Drywall Repair

f35phixer

Full time employment: Posting here.
Had master bath blown up, Shower walls, floor, new quartz counter top......

Old counter top had towers on each side, new counter top was pretty so DW said not needed..

So there was some spackling that needed to be done. This left walls smooth vise ~32 years of painting which had a dimpled effect if you understand the visual.

How can I replicate the small dimpled look? Have tried smooth coat of spackle and then use a sponge to give kinda dimple look and then wet sand when dry. Not to happy with look !

Any other possible solutions?

On a recent drywall repair (very large area), I purchased a can of orange peel texture from Home Depot and sprayed the entire wall for uniformity. Came out beautifully; not one of about six people could identify where the actual repair was.

Might help to post a photo of the issue but one option is to texture the entire wall to get a new consistent look across the wall and cover up the dimples, then repaint. I think it would be harder to try and replicate just the dimple pattern. I've used the spray can texture mentioned above and it works but does take some practice, old cardboard boxes are good to practice on. You have to let the spray on texture set for a few minutes before knocking it down.

Last edited:
Dry wall repair is one of those things that you’ll never be happy with. We’ve had repairs done over the years and it always shows in one way or another. Short of redoing an entire wall or room, it will never look great.

I've had some luck using a coarse roller and rolling just the patch with thick paint, sometimes a few coats. You have to feather it near the border of the patch, maybe with a dry 3" roller. Then paint the whole wall.

My drywall patch was smooth. The fix was in simulating coats of paint.

I vote for the spray on orange peel. I have some waiting for me to get motivated to paint. Just do the best you can and never look at it so close again once it is done. It will be fine.

I had the wiring replaced in my house so every room in my house has patches. The paint I bought did not match at all. Thanks Lowes. When I have the house repainted (lottery every Wednesday) j/k I want to make sure they address that problem.
Do you think spray on paint does a different texture than roller application? Which is the best.?

I think you're going to have to do the whole wall and then repaint. You could do a skim coat of mud, then prime and paint or use a combination primer/paint.

Or instead of skim coating just roll the entire wall with mud diluted with a little water so it is the consistency of really thick paint.

Scratching my head, Is this a bathroom remodel that youre doing the actual work on?
or hired professionals?

As stated those dimples that you want to see isnt from years of paint. Its an actual texture that is sprayed over the drywall mud...
Its orange peel texture sprayed out of a texture spray gun & hopper, or as stated a DIY spray can for small repair jobs....
Not smooth skip troweled.
Issue is matching & blending is a work of art & to do it right especially in a large area takes skill..
I hate texture that doesnt match!!!
Theres guys that specialize in everything drywall, repairs, patches, matching textures, etc..

IF the original wall has no texture, and the "dimples" are only from roller paint, I personally would never add more texture to the whole wall like rolled mud or spray texture.

That's me.

It is a one way street once you start doing this.

I still vote for building up the patch only and feathering it into the rest of the wall. Then painting the whole wall.

/http://imgur.com/1E7wgWm

Here is photo of what i call dimples.

House has never been spray painted, always rollers. 31 years, few different colors.

Talked to my Mr. Fix it buddy and he said try putting two coats on...

Last edited:
Here are simple dimples....

Attachments

• IMG_2338.jpg
    IMG_2338.jpg
    638.6 KB · Views: 21
IF the original wall has no texture, and the "dimples" are only from roller paint, I personally would never add more texture to the whole wall like rolled mud or spray texture.

That's me.

It is a one way street once you start doing this.

I still vote for building up the patch only and feathering it into the rest of the wall. Then painting the whole wall.

Yes i think it's just roller dimples...

Going to do a two coat coverage.

Yes i think it's just roller dimples...

Going to do a two coat coverage.

Looks like a knock down finish with several coats of paint. Getting that texture with paint alone would be difficult.

roger, guess that was original texture huh? Along with the popcorn ceilings, that I have filtered out of my brain... Easy to cover poor workmanship:confused:? Townhome built in late 80's, but we love it and location.

We'll see what couple coats of paint will do

roger, guess that was original texture huh? Along with the popcorn ceilings, that I have filtered out of my brain... Easy to cover poor workmanship:confused:? Townhome built in late 80's, but we love it and location.

We'll see what couple coats of paint will do

That does look like more than just texture from a roller (back in the 80's). The thing is about drywall and painting is that if you look at it, you WILL find issues. DW and I know where all of our minor issues are with paint in the this house (4 years old). Not even one person who has come over to our house notices anything. If you look, you will find. Not saying don't try. Of course DW wants you to try. Just saying don't let perfect be the enemy of good enough.

Thanks All, Think I solved issue.... Use the correct nap roller you used before, Dumb Butt !!!!

3/8" will work fine covering up drywall repairs..... After two coats S/B fine...

DAWG, we still need to have a lunch get together...

when you available?

I wouldn’t use that on a smooth wall with paint.

Did you see the photo OP attached showing his wall? Anything but smooth. This roller might work. They sell a few different types that go from smooth to extremely textured. Might have to try a few different ones or experiment with the spray texture.

Did you see the photo OP attached showing his wall? Anything but smooth. This roller might work. They sell a few different types that go from smooth to extremely textured. Might have to try a few different ones or experiment with the spray texture.
The OPs wall is knockdown with paint. I would go buy a can of orange peel, spray it, run a putty knife over it and paint it. Doing it any other way is getting away from how it was originally applied will create a completely different look which only makes the repair look worse.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom