Latest cheap emergency cell phone deal

cute fuzzy bunny

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This one is very slightly more risky than the last couple I found. I bought this one, so far so good. That brings me up to three emergency cells I've gotten in the last ~16 months; the at&t free2go phone that cost me $25 for ~300 minutes that lasted all 16 months (still have 45 to use up); the t-mobile togo phone that was $39 AR and 100 for 1000 minutes that wont expire for a year (900 to go), and this one that is free after rebate and minutes dont expire, so that'll cost me $25 for a year or so.

$189 for three cell phones for 1+ year emergency/"hey whadda ya want at the grocery store"/"I'm gonna be late" calls. And I still have about $90 worth of viable minutes to use out of that $189.

Go here:
http://www.cheapphonecards.com/cccart/customer/home.php?cat=77

This is a great place to get prepaid phone cards and prepaid mobile service. I bought my t-mobile $100 card here for ~$89 after coupons. They always have 3-4 coupon codes floating around, check fatwallet's hot deals forum for the latest.

Right now they've teamed up with STIMobile, a sprint reseller, to offer a nice prepaid package.

Whats prepaid? You buy a dollar or minute card for a phone that you usually have to buy and pay for yourself, and are charged a dollar/minute or flat minute rate as you use the phone. The trick is generally expiration of the minutes; most plans expire the minutes after 30-90 days unless you 'recharge' the phone with more minutes. It can be a hassle and can end up costing you close to the regular el cheapo $19/month basic cell phone plans.

Thats why I look for ones where the minutes last a year and/or minutes dont expire at all with some small caveats.

The original at&t deal had you buy a free after rebate phone (an excellent deal for a prepaid), put $25 on it, and they'd automatically add 20 minutes every month and keep rolling your unused minutes forward, for one year. It was too good to be true. I think it was to pump up subscriber numbers pending their purchase by cingular. It was actually 16 months that they kept adding 20 minutes and rolling the minutes.

If you have one of those at&t tdma type phones, or can buy a old 'free2go' phone from ebay, gobeyondwireless.com will resell you cingulars service for a cheap ~10c a minute rate with minutes that never expire as long as you make a call for one minute (in or out) every 60 days. Check this on their web site to make sure that hasnt changed to 45 or 90, these things are a little fluid. That means $25 can last you something like 3-5 years as long as all you make are 'ping' calls. Perfect for the glove compartment emergency car cell phone or one you carry in your bag in case all hell breaks loose.

t-mobiles service is a fine simple plan. You buy a phone for ~40. Target, walmart sell them at this price, and others try to sell them to you for $80 with a $40 rebate. Why bother. $100 'cards' can be bought for ~$90 at various places, and $100 cards make your minutes last a year. Even smaller amounts you buy subsequent to that which normally only last 90 days are granted the 1 year status once you've applied a $100 card. If you apply a second $100 card just before the year on the first card expires, all of your minutes are rolled over for a second year...but I think I recall that the fine print said that $100/1 year minutes can only be rolled over once.

On this STI mobile/cheapphonecards deal, they are reselling sprint minutes. Sprint (last time I checked) doesnt offer a prepaid deal, so they resell their network capacity to companies like stimobile and virgin mobile. The one downside to this is that sprints network is not as widespread as some others, so check their crappy and hard to read coverage map to make sure you have coverage, and/or check with your local sprint store to see if they cover your area. If you dont HAVE a sprint store, thats a tip off.

You buy an LG 5225 color flip phone (no camera) with leather case and car charger for $105 or the plain phone and wall charger for $89, and get $89 back in rebate. Its a BIG rebate, and you MUST submit it within 14 days of ordering the phone, you MUST activate it with stimobile, and you MUST keep it activated with them for at least several months. But in essence its a free phone, and thats the holy grail of prepaid cell phones. Use the coupon code "paymecell" or "payme20" or "payme25" to get 20% off the package, making the $105 package 2 free, or you might actually make a few dollars on the package 1 phone.

Minutes through stimobile are like beyondwireless minutes, they stay in effect as long as you make or receive at least one call every 60 days. Also a great deal.

They have two service plans. If you know anyone that lives in a foreign country, plan #2 is an incredible deal.

PLAN 1 - .10 Nights/Weekends & .12 Days with low direct dial international rates. Complete International rates:
http://www.stimobile.com/ServicePlans.aspx

PLAN 2 - .18 Domestic and FREE INTERNATIONAL CALLS to over 200 countries including Vietnam and India. You just pay the .18 airtime charge. International rate list for plan two: http://www.stimobile.com/plan2rates.aspx

The phone is allegedly a good one, only complaint so far is weak battery life of about 3 days standby on a full charge. I leave mine connected to the charger all the time so I dont care. If stimobile goes out of business, it shouldnt be rocket science to get virgin mobile or sprint to let you use it on their network instead.

Only risk is they go out of business before they pay your rebate. So far they're selling phones like hotcakes for some time now, and they've been paying the rebates in a timely manner.

I switched from Sprint to tmobile to go last week, and couldn't be happier :) <$9/mo for service for ~100 minutes/month. The amazing thing was the number porting.... it took 15 seconds. They also canceled my sprint account for me. Sweet.

Oh yeah, one other thing. The one 'problem' with gobeyondwireless.com is that they only offer phone numbers in a handful of states...florida, minnesota, illinois and texas among them. This isnt a problem for outgoing calls as the 'minutes' include bundled long distance, but anyone calling YOU will have to pay a long distance fee if you dont live in the same state as the number you get. You can ask for any area code they support. Although I live in CA, my # on that phone is for Ft Lauderdale. I'm on spring break!

Not an issue for me, as I never give anyone my emergency cell #, and a deterrent to call for someone who does snag the # off of caller ID.

See here for states/area code coverage for them
http://www.gobeyondwireless.com/ratecenter.html

Couple of old free2go phones that will work with beyond wireless:
http://tinyurl.com/blwec
http://tinyurl.com/dsukv

Yes, I know the URLs are long and are forcing you to employ the excruciably painful task of scrolling to the right. I dont care. ;) :p

EDIT: Modified to shorten URL, something th is apparently too lazy to do. ;)

Marshac said:
I switched from Sprint to tmobile to go last week, and couldn't be happier :) <$9/mo for service for ~100 minutes/month. The amazing thing was the number porting.... it took 15 seconds. They also canceled my sprint account for me. Sweet.

What is the name of that plan? I didn't see it on their site.

dex said:
What is the name of that plan? I didn't see it on their site.

$100 prepaid card. You get 1000 minutes and 250 'bonus minutes' which are good for 1 year.

http://www.tmobile.com/prepaid/overview.asp

Buy a phone, buy a $100 card from cheapphonecards with a discount and coupon, add it to the phone. Phone service for $9 a month and 1000+ minutes to use in that year.

Dang it REW...I wanted the long urls. I dont have to scroll with my widescreen monitor :(

If I werent lazy, i'd edit them back in...

Thanks, () I'll need this for my prior-Free2go phone. :)

http://www.gobeyondwireless.com/catalog/faq.php#15
Q. What if I already own a phone, can I use it with Beyond Wireless?
A. To see if your phone is compatible with Beyond Wireless take it to a Beyond Wireless store, or authorized dealer. One of our agents will determine whether or not your phone is compatible. Also you can call us directly at 1-800-777-9773 and we can determine compatibility. We can even activate the phone for you. No hassle, no need to leave your home!

If its a former free2go phone that used the free2go TDMA system, it'll work with beyond wireless.

I think all of the free2go phones sold in at least the last 3-4 years were the tdma variety.

Look up the make and model number online and you should see some specs on the makers web site indicating the signal method...if its tdma, you're good to go.

It oughta work, they sell my model on their website!
(and it is tdma)

Then you're good to go. Call cingular first (611) and tell them you're selling the phone, and ask them to release your ESN. Then beyondwireless can bond your phones ESN to their service almost immediately. Otherwise they'll have to request cingular to do it, and when cingular sees that you're going to a competitor they'll take days or weeks to release the ESN.

But in the first post, you say they're reselling Cingular service?

Anyway, it may be a little while til I switch over. You can still buy minutes cheap on ebay for free2go which expire year end (at least when i last checked) which i plan to do to keep rollover minutes a few more months. My next refill is needed early october, so i'd only waste a week of service.

When I switch over (probably very early in the year) I'll try to remember to post my findings here. I'm wondering if some of the cingular/att resellers will raise their prices after jan 1, since that's when the old cheap minutes expire far as i can tell. Another reason for me to wait... i'd hate to switch now and then have to swithc again around January. (I'm skeptical about the never expiring minutes with gobeyond and tmobile, but will be great if it lasts)

Thanks again for the post. I was going to try airvoicewireless.com but gobeyondwireless looks better. :)

Beyond does resell time on the old at&t tdma network that cingular acquired, but cingular will shut that network down in a few years (most likely)...the main cingular network has its own pay as you go plan, but it stunk when I last looked at it.

According to http://cellguru.net/prepaid_compare.htm

Beyond Wireless: Free activation and free (35 minutes) initial airtime if you bring your own phone. $10 (80 minutes) initial airtime if you buy a phone from Beyond Wireless.

If that really works, and plan never changes, would be totally free for 70 months if you use every 60 days for 1 minute.

Also see the above website's chart of plans, which shows beyondwireless as the cheapest.

lazyday said:
If that really works, and plan never changes, would be totally free for 70 months if you use every 60 days for 1 minute.

And then on that last month, with two minutes left, you need to make an emergency call.... better speak quickly! ;)

That is correct...even long unsubscribed phones will dial 911, as long as the network the phone was originally bonded to still exists you should be good. To test an old phone, dial 611 or *611 (customer service) and see if you get any sort of message or an actual customer service rep. If that happens, you still have an active (but unauthorized) connection to the cell network.

We keep an old nokia phone that hasnt been subscribed in years plugged into a charger, sitting in the office, specifically for emergency use in the case of cut lines or mass power outages.

Many roadside problems are not worthy of a 911 call though. Ten bucks to STI mobile or Beyond Wireless and a quick call every month or so to keep the balance rolling is a small price to pay if you find yourself with a dead car or a flat tire on a country road somewhere...

I have yet to need or buy a cell phone but when I begin to do more travelling by car, I certainly will get one.

MJ

() said:
http://www.tmobile.com/prepaid/overview.asp

Buy a phone, buy a $100 card from cheapphonecards with a discount and coupon, add it to the phone.  Phone service for $9 a month and 1000+ minutes to use in that year.
Thanks for the tip. I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago and so far so good. I drove across the state today and coverage was good. I bought the phone online from tmobile(too lazy to go to walmart) and the online service showed you get 2 months with 60 minutes as a starter package. I have made 3 calls and just checked my minutes remaining and I have 251 minutes with 3 months of usage. They must have goofed when they set me up but don't tell them about it.  :)  This will be a perfect low cost emergency phone.

Dumb question. The prepaid minutes are nationwide minutes. I know this means I can call anywhere in the states from my home state but if I am out of state and call home, will I be charged a higher rate? I assumed so but can't find any info on this.  :-\

DOG51 said:
The prepaid minutes are nationwide minutes. I know this means I can call anywhere in the states from my home state but if I am out of state and call home, will I be charged a higher rate? I assumed so but can't find any info on this. :-\

No they are anywhere minutes, just do not work in Canada.

SWR

Sounds too good to be true, but worked for me:

http://gobeyondwireless.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=32

Get a used Nokia phone and a $10 card (80 minutes) for $10 + shipping (about $5.)

Minutes never expire if you use the phone once every 60 days. I ordered two phones, total came to about $27. Both Nokias in good condition, with Nokia li-on batteries. Both seem to work fine. Each came with the 80min activated.

If you want to post this deal on fatwallet or other deal websites, I hope you'll wait a day or two to let others on this forum in first.
I'm a fan of fatwallet, but wouldn't be surprised if hundreds of people jump on this deal, and the company may have to pull the offer.
They might be happy to get the free advertising though.

That is correct...even long unsubscribed phones will dial 911, as long as the network the phone was originally bonded to still exists you should be good. To test an old phone, dial 611 or *611 (customer service) and see if you get any sort of message or an actual customer service rep. If that happens, you still have an active (but unauthorized) connection to the cell network.

OK, I took my wifes old cell phone and charged it up. I dialed *611 and got the customer service voice mail menu.

So, If I need a cell phone to call for a Tow-Truck can I call *911 ?? Is a broken down car an emergency ? That's about the only reason (other than a real emergency) that I can think of keeping the phone around for.

As another issue, Is there a way to make a credit card call using the network (at maybe 50 cents a minute) ? That way if I needed a tow truck I could just use the phone that way ? Since I wouldn't use the phone that often I wouldn't worry about a high per-minute rate.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Update for anyone who went with STI Mobile. They just changed their plans to charge a daily 'fee'. Plan 1 subscribers (domestic) are charged 10c a day. Plan 2 subscribers (international) pay 39c a day.

This still makes it one of the cheaper plans at $~36 a year if you dont use many or any minutes (emergency only phone).

I decided that offering people a great deal until you've signed a lot of subscribers, then charging them a fee once you've gotten them to buy the phone, was something I wasnt going to support. Chucking this phone and going back to t-mobile to go. Its a hundred bucks a year for 1000 minutes, so its not 'almost free' but its pretty cheap and you can yap on it a while now and then and not worry about using up the minutes.

T-mobile also appears to have changed their plan though. Used to be the 1000 minute card ($100) lasted a year and if you put another $100/one year card on before that year expired, the original 1000 minutes rolled over, but only for another year, then those original minutes expired. Now they dont roll over, but once you've put a $100 card on it, all minutes you buy after that last a year even if its a small card that normally expires in a few months, and you get a bonus 15% on every card purchase...IE a $100 card gets you 1150 minutes.

Not sure if that deal is better than the old one. Guess it depends on if you tend to use 1000 minutes a year or not.

Beyond wireless is still hanging in there with a nearly free phone deal if you dont use any minutes except in emergencies and you remember to make one call every 2 months to keep the minutes alive.

MasterBlaster, I see nobody answered your questions...

I suspect if you dialed 911 for a broken down car, you'd be told off. Maybe if it was broken down because someone rammed you off the road or put a bullet through the radiator. Emergency is roughly considered a crime has been committed or someone needs medical care...more or less.

But...you can go with one of these plans like t-mobile, sti or beyond, and let your minutes expire, call 611 to get customer service and add minutes to the phone on the spot. You may need to pay a 'reactivation fee' and you will most likely get a new phone number. You might also be on the phone a little while doing this, and you might need the ESN number from the phone, which is under the battery, so you'll want to get that before you call CS ;)

Lazyday's GoBeyondWireless looks the best -- too good to be true. What am I missing? Has it worked out for you LD?

Back
Top Bottom