Definition of kilocorp?

Tom52

Full time employment: Posting here.
I have often seen reference to megacorp employers but have recently seen references to kilocorp. Nothing comes up in a Google search. So anyone that uses kilocorp to reference previous employers, what do you mean?

I interpreted it loosely as a company that is somewhat smaller than a "megacorp" - however big that is.

I figured a kilocorp was simply a megacorp x 10-3 power. IOW, a small company.

Let it be written in the annals that the term was invented in this forum.

I saw someone using the word "kilocorp" on the thread about work Christmas parties. It made so much sense to me, so I immediately adopted it.

Megacorps where I worked had an employment roster of up to 100,000 worldwide. Any single plant may have 2000-5000 employees.

A kilocorp may have perhaps 2,000-5,000 employees total, and a single location may have less than 500 employees.

The start-ups I was involved with would have to be called microcorps, with employees numbering in the low double-digit range. They dwindled down to single-digit range when we closed shop.

I think I started this. I just extended the term down by a power of 10. Why not? I'm figuring a company with less than 10k employees.

For less than 100, I like the idea of Microcorp too.

My old Co. that I've repeatedly described as a microcorp had about 40 employees.

I worked for a megacorp with over 50,000 employees, a few with maybe 2,000 each, a couple with 100-200, and one with 5. I think I used the term kilo for the middle one, and micro for the smallest one. Very different environments.

For most of my career I worked for a gigacorp (federal government).

Then for a microcorp (startup with fewer than 30 total employees).

Then a kilocorp that was later bought by a megacorp.

Then a nanocorp as a freelance consultant.

So I think I covered all the bases pretty well! :LOL:

For most of my career I worked for a gigacorp (federal government).

Then for a microcorp (startup with fewer than 30 total employees).

Then a kilocorp that was later bought by a megacorp.

Then a nanocorp as a freelance consultant.

So I think I covered all the bases pretty well! :LOL:

And now, we enjoy life as a nega-corp! :)

-ERD50

And now, we enjoy life as a nega-corp! :)

-ERD50

LOL, best one yet!

But wait. Those of us who RE now ALL work for the same nega-corp. Which brings us back up to ... oh no! ... a Mega-Corp!

Back
Top Bottom