dead computer

Ronstar

Moderator Emeritus
My mac (imac g5) is 4 years old and suddenly shut off and wont turn back on. I had a new motherboard and 2 new hard drives installed during the extended warranty period that has now expired. Lately, it has been slow accessing web pages.

I'm thinking of bringing it to the Apple Store and have their techs see if can be fixed inexpensively. If not, I'm prepared to buy a new one. I have the Apple Time machine backup where everything should be backed up on the external drive. If I get a new one, how do I erase my data off the hard drive if it won't turn on? :(

Supposed to be some good deals on "Black Friday" in the computer world. And there was an article somewhere that said the Apple Stores would match Apple resellers discounts.

try the PSU reset first - you can find instructions on the apple site with a bit of searching.

Also, if this is the same G5 I have, it is very easy to get to the hard drive and physically remove it.

-ERD50

try the PSU reset first - you can find instructions on the apple site with a bit of searching.

Also, if this is the same G5 I have, it is very easy to get to the hard drive and physically remove it.

-ERD50

Thanks! - I googled, found the support page, went through the diagnostics that included the reset and no go. The support pages says I need a new logic board.

External hard drives have gotten very cheap--Tomorrow (Black Friday) you can buy a 160BG unit for $50 at Circuit City. I'd think about doing that before spending $30 for a dock that would let me re-use a 3YO hard drive.

External hard drives have gotten very cheap--Tomorrow (Black Friday) you can buy a 160BG unit for $50 at Circuit City. I'd think about doing that before spending $30 for a dock that would let me re-use a 3YO hard drive.

I already have an external drive, but I'm considering the dock if I can't get my data back from my backup. I have restored my system 2 or 3 times from the Mac "time machine" without a hitch, so I don't think I'll have a problem, but its good to know there's a safety net out there.

I already have an external drive, but I'm considering the dock if I can't get my data back from my backup. I have restored my system 2 or 3 times from the Mac "time machine" without a hitch, so I don't think I'll have a problem, but its good to know there's a safety net out there.
Gotcha. Makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom