Cooking for the 4th of July

Me too - that said, I used to work for a British mega and the July 4th Holiday was commonly known as "Insurrection Day"....:LOL:

I guess perspective does change the way one looks at it....:LOL:

Something else I probably should mention. For decades, DW has been the baked bean cook. She takes regular canned baked beans, doctors them up and bakes them again.

But a couple of years ago we found Bush's Grillin' Beans and like them so well she rarely makes her own any more. I think Bush's is a national brand so I would definitely recommend them. Our favorite is the "Smokehouse Tradition" variety.

Bush's Grillin' Beans

Love those

Charro beans to take to the neighborhood celebration.

This will be our once a year attendance at a neighborhood gathering. We usually avoid potlucks but a couple of serious neighborhood smokers are doing the meat. And with only about 20% of the residents in residence in the heat of the summer it's a much, much smaller gathering.

I usually make pulled pork barbecue but SO has a seriously love of his smoker so we will probably have ribs with homemade coleslaw and Apple pie .We sit on our deck with a drink and watch all the fireworks overlooking Sarsaota Bay .

Pulled pork or ribs! Although this year we are celebrating July 4 in St. John, USVI, so we'll have whatever they're cooking!

I was just informed that I will be the chef of the future. The bride said BBQ tomorrow, Hot dogs , hamburgers, home made cole slaw, and corn on the cob. The kettle grill that I got at 90 % off will now see the light of day. FWIW I payed much more for the chimney starter than i did for the grill, hahaha

Smoked and ate my beef ribs today. Normally do pork ribs and butt. But I've been wanting to try beef ribs ever since eating one at Black's BBQ in Lockhart Tx. One of my favorite BBQ memories of all time. Anyway, this was my first go at it. Turned out very good although I learned a few things. My bark had a little too much pepper in it. But all in all pretty tasty. It's a while before Black's has to start worrying about me. Everyone seemed to like it along with the mac & cheese, green beans, rolls, watermelon, and strawberry homemade ice cream.

IMG_0041.jpg

Smoked and ate my beef ribs today. Normally do pork ribs and butt. But I've been wanting to try beef ribs ever since eating one at Black's BBQ in Lockhart Tx. One of my favorite BBQ memories of all time. Anyway, this was my first go at it. Turned out very good although I learned a few things. My bark had a little too much pepper in it. But all in all pretty tasty. It's a while before Black's has to start worrying about me. Everyone seemed to like it along with the mac & cheese, green beans, rolls, watermelon, and strawberry homemade ice cream.

View attachment 26270

Mmm, they look good.

Personally I am very picky about BBQ and seldom choose to eat it. I know, how un-American! :blush: Especially for an American who lived in Texas for 13 years. Oh well. I liked the BBQ in Texas (like at Tom's BBQ for example) much better than what is available here. Getting BBQ in New Orleans is like getting gumbo in some other state... eww..

There is a BBQ place down in the New Orleans CBD called the Ugly Dog that serves edible BBQ, and I have had BBQ from anonymous roadside vendors that is actually pretty good, but most other BBQ available locally I just can't stand. :yuk:

I don't plan to cook and we haven't picked a restaurant yet, or I'd tell you all about it.

You can always go across Lake Ponchatrain to Ocean Springs, Mississippi to the famous barbeque restaurant--The Shed. It's one of the best anywhere--probably better than any Q in Texas. And they're the nicest people you'll ever meet.

We had our 4h on Sunday when the family met us at our lake house. Our son in law earned 4th place in pork shoulders (out of over 200 entrants) at Memphis in May's barbeque festival and he's all over two barbeque competition circuits. Needless to say, I've got a large container of Q waiting for me tomorrow--with potato salad and first class BBQ Beans.

Reactions: W2R
Easy day today as it's just me and DD2.
Baby back ribs rubbed with citrus adobo from my favorite herb guy North Market Spices, corn on the cob, Cheeseburger, and Bushs Grilling Beans all cooked over charcoal with Apple wood for smoke.

six slabs slow cooked baby back ribs, hot dogs, party potatoes, cole slaw, baked beans, potato salad, watermelon, home made pie!

Having about 30 people over to eat and watch the fireworks over the golf course!

Happy fourth to all!

Back
Top Bottom