Brother Multi-Function Printers

rk911

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Greetings:

My current Brother printer (MFC 8860DN) is about 10-yrs old and is slowing down plus I'm having occasional paper feed issues. So, I'm in the market for a new Brother MFC printer and have narrowed down my choices to three models:

• MFC L585-DW
  • MFC L2750DW
  • DCP L2550DW

My issue is how these printers eject envelopes and checks. My current printer ejects envelopes and checks the same way it ejects printed pages...in the front. Looking online I'm finding videos and diagrams for the above models that indicate that envelopes (the videos don't mention checks) are ejected in the rear of the printer. That's a problem since the printer will sit on a counter up against the wall. Pulling it forward to grab checks or envelopes is a non-starter. The sales-people in stores tell me that *everything* is ejected in front. I've tried calling Brother for a pre-sales chat but they don't seem to understand the issue.

I'm looking to hear from anyone using one of the above models who can confirm from where checks and envelopes are ejected. I would consider an Epson or HP multi function but I've had superb performance from my current Brother which is why they're my first choice.

Thanks.

Greetings:

My current Brother printer (MFC 8860DN) is about 10-yrs old and is slowing down plus I'm having occasional paper feed issues. So, I'm in the market for a new Brother MFC printer and have narrowed down my choices to three models:

• MFC L585-DW
  • MFC L2750DW
  • DCP L2550DW

My issue is how these printers eject envelopes and checks. My current printer ejects envelopes and checks the same way it ejects printed pages...in the front. Looking online I'm finding videos and diagrams for the above models that indicate that envelopes (the videos don't mention checks) are ejected in the rear of the printer. That's a problem since the printer will sit on a counter up against the wall. Pulling it forward to grab checks or envelopes is a non-starter. The sales-people in stores tell me that *everything* is ejected in front. I've tried calling Brother for a pre-sales chat but they don't seem to understand the issue.

I'm looking to hear from anyone using one of the above models who can confirm from where checks and envelopes are ejected. I would consider an Epson or HP multi function but I've had superb performance from my current Brother which is why they're my first choice.

Thanks.

I've got the MFC-L2700DW which is similar to the MFC-L2750DW you are considering. While I have never printed an envelope using this printer, according to Brother's help website, the envelope exits the back of the printer.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/faq...rod=mfcl2750dw_us_eu_as&faqid=faq00003097_025

I used to have a Word doc with an envelope template on it. I'll try to find it and test my L2700DW, but it seems as if it exits the back of the machine. BTW, it's been an excellent printer.

Last edited:
I used to have a Word doc with an envelope template on it. I'll try to find it and test my L2700DW, but it seems as if it exits the back of the machine. BTW, it's been an excellent printer.

I can confirm that printing envelopes with my L2700DW exit out the back side of the printer.

I quit printing on the outside of envelopes years ago. Instead I use standard windowed envelopes and print a Word.doc page formatted with my return address in the upper left hand corner of an 8.5" x 11" piece of paper and the recipient's name and address in the left-upper middle of that same page. Next I tri-fold the paper so the two addresses can be see through the envelope's window. (I put a hyphen character in the Word.doc at the appropriate spot which prints on the left edge of the piece of paper to act as a guide when folding the paper.) Then, whatever I'm actually wanting to mail goes into the envelope with my address cover page.

Unless you need to actually print on an envelope, perhaps because you are sending a formal correspondence, this method is a handy technique.

Last edited:
I've got the MFC-L2700DW which is similar to the MFC-L2750DW you are considering. While I have never printed an envelope using this printer, according to Brother's help website, the envelope exits the back of the printer.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/faq...rod=mfcl2750dw_us_eu_as&faqid=faq00003097_025

i bought my Brother printer about 10-yrs ago, mostly due to price. i never expected it to remain in service this long. very happy. :dance:

appreciate you doing a test. thanks.

I can confirm that printing envelopes with my L2700DW exit out the back side of the printer.

I quit printing on the outside of envelopes years ago. Instead I use standard windowed envelopes and print a Word.doc page formatted with my return address in the upper left hand corner of an 8.5" x 11" piece of paper and the recipient's name and address in the left-upper middle of that same page. Next I tri-fold the paper so the two addresses can be see through the envelope's window. (I put a hyphen character in the Word.doc at the appropriate spot which prints on the left edge of the piece of paper to act as a guide when folding the paper.) Then, whatever I'm actually wanting to mail goes into the envelope with my address cover page.

Unless you need to actually print on an envelope, perhaps because you are sending a formal correspondence, this method is a handy technique.

interesting idea. i'll have to mull that over. thanks!

i primt my checks using Quicken and mail them using Quicken window envelopes. any chance you'd be willing to share that Word template?

I have had the 2750 model for several years. When I print envelopes they come out the front of the printer where the regular printed pages come out. I have never printed my checks but I am sure it would be the same. I do think that if you leave the back door open on the printer that printed items may exit there. My printer has been great. Currently on my third drum. I will buy the same or updated model when the time comes.

I have had the 2750 model for several years. When I print envelopes they come out the front of the printer where the regular printed pages come out. I have never printed my checks but I am sure it would be the same. I do think that if you leave the back door open on the printer that printed items may exit there. My printer has been great. Currently on my third drum. I will buy the same or updated model when the time comes.

i was wondering about that...if the envelopes would take an alternatiive path if the rear exit was not available. of course that raises the question what advantage there is in having the envelopes exit in the rear. and that might account for why the sales people in the stores all said that envelopes exit through the front.

Last edited:
IIRC even the Brother printers now use chipped toner cartridges - no more generic toner.

I bet exiting out the back avoids bending the envelope.

interesting idea. i'll have to mull that over. thanks!

i primt my checks using Quicken and mail them using Quicken window envelopes. any chance you'd be willing to share that Word template?

Sure I'd send you the Word.doc. We just have to figure out how to do it. I don't think it can be done via private messages as I don't see a way to add an attachment.

Several months ago I got rid of our Epson inkjet printer and replaced it with a Brother MFC-L3770CDW color laser. I was tired of always having some sort of clogging issue (whether subtle or worse) due to inkjet technology. The Brother prints everything perfectly, every time. It does good with photos, but not as good as an inkjet would, but we never print out photos like that. It would handle the envelopes correctly for your use case.

For envelopes, I print to a sheet of labels. More specially Avery 5160 template format.

Getting envelops fed to a printer is too much of a hassle IMO.

Several months ago I got rid of our Epson inkjet printer and replaced it with a Brother MFC-L3770CDW color laser. I was tired of always having some sort of clogging issue (whether subtle or worse) due to inkjet technology. The Brother prints everything perfectly, every time. It does good with photos, but not as good as an inkjet would, but we never print out photos like that. It would handle the envelopes correctly for your use case.

Camfused - I'm looking to replace my printer with a color laser. I'll start a new thread and would appreciate it if you could provide a "review" of your Brother printer.

For envelopes, I print to a sheet of labels. More specially Avery 5160 template format.

Getting envelops fed to a printer is too much of a hassle IMO.

That's a great method if you're printing 20-30 envelopes, since there are 30 labels per sheet, otherwise you end up wasting labels. But most of the time I only need to print one or two envelopes and I find my method of printing a cover sheet of recipient and return address and then using a windowed envelope to be a neat solution.

That's a great method if you're printing 20-30 envelopes, since there are 30 labels per sheet, otherwise you end up wasting labels. But most of the time I only need to print one or two envelopes and I find my method of printing a cover sheet of recipient and return address and then using a windowed envelope to be a neat solution.

Yeah, I like that solution. I’m going to get window envelopes next time.

If I only need one or two envelopes, there's this instrument that I hold in my hand. I apply pressure to the instrument and it's really cool. Ink come out on paper. The instrument is called a pen :).

Oh, I also have a Brother label maker that can print single labels. But since I have different sized labels, it's too much effort to swap a different sized ribbon for just an envelop or two. So, I go with the pen in those situations :).

If I only need one or two envelopes, there's this instrument that I hold in my hand. I apply pressure to the instrument and it's really cool. Ink come out on paper. The instrument is called a pen :)

I have heard of those devices. My understanding is that they could run out of ink, or their "print head" could get clogged too.

If I only need one or two envelopes, there's this instrument that I hold in my hand. I apply pressure to the instrument and it's really cool. Ink come out on paper. The instrument is called a pen :).

i print envelopes primarily because my handwriting is atrocious.

I have heard of those devices. My understanding is that they could run out of ink, or their "print head" could get clogged too.

That's what good backup pens are for :).

The cleanest look is to use a window envelope and a template to print the address slip to go inside.

My wife uses an old blank label, scribble on it, and pastes it over the window.
:D

Back
Top Bottom