Cooking hard boiled eggs

Older eggs? How do you know how old your eggs are? I bought some today with a "use by date of 9/4, so 36 days away, but how long did the grocer have them? How long do eggs keep anyway? I was always told "if it's bad, you know when you crack it".

Fill a bowl with water. Put the eggs in the cold water. If they go to the bottom and lay flat, then they are fresh. if they sink but stand on the end, they are fine to eat but a bit older. If they float, then they aren't fresh enough to eat.

Fill a bowl with water. Put the eggs in the cold water. If they go to the bottom and lay flat, then they are fresh. if they sink but stand on the end, they are fine to eat but a bit older. If they float, then they aren't fresh enough to eat.

Thanks. I’ll try it!

Just tried the 5-5-5 method in an electric pressure cooker (like an Instant Pot but not that brand.) One cup of water, eggs on a wire trivet. Five minutes of pressure cook, five minutes of slow release, five minutes in an ice water bath.

This was a mixture of older eggs and newish eggs, two sizes. Larger eggs had slightly creamier yolk.

Awesome! Peeled so easily!

Thank you, ER Forumians!

Just tried the 5-5-5 method in an electric pressure cooker (like an Instant Pot but not that brand.) One cup of water, eggs on a wire trivet. Five minutes of pressure cook, five minutes of slow release, five minutes in an ice water bath.

This was a mixture of older eggs and newish eggs, two sizes. Larger eggs had slightly creamier yolk.

Awesome! Peeled so easily!

Thank you, ER Forumians!

I always cook my hard boiled eggs in an Instant Pot now. It isn't necessarily faster, but you can set it and walk away, and they peel so easily!

I always cook my hard boiled eggs in an Instant Pot now. It isn't necessarily faster, but you can set it and walk away, and they peel so easily!
Yes, less work. I think it is also more energy efficient than using my electric range to boil all that water.

Way-overcooked eggs taste good? Interesting.

Well, it works. Honestly, I half expected lumps of rubber from this experiment, so I just made four of them. But they're quite good. Sort of a nutty, biscuity flavor from the Maillard reactions. Most unexpected, but well worth the effort to try it.

Well, it works. Honestly, I half expected lumps of rubber from this experiment, so I just made four of them. But they're quite good. Sort of a nutty, biscuity flavor from the Maillard reactions. Most unexpected, but well worth the effort to try it.

Thanks^^^^
I guess its time to spring for a small instapot. DW has a near-industrial one with all the writing in Korean. and it talks in Hangul as well. Just, no.

I don't think I'll ever make normal boiled eggs again. To do it without a pressure cooker I think you have to simmer them something like 7 hours.

I was a skeptic but I'm finding that the Instant Pot is handy. I enjoy its yogurt too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom