cost for internet and phone.

frank

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am just talking basic landline phone and about 1.5 mbps of internet speed. I have been paying about 70. a month. started out cheaper but the fees and prices keep creeping up. I was wondering what other people are paying for high speed and if there are any bargains out there. thanks

frank

100 mbps internet from Time Warner Cable is $65 (including taxes) and the "landline" is via Ooma Premier for another $15, so $80 combined. If I just had the basic Ooma service it would be about $10 less, but the extra features of the Premier service makes it worthwhile to me.

$36 for 30Mbps/5Mbps and about $4/month for basic Ooma VOIP landline. For the basic service they only charge the required taxes and access fees. This is enough for my needs. For Ooma one needs to get there converter box (effectively an ATA).
Not technically a landline, but acts mostly like one.

bingybear: who is your carrier?

wow (wide open west). Ooma for phone... this should work with any internet provider providing they bandwidth is high enough and the internet provider does not actively block ATA's or needed ports.

$39/mo for 5mbps internet (dsl), no land line, $10/mo cell

I have a triple-play package from Optimum which includes cable TV along with internet and landline phone. The internet (60 mbps) and phone cost $65 although the phone is slightly discounted because I am in the bundled package.

$39.95 monthly for 50mbps, no landline. Carrier was Time Warner, now Charter after recent acquisition.

Cell phones are $30 (me) for 1000 talk/text and $45 (DH) for unlimited talk/text, plus 5GB data. I should probably look around for a better deal for my basic phone cell plan, since we have no plans to become a dual Smart phone household anytime soon. Between DH's Smart phone and my Kindle Fire, I/we are as connected as we care to be.

Landline - less than $5/month with magic jack. (And then we forward our landline to google voice - since 99.9999% of calls are sales/robo calls - but we can dial out anytime.)

Internet - it's bundled with our cable tv... our total bill is just under $100/month. We have turbo speed internet.

how are you connecting into the phone network without FCC/fed tax?

google voice.. I assume

Yes, there are no taxes for the phone. There may be a few tax $ for internet, but I also have cable tv (for around $100), and although it's not a "bundle" price, there are added "combined taxes and fees", so I'm not sure how much internet taxes alone would cost. I've looked into cutting the cord, but want to keep DW happy.

I've been very happy with GV, though I find it confusing at times to keep track of where messages and phone history are found. Some things are in Hangouts, some in voice.google.com, and some messages are left on the cordless phone. I forward my GV calls to my Android, which makes messages and SMS a bit more perplexing. And I have it set so voice mails are transcribed and emailed to me, but I wish it was all a bit more coherent and consistent.

But I lovelovelove the phone spam filtering.

We transferred our land line to a cell phone years ago. It is currently on a $0/month plan on RingPlus.net. I have it on a basic feature phone that needs to be charged once every 3 weeks or so. The phone basically stays in our house, but we can take it with us if needed. We also do not get many calls on the home phone anymore. Mostly for family.

Internet is with Midcontinent. $42.95/month for 50mb, no bandwidth cap.

For me:

$39.93/month - Comcast (basic internet),
$60/month - Landline (AT&T), unlimited nationwide calling (yeah, I know, old fashioned).
$0/month - OTA TV

Last edited:
We have AT&T Uverse...inclusive of taxes, $54.42 per month (Internet 24; 18-24Mbps/1.5-3Mbps). No landline but use a Bluetooth phone that pairs with our Republic Wireless cell phone (about $15/month).

$98 per month for landline with long distance and 30 Mbps upload and download for me.

I am just talking basic landline phone and about 1.5 mbps of internet speed. I have been paying about 70. a month. started out cheaper but the fees and prices keep creeping up. I was wondering what other people are paying for high speed and if there are any bargains out there. thanks

frank

After years of procrastinating, I dropped my landline when I moved into my Dream House in 2015. I haven't missed it a bit. I still have my cell phone but no landline. If you are trying to cut costs for your internet and landline, my biggest suggestion would be to drop the landline like a hot potato and rely just on your cell phone instead. Believe me, you will not miss your landline for an instant. I would not even pay $1/month for a landline, now that I have experienced life without it.

As for internet, Cox Cable charges $77.99 for mid level internet service here which is what I chose. This service provides up to 50 Mbps download and up to 5 Mbps upload. Their lowest level of internet is 15 Mbps download and 2 Mbps upload, better than what you specified, but even that is $62.99/month. Everybody here uses Cox Cable because of lack of competition.

Frank and I each pay $77.99/month for mid level internet, separately. In a pinch I suppose we could split the cost with one of us piggybacking off the other's wireless network, since we live so close, but we aren't doing that right now (except occasionally/rarely, when troubleshooting).

25 MB internet, 39.99 via Comcast. Magic jack for landline, soon to be Google Voice just to save the number.

Phones, $70 + $20 + $20 = $110+tax from Verizon, less my 15% veterans discount of $10.50.

My combined bill (TWC, or whatever they're called these days) was $195.xx. Dumped cable and phone, so internet w/o a "bundle" is ~ $63. That's got to be a cash cow...

3 meg DSL and 2 land lines. Unlimited free LD in the US and all features included for ~$95 a month including taxes.

$55 total. $50 for Google Fiber (100Mb up / 100Mb down) and < $5 for Ooma basic telephone (used primarily so I don't need to give out my cell phone number). The "Sentry" box keeps that phone from ringing from robocalls.

Just dumped TimeWarner or whatever name they're trying to confuse us with lately.

Centurylink internet: $38.95/month for two years.
Ting for cell phone: about $15-20/month if I don't use much data (I don't). After some debate I cut the landline last spring and don't miss it at all. I love Ting.

Frontier Communications $108/month for the landline and DSL internet. This includes unlimited long distance in North America (DW talks a lot on the phone and everyone is long distance) and some other features that we rarely use. We keep the landline because cell phone coverage is spotty and often does not work well at home.

Back
Top Bottom