, and well if they ALL age out after a number of years, then most of complaining will stop since it will be the new norm. We are seeing how in the technology world, it's all going to a subscription plan...and I think the same will happen with cars.

Sadly, I think the electronics in cars and the lack of "reliability" is not going to change and may very well be planned obsolesce. It already works great for the cell phone manufacturers so why not cars too? No one really complains anymore when their "old" Apple iPhone 5 doesn't work anymore...geez...it's OLD! It will get to the point that ALL cars have some sort of OS running them, and well if they ALL age out after a number of years, then most of complaining will stop since it will be the new norm. We are seeing how in the technology world, it's all going to a subscription plan...and I think the same will happen with cars.
The problem is that people are OK with tossing a smartphone at 5 years, but cars easily last 15, which is an eternity in electronics.

The problem is that people are OK with tossing a smartphone at 5 years...
Not this guy. Both of our phones are Nexus 5, which are at 5-year-old mark. No plan to upgrade or nothin'.

Not this guy. Both of our phones are Nexus 5, which are at 5-year-old mark. No plan to upgrade or nothin'.
Sorry, I should have said "normal people". :D

Surprised it took CR, 17 years, to figure out the Honda Odyssey. Love my 2001 odyssey.
But 4 transmission rebuilds so far. Newer models, still have transmission issues, VCM issues (engine shuts down cylinders to increase mileage). Many more......

Complicated unreliable HVAC systems (simply because of their controls) really ticks me off!

Give me a knob.

Give me a key. A Prius proximity key costs hundreds $$$ to replace. If you lose both its over a k$$$ at the dealership.

The problem is that people are OK with tossing a smartphone at 5 years, but cars easily last 15, which is an eternity in electronics.

When I was a young guy we often replaced the simple AM/FM radio in our cars with aftermarket systems that included things like 8 track or cassette players. We also popped in additional speakers so we could blast our music out to the rest of the world as we drove. When CD's became popular I replaced a cassette unit with a CD and cassette unit for under $200. (OK, not the highest quality gear, but good enough.)

We should be able to replace the simple entertainment and navigation hardware with new improved gear just as easily. The problem as I see it is that the gear is now so integrated physically and electronically that it is difficult to do. Dealer upgrades can cost thousands from what I hear.

When I was a young guy we often replaced the simple AM/FM radio in our cars with aftermarket systems that included things like 8 track or cassette players. We also popped in additional speakers so we could blast our music out to the rest of the world as we drove. When CD's became popular I replaced a cassette unit with a CD and cassette unit for under $200. (OK, not the highest quality gear, but good enough.)

We should be able to replace the simple entertainment and navigation hardware with new improved gear just as easily. The problem as I see it is that the gear is now so integrated physically and electronically that it is difficult to do. Dealer upgrades can cost thousands from what I hear.
It was still possible with my 2010 Subaru. I wanted bluetooth, so I got a new radio. It looks pretty good and fit well using Crutchfield.

Time moves on, and I see the latest models from Subaru or others integrate things so deeply and without any apparent size standard. I think the days of DYI audio upgrades are in the 11th hour.

Back
Top Bottom