Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-16-2015, 08:48 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If my memory is correct (which I can't guarantee ), my desktop originally had a 300 watt PSU, but when adding a graphics card, there wasn't enough juice so I switched to an older 400 watt. The 450 watter (will arrive tomorrow) should be fine.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2015, 05:27 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Update...

Unfortunately, it looks like the problem is more than just my power supply.

I think the CPU got fried too.

Now I'm weighing my options. Since my pc is a crappy used Dell, my thought is to get a cheap replacement on ebay of the Dell, then just restore from my image copy.

Desktop Power Supply Died
Old 05-17-2015, 06:41 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Desktop Power Supply Died

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Update...

Unfortunately, it looks like the problem is more than just my power supply.

I think the CPU got fried too.

Now I'm weighing my options. Since my pc is a crappy used Dell, my thought is to get a cheap replacement on ebay of the Dell, then just restore from my image copy.

Good luck! I also have a Dell (not used) that I wonder if the power supply hasn't seen better days. I didn't know that Dell had (or has?) a penchant for using non-standard components.

It's not high on my priority list, but I've checked out everything else and am glad to have a full backup of files now.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:40 PM   #24

It's not uncommon for the mobo/cpu to get fried when the PSU goes out. Emachines were well known for that. Dell has been using standard PSU for a while ( sometimes odd form factors ) but they used actually have non standard connections to the mobo that could fry things. Dells usually have some diagnostic lights on the chassis or mobo , check those. Do any of the fans come on.

Ebay is great to get a nice offlease refurb. I picked up some used HP xw4600 workstations, 500GBHD, Quadcore CPU, 8GB ram for $50 each ( parts worth more than that ) an resold them
Old 05-17-2015, 08:28 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

The pc would try to turn on for about a half second, then automatically shut off. Fans don't come one. I do have a test card which plugs into a PCI slot and the code returned indicated no power to the CPU.

I went ahead and ordered a used PC from ebay (same model as the Dell I have), with no OS. (For about $50). I'm hoping, with that I can just transplant all my stuff (hard drives, DVD burner, graphics card, memory) to that computer, then do a restore of my system and data from Macrium Reflect image copies.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:36 PM   #26

Quote:
I went ahead and ordered a used PC from ebay (same model as the Dell I have), with no OS. (For about $50). I'm hoping, with that I can just transplant all my stuff (hard drives, DVD burner, graphics card, memory) to that computer, then do a restore of my system and data from Macrium Reflect image copies.
If it is the same model all you should have to do is swap the parts into it. Shouldn't have to reload anything ( unless your HD died ).
Old 05-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
If it is the same model all you should have to do is swap the parts into it. Shouldn't have to reload anything ( unless your HD died ).
Good point.

Thanks for keeping me honest and not over thinking things.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:46 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Okay. So I realized, the one I ordered has a faster CPU. Other than that, it should be the same.

I'm thinking, regardless of whether I get one with a faster CPU or not, won't I probably be having to reactivate Windows since the physical motherboard will be different?

I went ahead I ordered a CPU of the same as what I had and a replacement MB. Now I have a plan B if needed, plus they were pretty inexpensive and I'm kinda in the mood to tinker.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:33 PM   #29

There is an algorithm that triggers the activation based on hardware changes, usually it requires multiple changes to trigger.

But since you have a OEM machine ( Dell ) and replaced it with a product from the same OEM it shouldn't make a diff what was changed. The OEM will auto activate. If you have a retail version of windows that you bought, then you might have to reenter the product code.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:49 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I'll probably go for the path of least resistance first along with the machine with the faster CPU.

But I had an offer I couldn't refuse , ordering a motherboard for about $18 and a replacement cpu for about $7 off ebay.

I was curious to see how burnt, if any the cpu on my fried motherboard was. So today, I took off the heat sink. But the thermal paste was so tight that the CPU came off with the heat sink instead of staying at the cpu socket. Upon examination, the CPU didn't look too burnt (unlike others I've fried before ), but in yanking off the heat sink and trying to put that back on, I bent several of the pins (sucks having old eyes that I can't see up close like a few years ago!).
Old 05-20-2015, 10:21 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I'm now on Plan C...waiting for a replacement motherboard and CPU.

Plan B (installing on a check no-OS computer) didn't work as I ended up spending 3 hrs doing the ram stick shuffle...trying to get the ram slots to see my ram sticks properly .
Old 05-20-2015, 11:42 AM   #32

What PC model is this?
Old 05-20-2015, 12:36 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
What PC model is this?
Dell Optiplex 740 tower.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dell.jpg (45.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 05-20-2015, 12:43 PM   #34

Quote:
Dell Optiplex 740 tower.
I recall mucking about with one of those last year. Details are kinda fuzzy, but I recall memory, cpu and fan problems. Eventually I just tossed it after hours of learning nothing.

I think that was an AMD cpu?
Old 05-20-2015, 12:51 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I recall mucking about with one of those last year. Details are kinda fuzzy, but I recall memory, cpu and fan problems. Eventually I just tossed it after hours of learning nothing.

I think that was an AMD cpu?
Yeah.. I have a AMD cpu.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:21 PM   #36

Quote:
I'm now on Plan C...waiting for a replacement motherboard and CPU.

Plan B (installing on a check no-OS computer) didn't work as I ended up spending 3 hrs doing the ram stick shuffle...trying to get the ram slots to see my ram sticks properly .
What exactly was the memory problem ? I've refurbed a few optiplex, don't recall a memory issue ( assuming the correct memory being used ). Only trick is it uses matched pairs ( slot 1 & slot 2 [ one in each bank ]) , or a single DIMM in slot 1
Old 05-21-2015, 08:18 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What exactly was the memory problem ? I've refurbed a few optiplex, don't recall a memory issue ( assuming the correct memory being used ). Only trick is it uses matched pairs ( slot 1 & slot 2 [ one in each bank ]) , or a single DIMM in slot 1
I never got past the memory issue on that board. As mentioned I tried for 3 hrs and even used four 1GB chips, one in each slot but still the board wasn't happy. Perhaps the memory slots on that board is no good.

I got another MB from another order to try and am waiting for the CPU to arrive (Fri and Sat). Then it's is time to roll up my sleeves and try again. I'm hoping, I just put in the memory, and no fuss no muss. We shall see....
Old 05-21-2015, 09:40 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

So you went from psu to cpu and then ram. Not likely that all three went kaput. You know for sure the power supply went out because that is usually the only thing that could possible "pop" and give you that electrical burnt smell, but you already know that. Since you're starting practically from scratch, you're better off, and hopefully you got lintel chip this time. True, you don't need to overkill with the specs unless you are playing games, doing CAD or animation. You can actually do quite a bit with the lower end system and then replace it in another two years or so if you outgrow it. If you don't plan to drive on the autobahn, then don't waste your money on a Ferrari--unless you just want to look pretty! Have fun building your system...
Old 05-22-2015, 06:00 AM   #39

Sometimes memory fits the physical slot, but no go. I think 1GB sticks were beyond the specs for that 740 optiplex.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:43 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sometimes memory fits the physical slot, but no go. I think 1GB sticks were beyond the specs for that 740 optiplex.
I think the optiplex takes up to 8 GB of ram. Before the PSU problem, my computer had two 2 GB memory sticks and two 1 GB memory sticks installed.