Dial-up sux! BPL anyone?

BOBOT

Recycles dryer sheets
Once again we have a lot of noise on our (SPrint) line, making a normally slow dial-up connection almost unusable. We live sort of in the boonies & too far from a node to get DSL , and sattelite is more $ than I want to spend for occaisional usage (few hrs/week) at home.

So for the time being we're stuck. But the good news is that our electric co-op is rolling out a service of high-speed broadband OVER THE POWERLINES! I have no idea how it works, but think it's very cool. Plug your 'puter (or network router thing) into any elec. socket & you're connected. And only $30/ month for unlimited service plus mail accounts, etc.

DOn't know when we'll be getting it, but I hope it's by the time I no longer have an alternate (work) machine to use--Jan. '07!

Does anyone have this service or know anything about it?

Forgot to say that BPL is "Broadband over Power Line".
Duh.

I live in the boonies too..population about 800 and only 200 or so households...nobody is itching to bring cable or DSL out this way anytime soon.

I finally had a business class Direcway (hughesnet) dish installed 3 months ago, and while its not w/out occiassional problems (i.e. weather related), I usually attain speeds of 1300K downloads and 200K or better uploads..previously I was on a 19.2K dial-up line.

Its not cheap - $999 installation/equipment plus $99 a month, but there ar eno other options out my way.

Bobot,
Keep us posted on the new thing! We, too, have dial up and an electric cooperative out in the boonies and hold out hope that this could come our way soon. Thanks!
Sarah

wow. cool technology. interesting reading...

Back
Top Bottom