Who eats liver?

I recently discovered Braunschweiger by the brand of John Morrell. Made with pork liver and pork. The taste is very mild. It should be on the shelf at your local grocery store. There's another brand which costs more, but I don't like the taste as much.

It comes in a 1-lb log. I eat it like pâté, spread on toast, accompanied by cornichons, black olives, mustard. Yummy!

Found a photo of it on a blog:

John+Morrell+Braunschweiger.JPG
I like liver pate spread on sourdough bread.

... Once in china I accidentally ordered pork liver and also did not enjoy! So I guess it’s an acquired taste...

I have had pork liver here in the States that is quite gamy. I think it varies with the, ummm..., donor animal. :)

Calf (beef) liver tends to be more reliable.

I like liver pate spread on sourdough bread.

Yes. And to make it more luxurious, I would top it with slices of ham, and a good aged cheddar slice.

Who says you need to spend a lot of money to enjoy food?

Liver was the only food my mom never insisted that I eat. She said that even as a baby, I would spit out the liver baby food that she tried to feed me. She accepted that some tastes just aren't for everyone. Liver was my "kryptonite" food I guess. Everyone else in the family loved liver. Go figure.

I'll eat southern fried chicken liver any old time. Hard to find these days unless you do it yourself.

Besides I have trauma from when my mom was pan frying beef liver and a chunk jumped out of the pan and burned my shoulder. It KNEW I didn't like it and it took its revenge on me. :)

I'll eat southern fried chicken liver any old time. Hard to find these days unless you do it yourself.

Besides I have trauma from when my mom was pan frying beef liver and a chunk jumped out of the pan and burned my shoulder. It KNEW I didn't like it and it took its revenge on me. :)

We still have a few mom and pop places around us that have fried chicken livers. PoFolks had good chicken livers, but there are only a few locations left, all in Florida. Ran across one on vacation and had to stop in for old times sake (and livers of course)

I am making a terrine with ground pork meat and chicken liver today. Have not made it for a while, and had to look up the spices again.

Florida ... grew up eating fried liver and gizzards at the fast food places of the time in small town across the south.

Once I found out that neither of the meats is "good" - and, the method for cooking them is downright "bad" - I stopped - except on very special occasions.

Last year in Portugal - stumbled on moelas - stewed chicken gizzards - and they were wonderful. Then, stumbled on another restaurant that prepared chicken livers and gizzards TOGETHER - in a bubbling hot caldron of extraordinary soupy, sauce - OMG!

Look up "moelas" - BUT, prepare to be overwhelmed :)

BTW - Portugal is everything you have heard - just incredible people!

I recently discovered Braunschweiger by the brand of John Morrell. Made with pork liver and pork. The taste is very mild. It should be on the shelf at your local grocery store. There's another brand which costs more, but I don't like the taste as much.

It comes in a 1-lb log. I eat it like pâté, spread on toast, accompanied by cornichons, black olives, mustard. Yummy!

Found a photo of it on a blog:

John+Morrell+Braunschweiger.JPG

We use that stuff for packing especially nasty tasting dog meds that cheese just doesn't hide enough.

Dogs will eat anything wrapped in Braunschweiger - :)

I’m trying to mostly not eat beef or pork for a few reasons, but make exceptions for something special. Not missing the steaks like I thought I would, but liver and onions sure sounds good to me. Also love chicken livers, fried, with a shallot and wine pan reduction and a salad, so good!

Back
Top Bottom