Join Early Retirement Today

Cutting a quartz side-splash
Old 08-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cutting a quartz side-splash

I have two side splashes, about 21" long x 4" wide x 3/4" thick.
The material is quartz composite. It is flecked with stones throughout.

Need to cut off a small piece from the ends, maybe 1/4". So this is a cut across the 4" width of the side-splash.

Has anyone done this? I know this should be done with a wet saw, but thinking it might be ok to make this small of a cut with a masonry blade in table saw or cutoff saw.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why wouldn't you use a wet saw? You can buy them for ~ $50 - I've got one that I figured would barely get me through a small job, and I've done about 5 projects plus some small jobs with it.

Or you might take it to a tile shop to be cut.

If you have some scrap to test on, you might get away with an abrasive cut-off wheel. I'd take very shallow cuts, and let them cool in-between each pass, and make an animal sacrifice to the quartz composite gods for good measure.

-ERD50

Old 08-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Why wouldn't you use a wet saw? You can buy them for ~ $50 - I've got one that I figured would barely get me through a small job, and I've done about 5 projects plus some small jobs with it.

If you have some scrap to test on, you might get away with an abrasive cut-off wheel. I'd take very shallow cuts, and let them cool in-between each pass, and make an animal sacrifice to the quartz composite gods for good measure.

-ERD50
I love this answer.

We have a wet saw - so that's what we'd use. But I'd also be giving sacrifice to the quartz composite gods. Some of the composites are harder than stone - the resins are pretty impressive.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #4

I'm familiar with some natural stone tile (installed about 220 sq ft on the walls/floors of my bathroom and threshhold, and about 20 ft on my kitchen backsplashes), but not quartz.

When you say it's a 'composite', is it resin-based, or more like terrazzo, where they take chips and cement them together with a concrete-like substance? If the latter, then lots of dust will be flying out, and you'll definitely want to have a wet saw, not only for dust control, but the blade can sometimes chip small flecks off if you try doing it dry (speaking from experience here). While quartz/granite are hard materials, natural stone can sometimes do funny things you don't expect.

Especially when you have just 1 more inch to cut on a 20 inch cut, and have to suddenly come up with Plan B (again, speaking from experience).

I wouldn't bother taking the chance doing it dry, because Murphy will likely rain on your parade somewhere, somehow.

Also, is that masonry blade a diamond-tipped blade? I know quartz is hard, but I don't know how your specific piece compares to solid granite. You don't want to try cutting something super hard with a whimpy blade not suited for the task. A very sharp, hard diamond-tipped blade will cut with a fine edge.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
I'm familiar with some natural stone tile (installed about 220 sq ft on the walls/floors of my bathroom and threshhold, and about 20 ft on my kitchen backsplashes), but not quartz.

When you say it's a 'composite', is it resin-based, or more like terrazzo, where they take chips and cement them together with a concrete-like substance? If the latter, then lots of dust will be flying out, and you'll definitely want to have a wet saw, not only for dust control, but the blade can sometimes chip small flecks off if you try doing it dry (speaking from experience here). While quartz/granite are hard materials, natural stone can sometimes do funny things you don't expect.

Especially when you have just 1 more inch to cut on a 20 inch cut, and have to suddenly come up with Plan B (again, speaking from experience).

I wouldn't bother taking the chance doing it dry, because Murphy will likely rain on your parade somewhere, somehow.

Also, is that masonry blade a diamond-tipped blade? I know quartz is hard, but I don't know how your specific piece compares to solid granite. You don't want to try cutting something super hard with a whimpy blade not suited for the task. A very sharp, hard diamond-tipped blade will cut with a fine edge.
Picture attached. The manufacturer's page is here:
US Marble // Stone Colors & Products
Quote:
Engineered Stone Quartz is approximately 93% crushed or ground natural quartz and 7% stain-resistant polymer resins. The resulting product is extremely durable; a low-maintenance, versatile product combining many of the best features of Natural Stone and Cultured Products. Its non-porous surface is highly resistant to scratching, bacteria, mold, corrosion, stains, and never requires the sealing that Natural Stone Granite and Marble demand.
I have access to a wet tile cutter (2nd picture below), but that might just do thin tile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-08-10 16.44.03.jpg (410.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 9KyYQWHldQ95BM_.jpg (4.8 KB, 88 views)
Old 08-10-2014, 03:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

I'm looking for a wet saw that costs $50. That would be a time saver.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:09 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Check Harbor Freight.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:26 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Check Harbor Freight.
4-1/2 in. Tile Saw with Wet Tray

Cuts up to 7/8"

I used a very similar saw to cut a backsplash of 1/2" material. It worked very well. It won't cut fast, though, so don't force it. Patience...
Old 08-10-2014, 04:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
4-1/2 in. Tile Saw with Wet Tray

Cuts up to 7/8"

I used a very similar saw to cut a backsplash of 1/2" material. It worked very well. It won't cut fast, though, so don't force it. Patience...
Thanks. That is similar to the picture I posted above.
This cuts from below, and doesn't look like you can adjust the height. So you went all the way through on a cross cut, I'm assuming.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:33 PM   #10

Here is a handheld wet saw. $89 at HD.
Ryobi TC400 Handheld Tile Saw-TC400 at The Home Depot

Gonna check their tool rental location tomorrow. I only need to make two shorter cuts.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Thanks. That is similar to the picture I posted above.
This cuts from below, and doesn't look like you can adjust the height. So you went all the way through on a cross cut, I'm assuming.
Yup. Nothing fancy. Just making it fit. Git 'er done...
Old 09-05-2014, 07:07 AM   #12

I borrowed a friend's motorized tile cutter (Chicago brand - this friend is truly a best friend). Also bought a new diamond blade, and had excellent results. It took a bit of time to set up something stable, but workmates came to rescue. A went around each piece with a red line, to make sure the side splashes had straight edges. After that, I clamped the piece to craftsman table saw mitre gauge. That allowed me to set up a square piece, and reliably push the material through the saw blade. I also used packaging tape around the piece to reduce material flying out. Water was a key ingredient, and I controlled what was flying off the blade by tilting the guard down, and had a sizable sponge on the piece to catch most of the water being cast off the piece into my face.

The cutoff waste pieces are 1/2" and 3/8" thick. My cutoffs were much smoother than the unpolished factory edges. The actual cutoff time was much shorter than I thought initially. Maybe a few minutes for each piece, taking care to just let the saw do most of the work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0494.JPG (61.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0497.JPG (70.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0499.JPG (72.2 KB, 7 views)