Did you buy an Epson inkjet printer 1999-2006?

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
Epson is settling litigation that their printers quit printing before the inkjet cartridges are empty. The details are here and here's who's included in the proposed class-action settlement:
The “Settlement Class” certified by the Court for settlement purposes is defined as all persons, sole proprietorships, partnerships, corporations or any other entities located within the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who, on or after April 8, 1999 and through May 8, 2006: (i) purchased, leased or otherwise received any Epson inkjet printer (“Epson InkJet Printer”) (specifically including, but not limited to, Epson Stylus printers (desktop and photo models), PictureMate printers and Epson Pro model printers(ProGraphics printers, large format printers and proofing printers) but excluding Epson branded point of sale receipt printers); and who (ii) purchased, utilized or otherwise received any inkjet cartridge for an Epson InkJet Printer (“Epson Ink Cartridge”).

Here's the list of qualifying printers. For you JG types, note that you could theoretically buy one of the printers on this list before 8 May (perhaps even if you get it at a garage sale!) and submit a claim for a $25 check plus a $20 e-credit at the Epson store. That's just one of the three settlement options.

You mean they programmed them to run out early? Why not just put less ink in the cartridges -- I mean, how would we ever know? Cartridge ink costs is one of those few remaining areas where I throw up my hands and just figure I am going to get nailed. Might be able to drag out an old receipt for the Epson we junked, but $25 wouldn't come close to recovering the hundreds we gave them for ink...

I have a Stylus C64 and have indeed noticed a significant amount of ink sloshing around when the printer tells me it's "out of ink". It seems almost 1/4 full. $45 would compensate me for about 2 ink changes out of dozens... :mad: :mad:

I also noticed when the ink level is "low", it tells me I can print, say, 80 more pages at some assumed level of ink coverage. I am lucky to get 5, and I don't print ink-heavy things...

..longing for the olden days when you'd know to change the cartridge when the ink stopped coming out...

Question is, are they going to provide a software upgrade so we can get all the ink out of future cartridges, as well as any we may already have bought? If the status quo continues, why would the lawyers accept such a paltry a one-time settlement?  :confused:

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up, Nords!

The thing that bugged me the most about my Epson was that both cartridges had to be full to make it work. I rarely printed anything in color, but the color cartridge would dry out anyway, and I couldn't even print black text until I replaced the color cartridge. I think those things were close to $30. What a racket!

CJ

Nords - I did get a new epson this past January - an All-in-one CX4200 that was Free-after-rebate - I followed your links and signed up online for the $45 back - Love those better-than-free-after-rebate deals :D :D :D

That makes my new AMD 3400+ Computer and Epson Printer deal cost just over $100 including tax after rebates, etc.   :D

Thanks for the post,
JohnP

JohnP said:
Nords - I did get a new epson this past January - an All-in-one CX4200 that was Free-after-rebate - I followed your links and signed up online for the $45 back - Love those better-than-free-after-rebate deals :D :D :D
I've been waiting for TH to point out that we could all be buying Epsons for the next few weeks, filing for the settlement, and then returning the printers for refunds...

Back
Top Bottom