Cooking for the 4th of July

braumeister

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
As much as I love England, and I do deeply love it (go there every chance I get), I still like to celebrate Independence Day.

We have so many wonderful cooks here I thought I'd ask for ideas. My concept of a 4th of July meal means something off the grill, and my usual routine is baby back ribs from the Big Green Egg, along with baked beans and corn on the cob. I've never been disappointed with that combo, but I might be missing something.

So, not just for next week but for any summer barbeque meal, what's something you consider special enough that you don't make it as often as you'd like?

BTW, in case your special summer meal is at a restaurant, please feel free to chime in here, but don't forget to tell us where it is!

Ever since I married DW the 4th of July has been spent at her Uncle Ronnie's, who has a home on the Patuxent River near the Naval Air Station and throws a big family party on that day. He has a pier out in the river and has crabs caught in the few days before the 4th. It's a potluck meal, with the usual overflow of food and the traditional hot dogs and hamburgers as well.

If anyone goes away from there hungry it is their own dang fault.

There is nothing better than a food thread. :) It's been a while since we had bison sausage, and I'll check the local Whole Foods to see if they have bison short ribs. Corn on the cob for sure. We've never made baked beans but I'd give it a try this year.

Corned beef. I love it. I used to just get it once a year during the St Patrick's day sales. Now that im loosening up the purse strings, I buy a nice one every few months. The one I still get on sale for St Patrick's tastes a little better, hahahahah.

I'm doing plate beef ribs. The dinosaur sized beef ribs. They are something special and actually pretty simple to smoke on the egg or other smoker. The meat is so different than pork ribs. More like roast or brisket. Very tender and decadent. Can't wait. Will have corn on the cob, angel biscuits, and twice baked potatoes to round things out.

Also, the next day I'm smoking some king mackerel we recently caught off the coast of Florida. Never done it before but looking forward to trying it. Comes out more as a smoked fish appetizer but should be good I hope.

A Brisket, Boston butt and ribs on the smoker with mac salad and potato salad. Independence day is always tasty around here.

I'm going to grill up some steaks on Independence Day. Sometime this summer I'm going to smoke a brisket and pulled pork another day. I had some baked beans with pulled pork in them at an Indiana BBQ place that I want to make soon also.

There's gonna be a lot of king crab around then, but for the 4th I'll think I'll toast a couple wagyu tenderloins.

DW has a colonoscopy the 5th of July. I'm guessing we will be enjoying nothing that day!

If we were doing something, probably fresh salmon and lots of green things. We haven't made deviled eggs in years, I think the Instant Pot helps, time to try that.

As much as I love England, and I do deeply love it (go there every chance I get), I still like to celebrate Independence Day.

Me too - that said, I used to work for a British mega and the July 4th Holiday was commonly known as "Insurrection Day"....:LOL:

I can't top ribs and corn on the cob, with baked beans. My dad used to do barbecue chicken breasts in a rotating basket that I loved. I might add that? My Mom did homemade Lemon Velvet ice cream (her recipe was actually half orange, half lemon) to finish those meals, a great finish to a barbecue meal. I still remember sitting in the garage adding rock salt to the ice, that was my job...

Last edited:
I do BBQ pork ribs, corn on the cob, and the usual baked beans from the can. I always top it off berry crumble and ice cream.

Last edited:
This conversation is making my mouth water. BBQ is one of the few aspects of suburban life and country life that I really miss in the city. No opportunity to cook outdoors except in the park, and that's just too complicated to pursue. Maybe when I retire....

In days of yore, BBQ pork ribs and corn on the cob and grilled steaks and ice cream were always on offer. Nowadays, sigh.... I miss it so at this time of year. Can go and sometimes do go to BBQ restaurants and take-out joints, but it's just not the same. Maybe one of my friends in the suburbs will invite me to his or her backyard feast. [emoji1533]

We host a party that day, so I want make ahead food. I will make up a taco bar with all the fixings, and then I will grill hot dogs and put them in the slow cooker so I don't have to grill while guests are here.

Great themed desert. We have done this several years now. DS's b-day is very close to the fourth and this was his cake 1 year. Along with a plate full of Lobster!

Fruited-Cheesecake Flag
ld104016_0708_flagcover_vert.jpg

Personally I am very picky about BBQ and seldom choose to eat it. I know, how un-American! :blush: Especially for an American who lived in Texas for 13 years. Oh well. I liked the BBQ in Texas (like at Tom's BBQ for example) much better than what is available here. Getting BBQ in New Orleans is like getting gumbo in some other state... eww..

There is a BBQ place down in the New Orleans CBD called the Ugly Dog that serves edible BBQ, and I have had BBQ from anonymous roadside vendors that is actually pretty good, but most other BBQ available locally I just can't stand. :yuk:

However, I do like other traditional Fourth of July foods. Hamburgers, hot dogs, baked beans, corn, coleslaw, watermelon... I'm ready, bring it on. :D

I don't plan to cook and we haven't picked a restaurant yet, or I'd tell you all about it.

Last edited:
I concur. +100

Ribs on the smoker, corn on cob, baked beans, and tater salad. Plenty of home made Zinfandel, America's grape, and home brewed Scotch ale aged in a peated bourbon barrel.

Homemade ice cream for dessert. You don't short change the celebration of Freedom.

Last edited:
Got a buddy who's church is smoking pork ribs. I'm taking the easy way out and buying a slab. I can come up with the sides. Golf in the morning, bbq in the afternoon.....I'll be pretty content.

Usually ribs and oxtails slow cooked in the oven, then sauced and carmelized on the grill. Corn on the cob or corn casserole. Watermelon for dessert. Yum

I find it interesting that so many of you have corn on the cob on Independence Day. Our local sweet corn doesn't come to harvest until August or so... in fact the saying around here in the north country is that corn plants should be "knee high by the 4th of July"... and corn from Florida and other areas down south is so dreadful compared to our delicious local sweet corn that I just don't bother with it.

We usually keep it real simple for the 4th.... hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken (marinated in italian dressing for 24 hours prior to grilling), macaroni salad, potato salad, green salad, etc. Our main celebration will be on 3rd as that is the night of our fireworks but we'll celebrate the 4th as well.

But baked beans sounds like a good addition... I'll have to find the slow cooker and go get some salt pork.

Something else I probably should mention. For decades, DW has been the baked bean cook. She takes regular canned baked beans, doctors them up and bakes them again.

But a couple of years ago we found Bush's Grillin' Beans and like them so well she rarely makes her own any more. I think Bush's is a national brand so I would definitely recommend them. Our favorite is the "Smokehouse Tradition" variety.

Bush's Grillin' Beans

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 7.52.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-29 at 7.52.57 AM.png
    513.2 KB · Views: 17

We have so many wonderful cooks here I thought I'd ask for ideas. My concept of a 4th of July meal means something off the grill, and my usual routine is baby back ribs from the Big Green Egg, along with baked beans and corn on the cob. I've never been disappointed with that combo, but I might be missing something.

So, not just for next week but for any summer barbeque meal, what's something you consider special enough that you don't make it as often as you'd like?

BTW, in case your special summer meal is at a restaurant, please feel free to chime in here, but don't forget to tell us where it is!

For something special, I do brisket in the smoker or prime rib in the smoker. However, I don't do either of those for the 4th of July because we host a party with 40+ people. As such, the 4th is hot dogs, hamburgers, brats, and italian sausage. Then our guests typically brings sides, desserts, salads, chips/dip, etc.

Something else I probably should mention. For decades, DW has been the baked bean cook. She takes regular canned baked beans, doctors them up and bakes them again.

But a couple of years ago we found Bush's Grillin' Beans and like them so well she rarely makes her own any more. I think Bush's is a national brand so I would definitely recommend them. Our favorite is the "Smokehouse Tradition" variety.

Bush's Grillin' Beans

While I had not heard of the Grillin' Beans we are a fan of Bush's... particularly their Maple Cured Bacon baked beans... either doctored up or straight out of the can if we are not ambitious.

f1a1b73efade6ed47aee4a10c646907e.500

Smoke House Tradition Grillin' Beans, add ~2 tbsp honey and a few cut up strips of applewood smoked bacon. Best beans I've had to date :)

Back
Top Bottom